1925 starter generator attachment to engine

Charlie G

Since my engine is being rebuilt by someone other than me,  I have been asked why the  3 attachment holes have different sizes.  The center opening is small and the other 2 are larger even though the holes in the block appear to be the same size.  What is the purpose of the larger openings?  Do these openings have some type of insulating or isolating rubber components or is there some other reason?  It was not on the engine when I got the engine so I never saw how it was mounted.

IMG_2301.JPG

Charlie:

There should be bushings to take up that space. These units need to be placed very precisely for all the starter pedal to gears to starter/generator and then finally to the flywheel to do their job. What is the unit off of?  A 1925 Buick?

You might be able to use a "drill bushing", McMaster-Carr has just about any size you can need. If it is indeed from a Buick perhaps someone from the Buick Club can answer your question.

There is a stamped number in the cast housing near the data plate

Should be something like D-268. Often stamped lightly and tough to see. 

But Delco changed the design and number almost every year and unfortunately their interchangeability too

We have all the Buick #s in a post over on the Buick Pre War Forum. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

Looks like Brian to your to your issue. That eliminates the drill bushings that I suggested. Any machine shop can fabricate the tapered bushings for you.

Thanks Larry and Brian for all your info.  I  was barely able to read the  stamped number by the data plate but could see 268, verifying the 25 master identity.  If there was a D preceding it I could not see it.  My engine rebuilder was  glad to hear the bushings were needed which confirmed his suspicion.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Charlie, 

You really should do your postings in the Buick Pre War section.   You probably already made the 2 bushings, but here are the actual dimensions.  I was missing a few parts, so I drew the dimensions as I knew others would be in the same boat.  

Hugh

1879248912_StarterGeneratorpartdimensions.thumb.JPG.48308cc6b8b0b44a15eccae3997f41ac.JPG

Just for a little tidbit of information (and by the way, I like Hugh's drawings - we'll make an engine ear out of him yet) the three screws on the front end of the S/G unit that hold the circular plate at the Oldham coupling are very special.  They are called Cheese Head screws.  The difference between a Fillister Head screw and a Cheese Head screw is that the Cheese Head screw is flat on the slotted side.  Both screws have straight sides.  See what a person can learn by playing with old Buicks.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

I am looking for those two "cheese head screws" now that Terry has enlightened me on the term.  They must come from Wisconsin or something.  The reason these are so odd is that they are #10-30 x 3/8".  #10-32 is the current standard.  There is nothing out there with this pitch and head design.  In fact, I have not seen these used anyplace other than on this starter generator front plate.  If you are digging, I am also looking for another oil filler for my spare Starter Generator as well.  I do have a drawing of the oil filler, and I can make one if necessary.    Hugh

IMG_6522.thumb.JPG.f1c29842e0bb4e84e03dc4d6fd8e978d.JPG

IMG_6511.thumb.JPG.4502f04d4ae4227c9fd7fbe1c5290756.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)