Auburn Tie Rod Ends

Curti

From my 1940 McQuay Norris catalog 

1934-1935 (doesn't list 1936) but I imagine it's the same.

850x, 850Y, 851 uses ES-14 for Socket and Int. rod is ET-40. with an aesterix next to it saying tie rod and intermediate rod MUST BE INSTALLED TOGETHER.   That's the way they have it printed in big letters.  

ES 14 was also used on 31-32 Buick 850 and 3250 

as well as 1933 Buick 3350 to frame number 2673137

I can't find anything ET 40 Was used on besides this Auburn application. 

Hi Randy, thanks for the help !  The socket must be the body that screws on to the Tie-rod there is a LH & RH thread.  The tie rod connects directly to the idler arm on the right and the steering arm on the left.   

Intermediate arm.................???  The ET-40 must be the cone shaped piece that fits into the steering arms.  One would think these would be a part of the assembly.

Usually that ES number is the tie rod end like you would think of a tie rod end.  I Think 30's Mopar  took an ES 11 or something like that and it was the whole assembly.   You used to get alot of them in parts hauls as they fit alot of Mopar and other cars.  I don]t have much left.  I probably don't have any ES14 to check on them.  Many other cars listed an intermediate arm but not many said the must be  changed in pairs.  

I get what you mean,  not sure why they would list it as a "rebuildable unit" using a socket and an arm? 

Ironically an E14 tie rod end according to what I can find on line fits Studebaker trucks.  M series in the 40's.  I wonder if they are the same?   Maybe the ES was dropped for E later on.  It's a moog number from a much later source.   They may have also recycled the number at a later date since the newest thing that fit at the time was already 4 years old and an Orphan. 

57 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Interestingly, both of my interchange sources show lots of interchanges for the 6 cylinder Auburns of 1934-35 but none for the 8s.

Is it correct, then, that they have different, non-interchangeable steering systems?

The six cylinder is very different than the eight. Nothing interchanges.  I can buy six cylinder tie rod ends at NAPA , eights ,not so much.

There are some 50's trucks that have tie rod ends that 'look' this these. I see them on eBay.   

30's Hupp's are as rare as Auburns.

There is a company in California that makes them. A friend of mine bought a pair, but he was dissatisfied and sent them back.

Tierod end 8 cyl plus ball stud.JPG

I know you're a pretty particular fella but depending on whether you want to drive it or have it judged you could probably find something that would work in a tie rod end progressive listing.

I had a TRW catalog that never failed but, naturally, TRW was bought out by ZF in Germany but it seems the TRW line hasn't changed.

Anyway.......something to consider.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=6QN&ei=DSFtW6OxPOfPjwS-kZHoAQ&q=tie+rod+end+progressive+listing&oq=tie+rod+end+progressive+listing&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1.116120.131022.0.131500.38.33.1.4.4.0.135.2651.29j4.33.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.36.2544...0j0i10i67k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i67k1j0i131k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i10k1j33i21k1.0.tEd2ngNVb_E