Tucker on Ebay

Dan Marx

Well, that has to be the most screwed up Tucker ever with the wrong engine in the wrong end of the car crazy.gif.... but it is pretty obvious that I will never own a Tucker....

Since that one looks great but even this one is WAY out of my price range. frown.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Guest Skyking

I wish the guy would get his story straight about what engine is in the car. First he states it's a Meteor, then corrects himself and states a Monterey, then answers a question to someone telling him it's a Meteor........in any case, it is different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Kinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Tucker was rear engined. It was a Lycoming Helocopter engine adapted for use in the Tucker. </div></div>

Actually it was a modified Franklin helicopter engine.

correct Steve, A Franklin design, built by "Air Cooled Motors" of Syracuse, NY. My father worked there when the Tucker contracted engines were built. Air Cooled was the remnants of Franklin, they continued to build aircraft engines through the 60s and are now built in Poland.

(outstanding engines by the way)

Is this the car that was owned by the guy that started Dominos Pizza?

Here is the info from the eBay listing that will add a little more to this thread. The question really is not why this car has a Merc motor in front, but rather, is what the seller is saying is accurate.

"Q: can you please extrapolate as to why it has the current running gear in as opposed to the original running gear; it appears to have the motor in front? why is that? also, what is the history of the car and what, if any, original parts do you have for it that aren't pictured? please advise, thanks Aug-10-07

A: The last 10 on the assembly line didn't have the running gear installed. When these cars were purchased by the original owners all were finished out except for number 46 which was fitted out with an Oldsmobile chassis. The first owner of this car had 9 other Tuckers that were original. They were toured around to state fairs and showed off to the public in exhibitions. The second owner purchased it in 1962 and chose this one because of he wanted to drive it cross country and didn't want to have to worry about finding parts. In 1964 he took a brand new Mercury Meteor and changed it out with the Oldsmobile chassis. The dash is also from the Mercury but the rest of the interior is original. It was driven all over the country and shown in car shows. It was also used to premier the Tucker movie at two different theaters. We bought it from the second owner 5 years ago and have done some more improvements in that time. This car has had an engine in the front for almost 60 years now. I do not have any other extra parts like the Franklin engine or the Cord transmission."

I am the owner of this car. It is #46. I am a member of the Tucker club and have been one for over 5 years. This car has been taken to two different Tucker conventions and has its history has been documented by the club. The information that I listed on the auction has been told to me by other members of the Tucker club. I would never change an original car of any kind into a street rod. I believe in keeping cars original. This car was changed almost 60 years ago by the first owner (Nick Jenin) who did it so his daughter could drive it. Back then the cars were a novelty and he had 9 other original ones. It's not like today where no one would think of doing such a thing. I would love for someone to get it and put it back onto a Tucker drivetrain. There are still many engines and other extra parts available to make it whole again.

Thanks for posting. I really wish I could "make it whole again", but as I posted earlier.... It is already WAY out of my price range, and I have no idea how high it is going to go. I hope that somebody with the money necessary to "make it whole again" buys it. Good Luck with your auction!