What car did a KJ 65 transmission come out of ?

kreed

Several months ago bought a 1966 Riviera parts car and just getting around to taking apart . The engine is a correct MW code but the transmission tag say " KJ  65 1952 " . I am sure this car was raced at some time but can't figure out what this tranny is - it is aluminum  and looks like a TH 400. The aqua color is long gone on the tag  but these numbers are punched at the bottom. The only thing I can find is from a jeep ?.... that has a KJ code . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

6 hours ago, kreed said:

Several months ago bought a 1966 Riviera parts car and just getting around to taking apart . The engine is a correct MW code but the transmission tag say " KJ  65 1952 " . I am sure this car was raced at some time but can't figure out what this tranny is - it is aluminum  and looks like a TH 400. The aqua color is long gone on the tag  but these numbers are punched at the bottom. The only thing I can find is from a jeep ?.... that has a KJ code . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

There is a historical connection between Jeep and Nailheads. Dont remember the exact details, I`m sure they are readily available via a Google search, but I`m quite sure there is some interchange between Jeep and Buick Nailhead at some point in time.

Tom

Yup - I have "read" 65-72 Jeep Wagoneers used the same nailhead trans case. the nailhead bell lived on after 1966 through Jeep.  Not sure about the KJ code specifically as that sounds like a much later code. The jeep trannies did not have variable pitch converters. I think Tom Telesco may have knowledge on this also.

Ken,

Unfortunately for the owner whoever replaced the transmission in the GS you bought did not replace with a switch pitch transmission unless.....the Buick guts were swapped to the Jeep coded case and I'd think that unlikely. Who knows. Does the trans have a single or dual electrical plug on it?

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

JZ - The plug is a single . Thanks for everyone's help. Will do a little more research and let you know . This particular  car was not a GS unlike the 66 GS parts car picked up in Missouri later in the year which had the correct BS transmission and MW 425 single quad. This non GS car had been raced hard I think  thus the incorrect transmission and MT engine  . If anyone needs this transmission, it's available for free local pickup. 

• Like 1

I tried researching TH400 code numbers and have come up with some clues but nothing with a K in it.  From what I can tell, All of the TH400 transmission references show that the first letter in the code stands for the car company.  B for Buick, Contact for Chevrolet,  Paul for Pontiac, etc.  R is for Rolls Royce, and I found an E for Volvo trucks. I did not find the codes for Jeep or Jaguar.  Im workin on that.  The second letter in the code refers to a combination of things. Combination of floor shift or column shift, rear axle ratio, and engine displacement.  No where did I find a K code. Are you sure it's not a B with the top and bottom scrubbed off? ?

4 hours ago, kreed said:

JZ - The plug is a single . Thanks for everyone's help. Will do a little more research and let you know . This particular  car was not a GS unlike the 66 GS parts car picked up in Missouri later in the year which had the correct BS transmission and MW 425 single quad. This non GS car had been raced hard I think  thus the incorrect transmission and MT engine  . If anyone needs this transmission, it's available for free local pickup. 

Very kind offer. Rare to see

Kudos

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ken,

KJ code in a Jeep is:

`65 230 L6 4WD

`66-`68 327 V8 4WD

`69-`71 350V8 4WD

Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom and everyone for the comments - making sense now . I am amazed this would hookup to a nailhead.  Always learn something on this forum ! 

KReed

The Jeep & Rolls Royce used an adapter between the engine & the bellhousing since the bellhousing was shorter for a
NailHead" because of the extension off the back of the block. So the strength of a TH400 that's adaptable to a wide range of apps.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:31 PM, kreed said:

Is there such a thing as "too many Riviera's " ? LOL:D

1 hour ago, telriv said:

NO!!!!

At nine there might be such a thing! Especially when you're poor like me!

I need to either get to work on them and/or get more space for them. Hopefully one of these days real soon.  

16 hours ago, Rivman said:

At nine there might be such a thing! Especially when you're poor like me!

I need to either get to work on them and/or get more space for them. Hopefully one of these days real soon.  

Or sell one! LOL...

Tom