New carpeting now in

DAVES89

Yesterday my mechanic friend and I did the carpeting. We bought from car-motor sports and the quality was good. Car looks great. Took much more time then I expected. One thing to caution on, check your pieces ahead of time. My console pieces were cut wrong[too short and fuse box holes wrong place/size]. Otherwise fit was very good and pieces were generously cut. [i went back to Dr. Vinyl and he repainted the console carpet out for me. Don't really like painted interior carpet but I started thinking about how hard it would be to get the new carpeting back on the console plastic backing pieces. So I went that way and that too looks good.] No longer do I have a "pink" carpet. Put in my Reatta floormats that I had been storing and the car looks great.Smells like a new car.

The very last thing on my "to do" list is painting the car all the way around down to the body side mouldings. That will be this winter when I store the car.

Dave, you need to post more info on were you got the carpet and how to contact them. What was the cost? Are they advertising all Reatta interior colors?

Also, If the console carpet was wrong, you should get back with them to get it corrected. Otherwise the next customer will have the same problem.

I contacted carmotorsports.com I spoke to a guy named Chad. He was obviously new but tried to be helpful. Rather then wait for carpet samples,I told him what the interior Reatta color code was [in my case 66]. He checked with someone [maybe the owner?] and called me back and said it was a brown and they could order it out.[This makes me think they have a cross reference]. I ordered the complete kit package[front,back,door,and console pieces] at $239.95 plus $30.00 freight. When I got the packeage [2 boxes] I opened the small one up and was satisfied with the color and but did not check the pieces.

About 2 weeks later I went over to my friends house and we started the job. While the carpet pieces are formed to fit, and they fit well,you have to do all the cutting. The pieces that are supposed to have backing do, and the parts that don't need backing don't. Overall I was pleased except for when we got to the console. My 3 console pieces were not cut right for the '88/'89. They may work for the '90/'91. Barney if you want them I will send them to you so you can check it out for yourself. Anyhow when we saw the console pieces were wrong I got on the phone and called Chad. He checked with the mill and as they thought that their pattern was correct all they could/would do is send 2-6'x2' pieces. Which I accepted. Because I refinished the old console pieces[and you barely see them anyway] I am going to have them [the 6'x2' pieces] made into floor mats. The color match is good,because when I took off the Reatta floor mat emblem,toflip the mat overthe color matched very well.

Because of all the trim that needs to come off,and the cutting and fitting that needed to be done, It took us about 7 hours. [He did most of the work and carpting is basically a 1 man job]. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

I hope I adressed most of your questions,please continue to comment and I wil respond.

I’ve received my full set of molded carpets some weeks ago and have yet to find the time to install them. Initially I only received the interior but a call to them resulted in the delivery of the accessory kit and cargo.

$260.00 total. The series 1000 as was explained to me is the oem plus ultra premium carpet colors. A wide variety of colors.

When I spoke with them, Chad was new to the job and needed to speak to Alan Faircloth for clarification.

Refer to matthewlawe posts of 8/8/07 and daves89 of 8/18/07

Barney, I’m pleased with the color and texture, but oem….? The blue that I ordered is a very good match to the blue sapphire of the interior. My original carpet was so faded it could be considered gray. Of course I do not know what the original color looked like.

Regards,

1989 White/Blue

I was delivering the seats to Mr Vinyl when my buddy started in. When I got back he had the lids off and the carpet off and the new carpet installed on the lids,as well as all the trim off, bins out, and all the carpeting removed.[i was gone less then 1 hour]. I am assuming they peel off like they do on the doors. Use spray adhesive [both the lid and the carpet and put new pieces in place, do the same for the bins themselves].

One thing I thought of after we were done was to use plastic bags filled with sand to force the carpet to lay tight against the interior sides and bottom of the storage bins. We tried gluing and holding the carpet with our hands, but that didn't work.The preformed carpet fits the bin it just isn't glued like from the factory. You will notice that there are staples holding the carpet on the back side of the bins. That we found later was something we did not have to restaple as the bin is held in place front and back with screws,and the trim fits over the sides and back. As you fold the carpet over the back of the bins you will see some puckering. Slice in the puckers and allow them to overlap. No need to glue on the back side,or worry about restapling as the trim and mounting screws holds everything well. Leave the front of the bin panel long so you can fold the new carpet up past the 4 screws on the backside. This way the carpet can't work its way back out. Do not drill thru the carpet, use a pointed punch or awl,ice pick,etc. You will have to at least double the length of the bin hinge screws, as well as go longer on the 4 screws that go into the front of the bin panel[because of the folded over carpet]. One note of a personal nature, my bins were dated 12/15/1988 and initialed D.C.L. which are my initials as well as 12/16 being my birthday. So this car could very well have been finished the next day which would have been my 32nd birthday. I bought the car on my 50th birthday. Pretty cool. Be very careful removing the trim pieces as these cars are old and the plastic is very brittle. Just snapping the plastic thresholds back in we cracked one and broke the other. Went to the u-pick yard got both for $5.00 painted them to match with the SEM spray paint[see my dash nightmare postings],and reinstalled. I will post pictures when either my wife or daughter comes home with a camera. One thing I apoligize for is not taking pictures while doing this.

Just today via UPS recieved the 2-6'x2' carpet. It came as 1-6'x4' piece. Went to my upholstery lady and she would cut and sew them into floormats for less then $20.00. My mom has one of those computer sewing machines and maybe I can beg her enough to make me a few of those logos for on the mat.

