Model year for this car? Can you help?

Simon1951

Hello, I'm a volunteer at a local museum and am trying to date a photograph in our archives. The car in the attached image appears in the background of the photo. Sorry the image is so small. Could anyone on this forum identify the car? I'm curious about the make and model, but the model year is what we need the most.

Much appreciation for any help you might provide. Thanks.

car.jpg

Here I am going contrarian again...

I'm not ruling out it being a '35 Ford,  with Lyon discs over the spokes. The concave backslope of the rear fender, the angle of the spare tire, the very horizontal tail light stands, and the lower height of the door handles don't quite look like Mopars. If I really strain, could it be that I see that Ford's four thin stainless strips are there on the hood side trim? 

MVC-011S.JPG

Here I am going contrarian again...  I'm not ruling out it being a '35 Ford, with Lyon discs over the spokes. The concave backslope of the rear fender, the angle of the spare tire, the very horizontal tail light stands, and the lower height of the door handles don't quite look like Mopar's. If I really strain, could it be that I see that Ford's four thin stainless strips are there on the hood side trim? 

Another clue is the height of the lower hinge on the rear door. The Ford's looks lower than the maroon Plymouth's.

Hi,

I'm the OP on this thread. I wanted to thank everybody who replied regarding the mystery car. Looks like the consensus is about 1935 for the year, the make yet to be confirmed due largely to the marginal quality of the image (sorry about that, but it's the best we could do). I hope everyone had fun with the mystery. I know I have.

Again, many thanks for your replies!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm so sorry, the original photo was taken sometime betewwn 1930 and 1940. Can't go back to look at another angle. Makes a completely accurate identification a tad more difficult, if not impossible.

But I appreciate everyone's efforts!

• Like 1

But wait, there's more,  (aren't you getting tired of hearing that in the tv ads?...) The bottom of front bumper of the Mopars is a bit above the bottom of the fender. The '35 Ford front bumper has about a half of its width below the fender's bottom. This is consistent in all of the pictures.

9 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

The blue '35 V8 posted by Keiser31 shows a short flashing on the side of the bonnet = hood and it is from a similar angle to the OP, which shows a longer flashing. I think it is more like the Chrysler Airstream.

Spinny, if by "flashing" you are referring to the hood's side ventilator, look at the picture of the coupe, it's not coming across as being as short in it.