Sad news- Hardy Rawls passing

kreed

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Hardy Rawls (1932-2018 ) on April 28,2018. Hardy was a great Riviera lover and friends with so many of us who love our cars . His beautiful black 65 GS won Best of Show at the ROA in 2014  He finished the car literally the day before the meeting and drove it all the way to Colorado Springs and didn't miss a beat . His generosity and willingness to help any car lover will be greatly missed . RIP my good friend .

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting Ken. I had the pleasure of meeting Hardy on occasion and always felt he was a man of great character. He will be missed but will live on through those who’s lives he touched. 

• Like 2

Hardy was a dedicated  Riviera man, who shared his love for collector cars with his many friends in his home state of Texas. Having the opportunity to meet him at two International ROA meets I also know why he has so many friends. Good Guy! He will be missed.

Ray Knott

ROA # 1

Edited by Ray_Knott (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had the opportunity to get to know Hardy 4-5 years ago, and we swapped stories on Rivieras. I was able to attend a couple of his barbecues -- huge gatherings with hundreds of people, cars and barbecue. And in return, I had a chance to give him a ride in my Duesenberg, and he was certainly an enthusiastic passenger. Getting to know fellow hobbyists like Hardy is truly one of the pleasures of antique car ownership. I'm going to miss him.

I meet Hardy for the first and only time a ROA Meet at St. Charles Illinois. I was looking at his beautiful 65GS when he comes up to me 

and introduces himself. He could see that I was in absolute wonder with his Riv.

After explaining to me all the work in his resto

he hands over the keys to me and invites me to "Take her for a Drive"

WOW, Here is a man I have known for 5 mins. and then he hands me the keys to his pride and joy.

I drove one of the nicest Rivs I have ever seen.

Man I was in Riviera heaven!

Then Hardy spent time with me about how he executed his resto.

Overwhelming Generosity that I will always remember.

Hardy Rawls, a true & delightful Gentleman.

Impossible to forget.

TomK

20150703_122507.jpg

Edited by TKRIV
Correct Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I met Hardy at the ROA meet in 14 and had the opportunity to drive the black 65 GS  in the first picture . Very nice car and a GREAT GUY ! I was lucky enough to visit Hardy and his family a few months back in Houston and had a wonderful time .  As we go thru life we meet a lot of people but remember few as years go by - I will NEVER forget Hardy Rawles  . RIP my friend - we will meet again !

15.jpg