UPDATED: Looking For Help Cheering Up Grandparents

kag324

UPDATE: First, thank you to everyone who has provided suggestions, advice, and who have helped narrow down the exact make and model of my grandfather's car - you've all been wonderful and I'm so thankful to all of you. Second, going on the suggestions of several members who have replied to this post, I am broadening my search: if anyone has a classic car of any make, model, and type from the 30's, 40's, or 50's who would like to help in this endeavor, my family and I would be very appreciative. 

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone who may own a black 1930's Buick 4-Door convertible (or a similar type of car [even if it's not a Buick] - if it's a 1930's or 1940's black convertible with easy entry in and out of the backseat, that would be fine too) who would be willing to donate their time to pick up a very elderly couple (one of which is a WWII U.S. Navy veteran) from their home in Overlea, MD on the morning of Tuesday, April 17th (before 10 am) and drive them 10 minutes down the road to their new home at the Oak Crest Retirement Community in Parkville, MD?

To explain: my grandparents , who are 97 and 94, are moving out of their home for the first time (they even grew up in the houses next door to where they live) and will be moving into an assisted living facility. Naturally, they’re very nervous and sad to be leaving their home behind, so I was trying to think of a way to help make their move more positive for them.

Back when my grandfather was a teenager, he owned a black 1938 Buick Century Convertible Coupe with a bright red interior, whitewall tires with red wheel felloes, and a tan top; that car was the reason my grandmother decided to start dating him (she said he had the “coolest car on the block”) and since then, they’ve been married for over 70 years. My grandfather had to sell the car decades ago, but he still loves it. I thought it might be neat if they could be driven to their new home in a car that looked similar to his but would easier for them to get in and out of (hence why I'm inquiring about the 4-door Buick Special Phaeton convertible).

My grandparents don’t move very well, rely on walkers, and need assistance getting in and out of the car, but members of my family would be there to assist them and we could drive directly behind in our own car(s) to transport their walkers and help them get out of the car when they arrive at Oak Crest. Please note, that we wouldn’t be able to pay for the driver's services and the Oak Crest Retirement Community would like my grandparents to arrive before 10 am, so we're looking to do this around 9 am. 

I know these type of cars are very rare and expensive, and this may not be possible to do. But any help, suggestions, or even spreading the word would be much appreciated. Below is a picture of a 1939 Buick Special 4-Door Phaeton Convertible that's similar to what I'm looking for (I found the picture here) and underneath that picture is a photo of my grandparents with my grandfather's car. Thank you!

1939 buick 4door phaeton.jpg

KG Granddads 1937 Buick Century Convertible Coupe.jpg

Edited by kag324
corrected the tire descriptions (see edit history)
  • Like 3

What a great idea, you might want to try contacting the chapters in MD and the Regional Director for Mid Atlantic as they don't frequent this forum, you can find their info here:

B.O.O.M.
Craig Bober
Owings Mills, MD 
443-904-4200

METRO (Virginia & Maryland)
Cory Correll
Germantown, MD 20876-5579
240-686-0229
corydraw@gmail.com

MID-ATLANTIC REGION (MA)
Bill Anderson
Gambrills, MD 21054
410-849-3376
rivsrgr8@aol.com

Good Luck, take some pictures to share with us!

• Like 2

Excellent suggestion Roberta.

If I had the right car and lived in area I would consider it a PRIVLEGE to transport these wonderful folks to their new home and would think many other Buick owners would too. I hope you are able to find someone to help accomplish your goal. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Excellent suggestion Roberta.

If I had the right car and lived in area I would consider it a PRIVLEGE to transport these wonderful folks to their new home and would think many other Buick owners would too. I hope you are able to find someone to help accomplish your goal. 

Ditto.  And to come by periodically for another ride.

• Like 1

One former member of the 36-38 Club that lives near that location that I emailed is not available on that date. I am still waiting on one other potential one near that area to get back in touch with me. 

• Like 4

Thank you again MCHinson, I really hope that works out! My dad went up to visit my grandparents today and said that my grandmother is getting really nervous about the move. In March of last year she had a stroke (we are NOT telling my grandfather about it or else he else he would have a holy cow!) and we suspect that she may have had a minor one this past January, so we're trying our best to keep her stress levels as low as possible.