1942 Chrysler C34 Red Engine Paint

According to a well informed gentleman who was deeply involved at Chrysler in the engineering dept., Chrysler did not have an engineering code for any engine color. What was in the vat was painted on the engine. Basically if your engine was red, a good color would not be a Chevy red or orange but a nice rich red. If as Kaiser points out your engine is supposed to be black with a silver head than the Hirsch colors are fine.

SIR, I RESTORED 42 BUSINESS COUPE THAT HAD ORIGINAL PAINT ON THE WATER PUMP IT WAS RED CLOSEST I COULD FIND IS A RED THERE IS EVIDENCE THAT LATE 41AND 42 6CYL'S WERE RED NOT SILVER I DID A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THIS AND FOUND A LISTING WHERE SOME 41'S AND ALL 42 'S WERE RED THE COMPANY I GOT MY PAINT FROM WAS SOLD AND NO LONGER IN BUSINESS BUT THERE IS A RED ORANGE CHEVY V/8 COLOR SOLD AT LOCAL PARTS STORES SUCH AS ADVANCE OR AUTO ZONE IT IS A BIT TOO ORANGE BUT WILL WORK

I have an original unrestored '42 DeSoto.  The engine is silver with black accessories.  When I purchased the car an original high compression head was in the trunk.  it is natural aluminum with read lettering on the side of the head.  My research found that his head was last available in 1941.  From other posts of yours, you say that the head was off for a valve job.  If the car had enough miles to need a valve job, it could have easily have had a water pump replacement.  What color did you find on the block?  Can you show us your evidence that late 41 and all 42 6 cylinder engines were painted red.  I'm a Senior Master Judge in AACA and I'm asking for judging standards purposes not to get into an argument.  So what I'm asking for is the factory documentation you found that the blocks were painted red.  Sales material produced by the Art Department are usually not reliable documentation

• Like 1