Shay Model A Reproduction on tours?

42cady

My question is would a Shay Model A reproduction car be allowed on a National tour? These care were titled as 1980 cars and I know other 1980 model car are allowed on the age appropriate tours. I would not think they would be allowed on the older car tours but wanted to know if they would be allowed as any other 1980 model car.

Correct on the Shay.  If the tour includes any allowable model year it would be ok(e.g. a Founders Tour, or perhaps a Divisional Tour.   It would not be allowed to take part in a Vintage or Glidden since it's much newer than the cut-off dates. 

Terry

5 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

The Shays were not kit cars. They were sold as fully assembled, new cars

Thank you for the clarification, I would have thought that they were sold as kit cars to get around any motor vehicle safety laws which were in place at the time.

I think I've seen the word "REPLICA" used as an exclusionary term for some car events.  That would include the Shay, so a few years ago AACA included the Shay as a production car and eligible for all things other 1980 cars are eligible for.

They are cute, especially when re-fitted with real Model A headlights, taillights, taillights & cowl lights

I bought one once at a yard sale (See Picture) that needed lots of TLC and a $50.00 computer module.  When it was done, I thought it looked great but it rode like a truck and "Replica" was a term that would have embarrassed Henry Ford.  The fix up was fun but after a few test drives, it went home with somebody else.

I'll be glad to see them on the Founder's Tour, but that group is getting so modern it's hardly an antique car tour anymore, and the illusion of a Model A would be a welcome sight.59526c26e922e_ShayF.thumb.jpg.328c7935aa914a1f60deb0ecd31a0700.jpg