Setting timing on 1930 Desoto CF8

Mars

Wow,you guys are rough!Yes,I am looking for instructions,thank you.From what I've read,there is no timing light involved,yes?By the way,I'm 65 and not an idiot.I will try to do better in the future.

Our bark is worse than our bite. We are really all fluffy and cuddly.

I am assuming the CF is basically the same as a Dodge DC - engine is the same except for stroke. In fact I have a spare engine with DC-CF cast into it.

Here are some notes on the points. I made up a divider (drawn on Word or Open Office Writer) and pasted it onto a bit of cardboard. It fits on the distributor. I use a bent nail taped to the rotor for the pointer.There are cutouts for moving the second set of points.

SynchronisingDualPoints.thumb.jpg.99d945a1d22828c315f96cf811cbfe68.jpg

There is a long paragraph in the Dodge Brothers Eight Instruction Book, "To Set Igniting Timing". It should be pretty much the same in the De Soto Eight book. Do you have a copy?

I have put marks on the vibration damper that I can use with a timing light. Early on, it showed the timing wandering around = worn distributor bushs and shaft.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

As a side note, there is an old salvage yard about an hour from my home. It has been in business FOREVER. I recall my dad and his friends discussing the place when I was a kid. One old guy who liked Chrysler products remarked that there was a very uncommon car in that yard...a 1930 DeSoto 8 cylinder. I started going there myself when I got old enough, and although the older generation of car collectors around me are gone, I THINK I have found that car...rusting into the earth. If I am not mistaken, it is still there today. 

I need to get over there to take some more photos, and pick up some sample parts for a client who reproduces muscle car body panels. If I do, I'll try to snap a photo or two of the old hulk. Then you can tell me if it really is a 1930 DeSoto 8 or not. 

• Like 1

Easiest way to find top dead center and accurate enough for an old car is to use a TDC Whistle. Turn evenly till whistle stops and your on TDC. You can rig a pointer and make a mark on the crank pulley for future use. To know what advance/retard you have measure you crank pulley/dampener diameter, multiply by 3.14 and divide this into 360. Six inch pulley is 18.84 inches in diameter and 360 divided by 18.84 comes to 19 degrees per inch so 6 degrees would be 5/16 of an inch from TDC. You said a timing light wasn't required and on old low compression engines I agree. Get running with rotor pointing to #1 at TDC, hook up vacuum gauge and advance to max vacuum and then back off just a tad. For fine tuning get engine up to operating temperature and then accelerate in high gear. If no pinging advance a bit more, if pinging present then retard a bit. Dial in till just right and drive the snot out of it.

• Like 1