Crow: mmm-mmm good (long post)

Some may recall my posts in the past about owning cars 15 years old and older.<P>The reason I was always able to get away with this was that I have four fully-licensed vehicles, plus one hiding behind antique tags, and of course Adja which doesn't run. So with four cars to choose from, when one broke it was no big deal: drive something else. Law of averages should say that I'd probably have one car waiting for repairs almost all the time, but overall there'd always be something to drive.<P>Well.<P>First car down. I've been working on a custom brake system for Jaguars for quite a while. Still not done.<P>Second car down. Months later, on the way back from a car show, the Charger (antique tag car) developed a loud rattle in the suspension. Diagnosis revealed way too much play up front.<P>Third car down. Two weeks later, on the way back from BWI airport, the 700R4 with 172,000 miles on it, in my Camaro, let go. Limped it to my parents' house where it remains. Borrowed a Suburban my parents weren't using.<P>Fourth car down. One week later, the radiator in my pickup truck lets go.<P>Fifth car down. Two days later, the borrowed Suburban shuts off at a railroad crossing and won't restart. Hundreds of people drive by as I try to push a Suburban up a hill by myself. A man with swastika and SS tattoos all over his body stops to help; he has a tow rope. We towed it to a gas station, where it remains.<P>Sixth car down. Next day, the radiator in my wife's Porsche lets go.<P>No cars left.<P>I take this opportunity to reevaluate my life's choices, at least as they regard personal transportation. Then I get a ride from a coworker to a Mazda dealer, where I spend six hours negotiating on a used Miata. 133 hp, RWD, 5-spd, top comes down, what's not to like? It's a Triumph reborn. Perfect for my daily 100-mile drive (I hope).<P>So the Porsche, Jag, and Camaro are up for sale, as soon as I've repaired the radiator, brakes, and tranny respectively. I'm fixing the pickup's radiator this evening so that I can help a friend move some arcade games (somehow I resisted spending the extra $40 for the heavy duty radiator). Tomorrow morning I'm driving to Carlisle to pick up a known-good used 700R4. I still don't even know what's wrong with the Suburban. Since I don't have a trailer, I'm probably going to rent a truck & trailer to haul the Suburban back to my parents' mechanic and pick up the Camaro. Then once we've sold off a couple of these beasties, I'm going to find a nice car for Kara.<P>The good part of all this, aside from the enormous gas savings and repair savings, is that it should free up a lot of time since the most troublesome cars will be gone. That leaves me time for... the antiques! The 1940 Chrysler and 1970 Charger. One of my goals is to get the Charger repaired well enough that I can put regular tags on it again, and I'd like to get the Chrysler running at all.<P>So the idea of running ALL old cars didn't work out that well, at least not in a household that covers as much ground as we do. It's disappointing because I really enjoy the two GTs, but on the other hand my antiques are my first priority and now I'll actually be able to do something with them.<P>Maybe it's for the best. Pass the barbecue sauce please.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Look on the bright side Bry, at least you don't play with airplanes!<BR>Terry

I suspect that every one of us that likes old cars has at one time in their life tried to get by with no new vehicles in the stable. I suspect that nearly every one of us has also experienced a time when nothing was drivable.<P>My experience coincided with a brush fire up wind from my house. I spent a night laying awake in bed listening to the water drop helicopters pass overhead. I wondered what I'd do if an evacuation order came out. It really is difficult to pack up a couple of dogs and what ever else you want to save and "drive" off on your only working vehicle when that vehicle is a bicycle. frown.gif" border="0<P>On the other hand, I have had a couple of times when the new car was broken and I just <span style="font-style: italic">had</span> to use the antique car to get to work. smile.gif" border="0

Bry, did you learn this 15 year old rule from your parents? You didn't say how old the Suburban( or as some of us refer to them: Subscotch) was. Are all their vehicles that old also?<P>Don't feel lonely. There's been times when the only thing I had left to drive was the '77 Kenworth. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Great choice in the Miata, Bry! I wish I could get away with one. Upstairs in a box I have every brochure from 1990 to 1999. It's tough to stuff both kids in the trunk, however. rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>P.S. You do know that the story in the bible of "the good Samaritan" was meant to be slightly ironic, don't you. The Israelites and a Samaritans as a rule despised each other. It was supposed to be a suprise that the Samaritan would help the Hebrew man in the proverb. I'm glad your Samaritan came by when he did.

