Archival judged class

Buick Regal GS

There is a point deduction for refinishing the original parts.  But that does not mean you are disqualified from the archival class.  Archival class is about the car having it's original parts, in unrestored condition.  It does not have to be pristine condition.  Just original condition.  If everything else is truly original and unrestored you can still get an archival award.  But you probably can't get an archival elite award, as the deduction for the new paint job could be enough to knock the car out of that group.

The judging manual is on the BCA's web site.  In the manual there is a set of judging forms for the classes.  You can do a self assessment, just realize that  chances are  you will be harder on the car than the judges themselves.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Buick Regal GS said:

can  a new paint job on the car still be considered to be still unrestored  if thats all thats been done to car

I must correct my previous statement.   The judging manual on the BCA website is not up to date regarding Archival cars.  The forms on page 61 and 62 are outdated.  But here is information from a sheet used at Denver:

Exterior paint has no maximum deduction if less than 75% of the car has been painted.  If 75% or more has been painted then its a mandatory 40 point deduction.  In training class it is emphasized that it is either one deduction or the other, not both.  So in this case if 100% of your car has been painted it would be a mandatory deduction of 40 points.  I would guess that the max deduction for less than 75% paint job is a like wise 40 points, but I do not see that stated.

While that sounds bad, it does not prevent you from getting an archival award.  Archival cars must get 300 out of 400 points for that award.  It does, however, preclude you from an Archival Elite award,  which requires a point total of 385 out of 400 points.

I welcome corrections to the above.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Buick Regal GS said:

My 90 Regal GS i was thinking of driving it to Oak meet the paint job is about 10 yrs old not original thou so maybe put it in drivin class

100_2788.JPG

There is no driven class anymore.  Driven awards are a certification process, with the awards delivered upon registration at the Meet.  You can get a driven award if you are registered for the three remaining classes, 400 point, Archival, or Display.

• Like 1

With what John confirmed on the judging and deductions, depending on what else was done you probably could put it in Archive and see what happens.  I have never thought about putting my Electra in Archive as it's had a respray and I've restored the engine bay.  Even though it's dead stock, I know it would receive too many deductions as too many things have been "freshened up".   You might be pleasantly surprised with your results in Archive.  Nice car by the way, I don't see too many of those around any more!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The roof got cut off my car and the rear quarters were repainted even before the original owner leased it new. I would probably loose a couple of points because they put the Park Avenue emblems back in the wrong place.

Never took it to a Buick meet, but it gets attention at the couple Cadillac meets I showed up at. Maybe Oklahoma. Would be a nice ride. Minus 90 points at the gate.

013.thumb.jpg.b48c74f9f59838e6166086b026e05892.jpg

Bernie

On 8/1/2018 at 1:05 PM, JohnD1956 said:

The judging manual on the BCA website is not up to date regarding Archival cars.

What would it take to get the website judging manual updated. I'd be pretty upset if I were to prep a car based on the website text, take it to a 400 point judged event and it not be judged accordingly. I would suggest that outdated manual be removed until replaced with the current version.  As always thanks for your knowledgeable input on judging JD.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

What would it take to get the website judging manual updated. I'd be pretty upset if I were to prep a car based on the website text, take it to a 400 point judged event and it not be judged accordingly. I would suggest that outdated manual be removed until replaced with the current version.  As always thanks for your knowledgeable input on judging JD.

Thanks Mr. Earl.  I spoke with the National Chief Judge this morning and relayed this valid concern. 

• Thanks 1

Just to take this one step further, here is the Judging worksheet for the archival category, which consists of two pages.  The sheets were revised in 2014. Sorry for the poor picture quality ( I'm going to try and work on better quality photos but can't guarantee that).

For this class only, the owner self assesses what has been changed before the judges get to your car.  The owner would check the box on the far right of the column indicating if something to be judged is not original. I believe the owner could comment on why it was changed, such as due to accident, or original part was broken.  But the owner does not make a point deduction.  The judges would determine the point deduction when they go over your car.

1422762464_archivaljudgingsheetpage1since2014.thumb.jpg.b7acc636046394147fa20258d3ec3e30.jpg

1307980437_archivaljudgingsheetpage2since2014.thumb.jpg.9c2ec554bbd6531ffa7c4effebad9372.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, rivgs said:

Bernie,

You can be judged in the "S" class. Cars that look like Buick could have built them but didn't. I had my 96 Riviera convertible judged in that class in 2012.

Kevin, or anyone,

Perhaps you could elaborate.  I see no reference to an Class S in the 2017 Judging revisions or the 2005 Judging Manual.  Where have I been?

John

John,

I don't have all the details but it started the same time as the racing car  class "T". Class S was to address the various Ambulance and Hearse conversions that would show up to the Nationals as the Modified judging wasn't really fair to them. I am pretty sure Alan Oldfield was the person who got these classes started.