Cool! I want to redo the carpet in my new Reatta, but it still looks so good, save for right by the speakers, really muddy there, then again, I havent even tried cleaning it. I really want/need to replace the carpet in the trunk. There were some animals in there...

The local franchisee of Dr. Vinyl said that they have a new treatment made for leather. As it comes to this car, I am a sucker for almost anything, so I bought in. Overall I am pleased with what he was able to do. I am glad I came accross this guy. He has over 20 years experience and knew what he was doing.

I was told that the carpet in the rear did not have the storage compartments molded. Yours looks great.

I was searching for carpet for another car and found that ACC list carpet for the Reatta. Their web page is www.accmats.com 800-352-8216

I have no details on what is supplied with the carpet, I don't know if you get or can get extra carpet for the console and door panels.

If anyone checks into ACC's Reatta carpet please post the information

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest daveagain909

any one know if this interior carpet kit is still available? every where I go they only have the molded frnt not the back? also does anyone know were to get the material for the front speaker covers. or where to get grey ones for a 1990 reatta (drivers side.)

The carpeting doesn't appear to be the "correct" plush type as was OEM.

On my new '88 the PO replaced the carpeting with regular-type automotive carpeting and while it is properly installed and all I do miss the velour-like proper carpeting... I dunno it just is nicer.

Guest drtoddh

I just finished recarpeting my 89 red/tan 2 weeks ago. Ordered the carpet from stockinteriors.com. It was very nice color that matched well. Quality was excellent. The front molded section fit perfectly. Unfortunately, daveagain, I don't believe anyone offers the rear in a molded form. I think I ordered two extra yards of carpet. That was enough to cover the rear shelf and do the trim. I ended up leaving the original carpet in the "Cubby holes" in the back because there is no way youre going to get a flat piece of carpet to conform to that. I ended up leaving the carpet off the cubby hole covers. I thought it made a nice contrast with the carpet. I had trouble with a couple of wrinkles right behind the seats on the shelf at the corners of the shelf because it is a flat piece of carpet trying to conform to the curves. It really is not that noticeable. If I was braver I would slit the carpet but I am afraid I would ruin it. Overall, I am very happy with it. I'll try to post pix sometime. Todd

Barney,

I linked to their trim store and did notice they offer

a 4 piece floor mat set. Over the years I've run across

a number of stores that sell a 4 piece floor mat set.

I've not purchased from these stores simply because I

do not need the rear floor mats-not much foot traffic back

there-so I'm unable to answer your question.

Some years ago I believe <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> mentioned on the forum

that the front floor mats have the same contour as the Riviera

and Allante which was a big help.

Regards,

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue

I’ve been remiss in not providing any pictures and

installation details when I installed new molded

carpet from Carmotorsports.com in August 2007.

Overall, the installation was trouble free and I

was pleased with the product and service provided

by Carmotorsports.

The replacement package was a compete set which

included the interior, cargo and accessory kits.

The interior was a perfect fit and extended well

up to the firewall and extended beyond and under

the forward lip of the cargo area. Some trimming

was needed around the console area and the trim

pieces at the door thresholds. The cargo kit fit perfectly

with enough extra(and a little trimming) to allow it to

be installed under the side and rear panels. I elected to

remove the cargo fiberglass tub for ease of installing the

carpet as well as the side and rear panels. Barney provided

precise instructions for the panel removal. I didn’t lose,

break or bend any of the retaining pins.

The accessory kit included carpet for the door panels as well

as trimmed pieces for the hatch covers and console. The

console pieces consisted of two pieces and were for the

1991 console (and perhaps the 1990 also). (see picture)

Carmotorsports sent additional carpet(4x6) so that I was

able to cut my own single piece for my console surround. The

carpet panels for the doors were a perfect fit. The hatch cover

pieces were a perfect fit.

I did add more jute under the interior carpet as well as a heat

shield. Perhaps overkill but I decided to do so for more sound

deadening and heat protection qualities.

Cautions:

When I was removing the interior, there was a grounding wire

connection to the firewall up high behind the brake pedal that

came loose. The backing plates for the luggage holding strap

located just forward of the hatch latch were not permanently

attached. Since I had removed the cargo tub to carpet it, I had

no problem in reattaching the backing plate once the carpet

was installed. I didn’t use “sand bags” as the carpet was an

excellent fit. I just used plenty of adhesive spray.

The only heart rendering cut I had to do was to make a cut from

the forward end of the interior carpet, down the center and no

further then the end of the console surround. The Burgundy

carpet picture is a good example of what the carpet looks like

once out of the vehicle and the area down the center where the

cut was made…..in addition to widening it to allow for the console width.

Regards,

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue

post-30625-143138024357_thumb.jpg

post-30625-143138024362_thumb.jpg

post-30625-143138024367_thumb.jpg

post-30625-143138024372_thumb.jpg

Guest Greg Ross

Matthewlawe,

For those poor unfortunates such as myself who still do not have access to "High Speed" would you be so kind as to make another posting which includes just the links to these images, not the images themselves.

I've "refreshed" several times and my ISP just times me out before the last 4 or 5 images load up.

Thanks,

Greg

Absolutely.We both purchased about the same time.

You also helped me decide to completely remove the

fiberglass back deck.

Also, a note to our fellow members....I sent an

email to the Ebay supplier listed above asking about

contour carpet for the back deck. No reply as yet.

Also,since Carmotorsports still lists the back deck

(cargo)on their website, I called on two separate

occasions but their voicemail is full. Hmmmm....

Regards

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue