Spare wheel mounted mirrors

Lofty

See if you can find a image of a car in the era with them in place so you can determine what will work best. With metal tire covers in the mid to late 1930s a strap on mirror most likely may not be correct, but one with a post that would bolt thru the tire cover itself at the top would/could be. Does the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America have a club technician for 1936 that could help out with the answer as to what would be correct?

I have mirrors on the side mounts on my 1930 Packard but they would be way to big and look out of place on the Chevrolet.

People who I have talked to indicate spare mounted mirrors are not much good, too far from the driver to give good image, vibrate too much, constantly need tweaking of adjustment etc. Also not sure they would look right on mid-late 30's cars, especially with spare covers. Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

Yes I have thought about those things you mention.

My problem really is that the fitted mirrors are quite useless, and I am looking for a viable alternative to give me good rear vision.

perhaps I should look at seeing if I can fit bigger mirrors to the door frames.

• Like 1

Your problem is not unique. I friend who has a '36 Packard rigged up one of those high quality suction cup thingies to a side mirror and puts it on his driver side window (or vent window) when he heads out for a drive. Works great, looks awful. I'm surprised the aftermarket industry hasn't come up with a good solution for these old cars, something that can be put on for driving and easily removed for showing.

Does your Chevrolet have little flaps hanging out over the vent windows? At a recent Pontiac meet I saw mirrors hung from those. They had "peep" style mounting arms. At least one guy had a real convex mirror on the passenger side, another had a convex "blind spot" mirror stuck to the glass on the passenger side.

Getting the mirrors back closer to you increases the field of vision, and solves the common problem of the driver not being able to see the passenger side mirror.

KQv9qjx.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have dual side mount mirrors on my '32 Chevy.

My side mounts have metal covers so I glued rubber strips to the metal bases on the mirror so they'd stay put.

These are the ones I got and I'm happy with them.

While you're at it buy a WIDE, clip on, rear view mirror to make life even easier.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spare-Tire-Mount-Mirror,3052.html?sku=91133001&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7rHyka3Q3QIVibXACh3CDwuEEAQYAiABEgKY-fD_BwE

To further answer your question, YES, they ship internationally.

Do you ship internationally?

Yes! If you have questions about International Orders please email us at foreignorders@speedwaymotors.com with your list of parts and we'll get you a shipping quote.

SidemountCrop.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

Does your Chevrolet have little flaps hanging out over the vent windows? At a recent Pontiac meet I saw mirrors hung from those. They had "peep" style mounting arms. At least one guy had a real convex mirror on the passenger side, another had a convex "blind spot" mirror stuck to the glass on the passenger side.

Getting the mirrors back closer to you increases the field of vision, and solves the common problem of the driver not being able to see the passenger side mirror.

KQv9qjx.jpg

Yes it does have the flaps, and that is a great idea.

thanks I will look into this as a solution.

Cheers