28 studebaker dictator

its a four door, GE W 3,  I forget the bottom four numbers, ill post them tomorrow, my paperwork is at home.   the previous owner has used the body tag as the serial number on the ownership.  I don't suppose there is a way to determine serial number from the body tag,  I think I read that the museum only has records back to mid thirties(?).

thanks - terry

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, automaschinewerks said:

its a four door, GE W 3,  I forget the bottom four numbers, ill post them tomorrow, my paperwork is at home.   the previous owner has used the body tag as the serial number on the ownership.  I don't suppose there is a way to determine serial number from the body tag,  I think I read that the museum only has records back to mid thirties(?).

thanks - terry

21 minutes ago, automaschinewerks said:

thanks - terry

The numbers under the body  is an assembly line sequence number and are not important.  The serial number is stamped on a plate on the left frame rail behind the front wheel.

Terry ('nother one)?

• Thanks 1

yes thanks, about assembly line sequence. I didn't know that.  I know about the serial number location, the previous owner didn't believe me when I told him on the phone.  when I came to view the car with my box of manuals and owners manuals ive been collecting, I think he started to believe me that there should be a tag on the frame.

thanks - terry

3 hours ago, automaschinewerks said:

thanks - terry

My 29/30 GL Dictator is titled with the body number. The car had been titled with it in Illinois, Michigan accepted it and so has Indiana. If you have a good title using the body number I would go with it. What are the chances that you will find another car with this same exact number? This solution seemed much easier to me than convincing the Indiana DMV to change it to the serial. 

yes, I will be leaving the title as is with the body number, just like on my 29 Erskine has a made-up vin, I suppose when that previous owner licensed it in 1967,  he or they didn't know where to find the proper vin number.  I just would like to purchase a repop tag from white glove, but I'm not sure he has them anymore. I don't see them on his website or his ebay store.  I got one of his tags to replace the missing plate on the 26 standard six I bought in the spring.  between late last summer I traded labor for the Erskine and bought the 26 and 28 this year.  like the advertisement  says "this is a Studebaker year"  (I think my family is going to put me in an institution)

thanks rbk,  I knew and read about cord's passing on here, I bought a serial number plate from him earlier this year, and have seen his ebay parts store.  I see no serial plates for any cars at all on either white gloves website, or the ebay store, so I wondered if someone has taken over that part of the business?

about the versions of the dictators how do I find which I have?  the only clue I have is the body number plate is gew-3.  does that mean the third series? or does it not mean anything?

thanks - terry

30 minutes ago, automaschinewerks said:

thanks rbk,  I knew and read about cord's passing on here, I bought a serial number plate from him earlier this year, and have seen his ebay parts store.  I see no serial plates for any cars at all on either white gloves website, or the ebay store, so I wondered if someone has taken over that part of the business?

about the versions of the dictators how do I find which I have?  the only clue I have is the body number plate is gew-3.  does that mean the third series? or does it not mean anything?

thanks - terry

Mine begins GLW-3 with 4 more digits below it. I would be interested also if anything can be deciphered from this number.

There are so many running changes in the GE series that they can make your head spin. According to the parts book W3 designated a regular 4 door sedan. The W3 designation was used on all three types of GE's. An easy way to tell a type 3 is by the roof. On the first two types the roof extends over the front of the windshield for a sun visor. On type 3 the roof ends at the windshield and a separate metal sun visor attaches just below the roof line.

An easy way to tell the type 2 four door sedan from the type one and three is that all four of the doors windows have exactly the same size glass. 

Edited by studeboy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I do not remember all the differences but the first series had half crown fenders like the earlier cars and the later series had full crown fenders.

I believe that the rear fenders on all three series were different.

The third series sun visor was called a cadet visor.

All 1928 series used mechanical fuel pumps .

I believe that Bill Cannon had a detailed article about the running changes in the GE models in

the "It is a Studebaker year" series available on Amazon.

If you enter "Studebaker books" at Amazon you get a long list of Studebaker books that I never knew existed.

In order to  find which series your car is , you need to locate the serial number on the frame behind the left front wheel and the parts book will tell you when a change was made.

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

thanks rbk, I thought that short visor like on my Erskine was called a cadet visor.  I have the long visor on my 28.  I am going to have a look at amazon, I was curious and was going to post here what this is about the it is a Studebaker year book series.

terry

Edited by automaschinewerks (see edit history)

Bill Canon's work on the GE is not complete which is understandable given all the changes in these cars. He totally misses the changes in the type 2's that were first introduced in the Royal versions. Many of these he attributes to only the type 3's. His book is good but you should study the 2 different parts books as well. The GE addendum to the Standard six parts book has many early changes to the GE series that are left out of the later Studebaker sixes parts book.