1956 Chrysler axle type?

Can anyone tell me what type of axle I have under the 1956 Chrysler Town & Country wagon? I haven't been able to identify it. I'm looking for a left axle shaft and brake drum for the Town & Country (big bolt circle). Apparently in the past, someone replaced this axle and drum with a small series part, so obviously I'm having some problems fitting wheels to it.

I'm looking into several solutions: replace axle/drum with correct parts (axles are not readily available), buy a separate wheel with the small bolt circle, or install an entirely new axle. Not sure what I'm going to do to solve this problem, but if I could get an 8.75-inch rear end with a 3.23 gear inside, that might be a worthwhile change. Axle shafts are readily available and I could even have some made with the big bolt circle if such a thing isn't already available.

So does anyone know what's under the car now? Here's a crappy photo, but an expert should be able to identify it pretty easily. Thank you!

534286_6d9a245ef154_low_res.jpg

534282_0bd3203d6227_low_res.jpg

Hi Matt,

I have a 56 Imperial 4 door hardtop parts car with complete rearend, drum to drum. The brake drums on that car are one year only and command a premium. That's why it is most likely that what you have has been changed out with incorrect parts, they probably couldn't find the correct parts. Let me know if you're interested. Hate to pull the rearend as it's currently a roller, but I could probably make that happen if you can't find one.

Regards,

Gary

• Like 2

Is it worth establishing which rear end you have Matt? Turn the drive shaft one turn and note how far a wheel turns... Or take the cover of and count the crown wheel teeth, before changing the whole thing. Is it possible you have a good ratio with the "wrong" drums?

Thanks for the offer, Gary. I believe I've found the correct drum and hub from Big M out west. We'll see when it arrives--I still think there's a 50/50 chance I'll get parts for a smaller car, but maybe I'll get lucky. I wouldn't ask you to disassemble a complete car just for the parts I need, that's not right. I'm sure I can find something sooner or later.

But the good news is that we've got the wheels on the car and it drives beautifully. In my restoration thread, I mentioned that I was pursuing multiple solutions, including a new wheel with the small bolt circle. The wheel manufacturer instead suggested a billet aluminum adapter, which is exactly what I did. It's 1.25 inches thick and adapts the 4.50 bolt circle to a 5.50. We mounted tires today and the wheels and tires are on the car now. Nobody will notice that extra 1.25 inches, but I'm still going to try to find the right parts to put it back to stock. For now, the car is 100% ready to run.

RGG-1520104.jpg?rep=False

So at this point, I don't think I'll be pursuing a new rear end. The wagons have a 3.73 rear gear, but it seems pretty happy at 65 MPH, so I'm not going to worry too much about a lower gear. Someday we might put a 4-speed automatic with overdrive in it, but that day isn't soon. The car runs and drives quite well today. In fact, Melanie and I just drove it to vote. 

Here's the car as of today with the adapter in place on the left rear wheel and all four new wire wheels in place. It looks fantastic--as if it was unfinished with just the regular hubcaps.

Chrysler2.jpg.d31d736596280bc8964fefec18e9c4eb.jpg Chrysler3.jpg.d261e4f608ac4cc9cf7603eaf417fdea.jpg Wheel1.jpg.9330ce5b3def13264dd8b3f3e996fc2c.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Thanks for the offer, Gary. I believe I've found the correct drum and hub from Big M out west. We'll see when it arrives--I still think there's a 50/50 chance I'll get parts for a smaller car, but maybe I'll get lucky. I wouldn't ask you to disassemble a complete car just for the parts I need, that's not right. I'm sure I can find something sooner or later.

But the good news is that we've got the wheels on the car and it drives beautifully. In my restoration thread, I mentioned that I was pursuing multiple solutions, including a new wheel with the small bolt circle. The wheel manufacturer instead suggested a billet aluminum adapter, which is exactly what I did. It's 1.25 inches thick and adapts the 4.50 bolt circle to a 5.50. We mounted tires today and the wheels and tires are on the car now. Nobody will notice that extra 1.25 inches, but I'm still going to try to find the right parts to put it back to stock. For now, the car is 100% ready to run.

RGG-1520104.jpg?rep=False

So at this point, I don't think I'll be pursuing a new rear end. The wagons have a 3.73 rear gear, but it seems pretty happy at 65 MPH, so I'm not going to worry too much about a lower gear. Someday we might put a 4-speed automatic with overdrive in it, but that day isn't soon. The car runs and drives quite well today. In fact, Melanie and I just drove it to vote. 

Here's the car as of today with the adapter in place on the left rear wheel and all four new wire wheels in place. It looks fantastic--as if it was unfinished with just the regular hubcaps.

Chrysler2.jpg.d31d736596280bc8964fefec18e9c4eb.jpg Chrysler3.jpg.d261e4f608ac4cc9cf7603eaf417fdea.jpg Wheel1.jpg.9330ce5b3def13264dd8b3f3e996fc2c.jpg

WOW! Looks great Matt!! John Fowlie at Big M is a friend of mine. He should be able to hook you up with the correct parts.