Failed Again! 1977 Seville

MarkV

56 minutes ago, padgett said:

Ok so find someone who repairs/tunes Volkswagen Squarebacks.

There is guy near you in Deltona

ps was commenting on A/F mixtures in GM P4 systems

But that is not what is in his car so why confuse anyone, with your vast knowledge of a different system? 

not Bendix/Bosch K-Jetroninc.

The system in his car is a Bendix system

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, padgett said:

The only thing worse than being misquoted is not to be quoted at all

I will have to remember that, so not to make you feel worse I will always make sure to quote you when I ever I can but no misquoting here, that was all you and your words, just like above. 

52 minutes ago, padgett said:

ps Deltona is a fur piece from California.

Might be, not really into furs, but Deltona is up the road a piece from Orlando

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, misterc9 said:

In New York we don't have the tailpipe sniffer. We do have to have the check engine light not on to pass inspection.  A vehicle with a check engine that won't stay off can get a waiver to get an inspection certificate. The vehicle owner after spending a certain amount of money on repairs can furnish receipts for emission/check engine light work to an inspection station. These receipts would need to be for work relevant to the problem and from a registered repair shop. The inspection station can then apply for and then get the waiver to issue an inspection certificate.  California must have something similar to this.

I don't know what gas is available in CA. I would think a non feedback car would run leaner on gasohol than no alcohol gasoline. I might even try adding a small amount of E85 to dilute the fuel. Nobody wants to put gasohol in their old car but. I don't know how far over the limit you are rich. Maybe the fuel difference wouldn't even help it.

ny only dos that on cars 1996 and newer

12 hours ago, ted sweet said:

ny only dos that on cars 1996 and newer

That would make things a lot easier if this car stored codes. I don't know now but there was a time where only the lower 8 counties had a much more rigorous emission test, and I still step over the rollers in my friends shop used for the dyno test years ago. California being California, should go the way of NYS and not have the emission test on vehicles older then 1996, but it is all about money..... 

How soon they forget. Before ODB there was ALDL (1981) and before that there was test equipment that could record much the same thing. Part of a dig here would turn up a Unisys, Distributer tester, exhaust gas sniffer, portable ignition scope, couple of break out boxes, fuel pressure testers (still use those), and a big Sun "do it all". Have never had a dyno though.

If needs must could open a shop for obsolete technology.

sunsleuth2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

How soon they forget. Before ODB there was ALDL (1981)

Well, ALDL is Assembly Line Diagnostic Link, and GM at least uses ALDL to refer to the under-dash connector on both OBD I and OBD II systems.

Well sorta. GM never called them OBD-I. The ALDL connecter was the access point to the early Computer Command Control (CCC) and later the faster P4 system.

Back in the bad old daze of early computer cars. there was little commonality. Every car/model/drivetrain had their own setting and had to use the right programming card (early) or the right cartridge with manual entry (I like the OTC 2000 with 93 Pathfinder cart).

Today I use a Moates adapter with C.A.T.S. and Tuner Pro RT software for GM ALDL and an Autel Diaglink for OBD-II & EOBD-II systems. Also have Torque Pro, Carly Pro for Mercedes, and Touchscan Pro Software & am working with an Arduino to scan data streams.

Instrumentation/reprogramming is another of my hobbies. Somewhere I have a NIB Prince Automotive Computer  circa 1978.

I'd like to play with the Seville system but is a bit too far away.

Well sorta. GM never called them OBD-I. The ALDL connecter was the access point to the early Computer Command Control (CCC) and later the faster P4 system.

Back in the bad old daze of early computer cars. there was little commonality. Every car/model/drivetrain had their own setting and had to use the right programming card (early) or the right cartridge with manual entry (I like the OTC 2000 with 93 Pathfinder cart).

Today I use a Moates adapter with C.A.T.S. and Tuner Pro RT software for GM ALDL and an Autel Diaglink for OBD-II & EOBD-II systems. Also have Torque Pro, Carly Pro for Mercedes, and Touchscan Pro Software & am working with an Arduino to scan data streams.

Instrumentation/reprogramming is another of my hobbies. Somewhere I have a NIB Prince Automotive Computer  circa 1978.

Mr P,  I do not want to be accused of misquoting you (again) but, please read what you posted and think about it and ask yourself what it has to do with the system in this car? and why do you insist on telling us how much you know about an unrelated system? The system in the Caddy is tested with a volt/ohm meter, if the Bendix test box is not available.

Maybe that is a good thing....  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1