I used to brag that the sum total cost of all my iron was less than the cost of my wife's only car (the only modern one in the family and, with warranty in place). Unlike Bry's present predicament, mine all presently start and run. However, with college around the corner, etc. etc., some will have to go. There was a time several years ago when the gods zapped each of my cars nearly at the same time and left me pondering. The 69 benz wouldn't start, the 84 alfa water pump blew, the 68 roadrunner's radiator split, the 64 olds spewed gas from the carb., and the 87 peugeot's starter stopped. Patience saw me through this. I could have caved but would have been far more disappointed had a modern, souless, expensive ride gone sour. They do go sour and once out $20,000 or more, it ain't a pleasant taste. I'll take the $1,500 ride and roll the dice. Happy motoring. A miata?

Hi guys! Thanks for the replies. smile.gif" border="0 I've had some interest in some of the cars, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.<P>A couple direct answers:<BR>Alan: The Suburban is an '85, but they bought it new. They like to buy new cars and hang on to them for 10 to 15 years.<P>Dave: The earliest ones are readily available in the $5,000 range... maybe you can use the gas mileage (30 mpg) as an excuse to get one as a commuter car.<P>Phil: I didn't pay anywhere NEAR $20k. smile.gif" border="0 But I know what you mean. The main benefit for me is that with a couple of cars that don't require constant attention, I can spend my time with the important cars: the Charger and the Chrysler. And, since I drive 100 miles a day, doubling my fuel economy is gonna result in some serious cash savings. Which might just get spent on the antiques (we can hope, right guys?).<P>I bagged on the Miata for YEARS. But you gotta drive one. I mean you just gotta. The thing is nimble, quick, responsive, light, rear wheel drive, 5-speed, convertible, and affordable... the reason they sell so many is that there's literally no other car on the market like it. The rest are FWD, or too expensive, or too big. When this car reaches 25 years old, you're gonna see them hit AACA in DROVES. There's too many of them for them to ever hold much value, but they'll be considered classics.<P>I'm actually toying with the idea of getting a second one for racing, after I finish one of the other project cars. We shall see. Something else might come along by then.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Lurker Steve checking in...<P>I've had to drive one of my antique VWs to work on occasion, when the modern vehicle was on the fritz (luckily the antique *wasn't* at the time!). I commute 50 miles per day, most of it on congested Interstate 95 along the Connecticut shoreline. It's quite the experience to find yourself putt-putt-putting along in the slow lane, while the swaggering big rigs blow by (literally! especially when you're driving a 50 year-old Bug with bias ply tires!), and the distracted cell-phone-chatting SUV drivers climb up your back.<P>On the Miata, I've had the pleasure of driving one, and they're GREAT fun. Problem is (*my problem,* that is), they're NOT for tall drivers! I'm 6'4" and I was literally looking *over* the windshield while driving it! <P>Steve Mierz<BR>Stony Creek, CT

Guest elk93001

What year Miata?<BR>I considered (still considering..actually convincing the better half)about getting a Miata. Early ones (1990-early 91's) had some issue with the crankshaft and that you have to be careful of who and how one changed the timing belt) I don't recall all of the details. After 1992, the problem disappeared because of a design change. You may want to look at <A HREF="http://www.miata.net" TARGET=_blank>www.miata.net</A> (if you haven't already). As for being too many...look how many Ford Mustangs were made in the first year. Good luck.<P>(PS "good gas mileage" sounds like good judgement and reasoning...have to try it with my wife. ) wink.gif" border="0

