how much overspray underneath a 65 Riviera hood

Seafoam65

At some point somebody repainted the underside of the hood on my 65 Riviera satin black

before I bought it. It looks very nice, but if 65 Rivieras are like other GM cars I have owned, there is probably

supposed to be body colored overspray around the outer edges of the underside of the hood. Does anybody

have a 65 Riviera with original paint under the hood so I can see what it is supposed to look like?

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

At some point somebody repainted the underside of the hood on my 65 Riviera satin black

before I bought it. It looks very nice, but if 65 Rivieras are like other GM cars I have owned, there is probably

supposed to be body colored overspray around the outer edges of the underside of the hood. Does anybody

have a 65 Riviera with original paint under the hood so I can see what it is supposed to look like?

Winston,

Good question...off the top of my head I dont remember any overspray but I can inspect a car tomorrow if it helps,

Tom Mooney

This is an interesting question that I don't recall ever being asked here or in the Riview Q&A. Never seen overspray on a 66-67 and can't say I ever noticed any on 1st gens. It'd be great to see how the hood was fixtured when it was painted.

Winston,

you need to wonder how show judges and others would react when seeing the overspray.

Many would deduct points for "poor paint finish, overspray under hood".

If there was "factory overspray" you may need to put a sign there saying it is "all original!? Including ....

Jmtbw from down under,

Rodney

I have the factory overspray on my Chevelle, Trans Am and GTO and car show judges make nice

comments about the correctness of the cars.  On the Trans Am, the exterior color is oversprayed

onto the top of the cowl below the windshield about 4 inches beyond the fenders, with the middle section of the cowl top painted black. This is the way they came from the factory so that's how I did it 

when I restored the car. In POCI point judging they ate this up and I got 400/400 points and the

Concours D'elegance award for the whole convention.

IMG_1574.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 10:02 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Tom, did you inspect the original car yet for overspray?

Winston,

I managed to inspect a couple of cars today. Much to my surprise there is a consistent overspray pattern. There is no overspray along the sides of the hood but there is a pattern at the front of the hood. The pattern appears that is was created by the painter spraying the front hood edge molding which is body color on the `65 models. Obviously, the amount of overspray was dependent on the painter but generally it extends back to the 4th stud from the front of the hood top molding. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

8 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

OK Tom, would you say that at the very front of the hood that it is solid body color or can you see the black

through  the paint all the way to the front? 

If you deliberately aim the spray gun at the underside of the hood that would apply too much color. It looks like overspray from a painter aiming the gun at the front hood edge molding from a 45 degree upward angle...so the color coat is thin, like overspray.

Tom