Junior membership

playswithbrass

Dad bought me a Jr. Membership in our local Car Club when I was 12 years old and presented  it to me on my birthday.

He was motivated due having purchase a 1920 Willys Overland Touring the year before and we toured in that car for many years. At the time the Club would get together once a month and call it a Breakfast Run which might sometimes include heading off to a swap meet of some kind. It not only grew my interest in the Car Hobby but brought my relationship with Dad closer together. It also taught me (as a young teen) about the various dynamics off men and machines.

Sadly, I lost Dad last year in March (just short of 92) but his memories and spirits live on closely with me as I still have three of his cars today.

5a5753ad15cee_1920OverlandDad-WindsorAirportShowonparade.thumb.jpg.ecfb54ec187c3e50d7a4935b1e9dd9b0.jpg

5a57579e4ff00_Sept42011-pic5.thumb.JPG.d00040ac2c6c9af828c97629d6626222.JPG

5a57585cd44e6_1951Nash-HVSO40thAnniversaryTour-Copy.thumb.jpg.85c29f6c0156973b59cc5b918e4b4973.jpg

I've done my best to raise my boys with that same experience and appreciation and the youngest has his first car still but not sure how they will deal with the antiques when the time comes...

Maybe when I get grandchildren will the hobby be strengthened?

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Good!  Has he bought an antique car yet?

Not yet, he's has a lot of college debt to pay plus he lives where the cost of living is crazy.  He does collect antique automotive items and gets antique auto publications.  Some day I'm sure he will have a car too.

Terry

This just points out that each of us CAN make a difference to the future of the hobby.  One person at a time.  It has been my strong belief that all of us owe a debt to those that came before us and helped us along the path to love these old cars so much.  We need to ensure future generations have at least a chance to understand how great the cars and hobby can be.  All the doom and gloom guys may be thinking they are realistic but to me if you do nothing then eventually the results will speak for themselves.  We are the guardians of not only the cars but automotive history!  If we ALL try to get one new person into the hobby we will surely prosper.  Enough preaching, We hope your grandson enjoys Wheels and we welcome him enthusiastically to AACA!

• Like 1