Elk... I've been right around 30 mpg since I got it, and it runs on regular too! Going from 17 mpg premium to 30 mpg regular has been a (pleasant) shock to the budget. smile.gif" border="0<P>I got a 1996. Here's my rationale:<BR>The 1990-1993 cars had the 116 hp 1.6L engine. That just didn't cut it for me. The 1994-1995 cars have a 128 hp 1.8L engine, and that's actually what I was looking for. The 1996-1997 cars have 133 hp, a Good Thing, but they're OBDII, a Bad Thing. But I've had OBDII cars before and it's not as big a deal as some make it sound. You can still work with 'em. But also, in 1996, they started making a subframe brace that had previously been standard on the base model, only available through the premium package. On a convertible you want all the bracing you can get, so I had to have that brace. So my field was limited to 1994-1995 any car, or 1996-1997 with premium option group. I was actually hoping for the 94-95 car, because it would cost less, but I can't complain about what I ended up with. smile.gif" border="0<P>I found a beautiful M Edition '95 in my price range but was crestfallen when I learned it was an automatic. *sigh* frown.gif" border="0<P>I'm not an instant Miata genius. I had the MX-5 Cliffs Notes. Let me see if I can find that link again... found it! A year-by-year listing of the features and changes.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/</A> <P>That webpage really helped me figure out what car to get.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Well, Bry, you're in Virginia huh? Wait until you get your personal property tax bill after the Miata is on your record. You'll long for those 15 year old cars again. As for me, I've bought a house in Florida so I can get a drivers license there and register my three modern cars and car trailer there. You can bet, that after the current Governor is gone, the legislature will reinstate all or most of the personal property tax. I'm getting out with the 2001 Park Avenue while the getting is good! Virginia "ain't" for lovers, its for taxes.

That's true, the tax bill is gonna be higher. I remember the taxes on my old '98 Firebird were pretty bad. But they're almost done phasing it out, and if they bring it back I'll be sure to keep track of who votes for it so I can do my part to make sure they're unemployed next time around.<P>Everything's a tradeoff.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Steve,<BR> Whereabouts in Ct.? I dated my now wife many moons ago while she lived in Brookfield, then went to school in New Haven. In addition, I have a sis in Wareham and one further north in RI. Over the years I traveled that road, and the parkway(s) through southern Ct. but not for some time now. I'm Pa. born and remained so I traveled quite a bit to see them all as a younger person. Most of the mileage was in my 1956 Desoto Conv. Fireflite, which I'm sad to say is gone. On the bright side, it resides in the HET National Automobiel Museum near Rotterdam. I want it back though. Happy motoring.

Phil,<P>I live in Stony Creek, which is a section of Branford, which is on the shoreline, two towns east of New Haven. I commute daily between Stony Creek and Stratford, which is directly adjacent to Bridgeport, also on the shoreline. I pass right thru New Haven along the way. Brookfield is pretty farther west than my usual haunts.<P>The road I drive is Interstate 95 (a.k.a.: "The Connecticut Turnpike"), though I used to drive the historic old Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkway (Rt. 15) to get to work back when I lived in West Haven. The Parkway, as you may remember, doesn't allow trucks or trailers, so it's a more pleasant driving experience (though a few of the exit ramps that have yet to be re-done are rather scary when being accessed from the speeds we drive at today--far in excess of the original "design speed" of that road).<P>What a cool car you got to enjoy the CT roads with!<P>I've driven both my '50 & '60 Bugs to work, when situations demanded it, but neither I would say is particularly suited to I-95 commuting! In the warm months I typically de-activate my modern car (currently a '92 Passat) and activate my '68 Bug--a relatively "modern" kind of old Bug--and much more suitable for highway driving.<P>The little I know about PA is confined mostly to going to Hershey in the fall, which we've been doing for about 15 or so years, although we have a good friend who lives in Royersford, and we've been down there a fair number of times.<P>Steve

