WTB - Crank Pulley Spacer - 1955 Buick

Kosage Chavis

OK, on my '54 322s, I have one engine with a solid two-grove pulley and no spacer that sits directly on the balancer.  On two other engines I have two identical single-grove pulleys with a pot-metal spacer between them.  The spacer is a hair shorter than 3/4 inch thick.

What I did on my AC car was to stack three of these single pulleys with two spacers sandwiched in between - like a Big Mac!

Kosage, I will be sending you a spacer and a pulley.

Could it be reproduced?  I suppose, but the tolerances would need to be precise, because it is a snug fit onto the balancer to keep it centered, and any out-of-round or looseness would be problematic for vibration.

The pics you have of your tear-down on a previous post, #95 shows the front of the engine with three water pump pulleys just like I have, and this will bolt to your crank pulleys, just like mine.

Sorry, no pictures, buys, I just never got used to doing that here...

You may know better, but this is the first I've noticed that pulley stuff is all that rare.

Stacking washers would not do, I think.  The trick will be to have it perfectly centered on the hub to withstand the pull of the accessories and the belt tension, plus keeping things balanced while spinning. 

Well, I have one spacer left, and I'm hoarding it until there is a clamber for a repo.

• 7 months later...
Guest Sabol1956BuickSpecial

I have a 1956 Buick Special with a 322 cu. inch nailhead. It has a single belt pulley on the front of the water pump that runs the generator. The pulley sheared itself into two pieces. I need to find a new or used one and I will also try to get the old one welded and sanded together (is it possible to do this and ever get it in balance?). Does anyone know where I can find one? Is there anyone out there 3D printing new antique car parts yet?

Guest Sabol1956BuickSpecial

I was just going to fix up the old one since I have searched all over the place and not found a new or used one. I uploaded a picture of my broken pulley. My 1956 parts/shop manual doesn't have a figure or number for the pulley, but the 1955 manual has the attached figure showing it as part number 1343188...As I was googling the parts manual picture I uploaded below I found an ebay post for a new one. Thanks for your help though!

1956 Buick Special single fan pulley.jpg

1955-buick-fan-driven-engine-pulley.jpg