Door locks

Mars

Most cars of the late 20's and early 30's had only one keyed door handle lock, as you describe, and usually it was on the passenger front door. 

Any good locksmith should be able to make you a key from the existing lock, but as I found out on one handle I had, that doesn't mean the locking mechanism will work, just that the cylinder will turn!

Good luck with it....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Most cars of the late 20's and early 30's had only one keyed door handle lock, as you describe, and usually it was on the passenger front door. 

Any good locksmith should be able to make you a key from the existing lock, but as I found out on one handle I had, that doesn't mean the locking mechanism will work, just that the cylinder will turn!

Good luck with it....

When I was a kid (15) and got my first 1931 Dodge coupe from my Dad, I thought the keyed handle was on the wrong side. It was on the passenger side. I took it off and switched handles so the keyed handle was on the driver's side. I could not get it to work after I did that. I learned much later that the passenger side was the correct side to have the key cylinder. They were that way to urge folks to get out of the car on the passenger side or curb side so as to not get run over by a passing car.

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen, the lock was on the passenger door because a real gentleman would unlock and open the door for his lady, she would then reach across and unlock his door.

told to me by an old wise man who had all the answers. My dad.swapping mechanisms will NOT work.

have a nice day.

• Like 1

It might also be a hangover from the days when roads were not sealed. One got out on the kerb side so one's clothes (and the inside of the car) would not be messed up with dirt and horse manure as something went past.

Ref the door handle lock, I am having trouble with mine "seizing up". The die-cast metal is swelling with age and internal corrosion, nipping up on the lock. Hopefully the CF handle is less prone to this.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On 2/25/2018 at 2:45 PM, keiser31 said:

When I was a kid (15) and got my first 1931 Dodge coupe from my Dad, I thought the keyed handle was on the wrong side. It was on the passenger side. I took it off and switched handles so the keyed handle was on the driver's side. I could not get it to work after I did that. I learned much later that the passenger side was the correct side to have the key cylinder. They were that way to urge folks to get out of the car on the passenger side or curb side so as to not get run over by a passing car.

Also maker you unlock the passenger side first to let the little Mrs in teacher you good manners,,,,