Steve,<BR> I remember the Merritt being a quaint bermless road with little traffic. I do recall once getting on to it by mistake in a snow storm late one night heading to New Haven. I remember vaguely having a difficult and frightful time of it in the DeSoto.<BR> My wife has a college buddy in Branford, and we have visited once or twice over the years. While I recall her name, I don't recall his. <BR> I am a member of Hershey Region and help occasionally with the Fall Meet. My dad is virtually a founding member consequently I can recall when the meet was contained in the stadium in the early 60's or thereabouts. PA generally is not too dissimilar from Ct and Mass. I have one college degree from Ursinus College which is indeed not too far from Royersford. <BR> I'm intrigued by the bugs you drive. We have a fun vw meet here in Campbelltown each year which is fairly well attended by early bugs. I was there a month ago or more scouting parts for my son's 79 bus. He doesn't have my passion I guess and now is buying a jetta, as the bus has become to expensive for him he says, with poor gas mileage. Ergo, bussy is undergoing a tune up but that said, I will likely sell it if he doesn't drive it any longer and I have no place to rest one more vehicle. I love driving the thing though ... it's quite an experience.<BR> I appreciate the update on the tpk and I do now recall the incessant need to stop and toss a quarter into a bucket ... it was kinda fun unless you were in a hurry. Also, I can appreciate the difficulty of hanging with traffic in an older car. I putter on the highway as my wife calls me a Pennsylvania Do Bee. I use my signals and everything. I go the speed of traffic but must relax when I drive so you could get a convoy between me and the next car in front. I learned this driving truck I suppose ... but I may do that route to visit my sis in RI and her new baby. The summer is young. <BR> I appreciate the reply and as always, happy motoring.<BR>phil

I also drive older vehicles(for the reasons already noted), and have benefitted from keeping a small Japanese motorcycle in the garage for a back-up. They don't take up much space, don't cost much, are very reliable, and I can tote it around in the back of my S10. They're also fun, and cheap to run. Unfortunately the manufacturers don't supply parts support for very many years.

Thanks for your reply post Phil; interesting to hear more of your experiences/background.<P>I suspect (make that: "I know") that CT traffic, especially in the southwest part of the state has been increasing steadily, so I would say "little traffic" no longer applies to the Merritt! There are no longer any tolls on it, by the way. They took them off a few years ago. One of the old "Adirondack"-style toll houses was saved and sits in "Boothe Memorial Park" (a Stratford municipal park) right near where I work (Sikorsky Aircraft, the place right on the Housatonic River, with the metal grate bridge you go over when passing by on the Merrit).<P>With your Hershey Region/local VW connections, perhaps we might know mutual people. Were you aware the President of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America is a Hershey Region member (got accepted for membership perhaps 2-3 years ago; he's also now a certified AACA Judge)? I know a few people who attended the Campbelltown meet you mention (April 29th), including one guy who just finished a full-on vintage restoration of (if you can believe this)...an early 1980s VW *Rabbit,* see: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/commongear/FeaturePhoto11.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/commongear/FeaturePhoto11.html</A> <P>You sound a little older than me (my kids are 5 and 8 years of age). I can't blame your son for the Jetta interest--the younger kids in general seem to love the modern VWs (as VW's current advertising emphasis seems to corroborate), and I can't blame them, I love my '92 Passat as well.<P>Aha! The use of turn signals! A truly Lost Art!! And, what?--keeping space between you and the car in front--positively UNHEARD OF!!<P>Thanks again for the follow-up Phil, and best regards,<P>Steve<P>[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Steve Mierz ]<P>[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Steve Mierz ]<p>[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: Steve Mierz ]

Steve,<BR> <BR>I did see an early 80's rabbit in primo condition at the meet. My radio guy in Hummelstown here, Bill Obrian, has an equally pristine 83 GTI which he uses to market his radios. It's a beaut. I expect to drag an 83 or 84 GTI home some day for a project as I had a real glint for the car when it first came out.<BR> <BR>I believe I have a photo of every car at the Cambelltown show ... I'll dig 'em out to look for the Rabbit. (Another affliction).<BR> <BR>I can't help but be intrigued also by your working at Sikorsky. I frequent one of our little airports here for 100 octane low lead for my Roadrunner. But also, my father in law is a former employee of the simulator company in Connecticut ... can't remember the name but if heights didn't freak me out so much I might also be fiddling with planes. <BR> <BR>I'll check you out in the funny pages and email if you've the inclination. I'm phildog68@aol.com and, for me the hobby is equal parts cars and people. <P>phil rainey<P>I just checked ... that's one of the cars I photographed and my photos do it justice if I don't mind saying myself. The car is dead on and I think is had a really cool original light blue interior ... if I remember correctly.

Phil,<P>I'll send you a direct e-mail follow up. I'd be interested in perhaps borrowing your photo (or perhaps a scan of it) of Mr. Russo's '80 Rabbit from the Campbelltown event, some time...<P>Bye for now,<P>Steve M.