65 clock

jframe

This is the disassembled clock from my 65. I am no electroics expert, but it sure looks to have been converted to quartz movement to me. Thing is, the second hand sweeps but the clock is dead. When I got it apart, I discovered the black ground strap was attached to some plastic that was broken. Anybody got a good 65 clock that they would part with? I understand that the original mechanisms would almost always function with a good cleaning, but I will take either quartz or original as long as it functions. I like the 65 style, so not really wanting a 63-64 unless nothing else is available.

20180127_142807.jpg

20180127_142815.jpg

I removed the clock from my '65 and stored it for posterity (the day I sell the car)probably never). I always switch off my battery disconnect when not driving, so it's never correct. I found the hole & location perfect for an oil pressure gauge. After a search of local parts stores & the net I was able to find a Sun gauge which fits the hole perfectly & nearly matches the appearance of the other instrumentation( very important). For me, knowing the current oil pressure is way more comforting than knowing the time, and the installation is easy (& easily reversed).    BTW, there is a proper working '65 clock for sale on Ebay.... a little rough but could be restored.              Drew

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 7:49 PM, KongaMan said:

A stopped clock is right twice a day. ;)

Mr KongaMan, to remove the clock in a 63 Riviera I believe it to be a slight, but hard turn counterclockwise? I want to get the turn direction right the first time. Thank you in advance for your help.

Red Riviera Bob

• Thanks 1

Bob, the only things that I've ever found that are left hand threads are usually things that rotate in a direction that would unscrew them.  Like the left pedal on a bicycle or the nut that holds the crank assembly into the bottom bracket on a bicycle.  A New Departure coaster brake uses left hand threads against right hand threads to create a locking device (takes two different sized threads on the same shaft.)  So, unless otherwise noted, assume right hand threads.  

Ed

PS - I once bought a home made utility trailer from a guy for peanuts.  He needed to put tires on it but couldn't get the wheels off.  I saw the old Plymouth hubcaps still on the wheels and knew they were left hand threads.  The next time I saw the guy, I had new wheels and tires on the trailer.  When I told him about the builder using old Plymouth parts, he about cried.  

???? 

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Bob, the only things that I've ever found that are left hand threads are usually things that rotate in a direction that would unscrew them.  Like the left pedal on a bicycle or the nut that holds the crank assembly into the bottom bracket on a bicycle.  A New Departure coaster brake uses left hand threads against right hand threads to create a locking device (takes two different sized threads on the same shaft.)  So, unless otherwise noted, assume right hand threads.  

Ed

PS - I once bought a home made utility trailer from a guy for peanuts.  He needed to put tires on it but couldn't get the wheels off.  I saw the old Plymouth hubcaps still on the wheels and knew they were left hand threads.  The next time I saw the guy, I had new wheels and tires on the trailer.  When I told him about the builder using old Plymouth parts, he about cried.  

Ed, I don’t want to bang my head up against a dead horse, but aren’t propane bottled gas left handed threads? Additionally, a Victor acetylene torch has left handed threads for either the oxygen or acetylene inlets. Probably, because Maryland is so far to the “left” we get a lot of left handed stuff.

16 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

???? 

Ed, I don’t want to bang my head up against a dead horse, but aren’t propane bottled gas left handed threads? Additionally, a Victor acetylene torch has left handed threads for either the oxygen or acetylene inlets. Probably, because Maryland is so far to the “left” we get a lot of left handed stuff.

I should have clarified my reply and stated "... in the automotive the world..."