Not quite a restoration project....a Tommy Gun

My daughter turns 21 this year and is going to have a 1920's themed party.

Not to be out done I'm going as a Gangster ( a true Dodge owner !!! ).

I can get the costume but I really want a Tommy Gun to go with it ( as a prop ).

I've googled a lot of pictures and this thread will be my attempt to make a replica gun from scraps.

First step was to find a picture of one and based on the actual size I came up with the approx. measurements.

I have an old spear gun I use to use as a kid when I went spearfishing so I'm going to use that as my base.( its 40 years old and doesn't work anymore )

Pulled the spear gun apart and away I go !!!

My wife reckons I wont make it to the party as I'll get arrested.....hmmmm she could be right !

CIMG1053.JPG

CIMG1045.JPG

CIMG1046.JPG

• Like 1

Ok, so next step is to make the frame of the gun.

I have some leftover aluminium "C" channel so I measured these up and cut two equal lengths.

I also cut four pieces of metal strip that would sit inside the channel which I would use as a brace to pop rivet to.

Drilled the holes and pop riveted at each end top and bottom so basically I have a square long tube. A bit uneven at the ends but I can file this down later.

This is kind of fun doing this. Never done anything like this before so should be interesting !!!

CIMG1048.JPG

CIMG1047.JPG

I have an Air Soft BB gun version of the 1928 Thompson with the drum.

It looks very real except the orange end and I will not carry it in the back of my  28 Chrysler Touring car.

To get it in my violin case the drum has to be taken off.

006.JPG

Let Ian have some fun!  It's not always about perfection or the ability to buy something.  Sometimes it's gratifying just to make something and enjoy the process of figuring out how to do it.

6 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Let Ian have some fun!  It's not always about perfection or the ability to buy something.  Sometimes it's gratifying just to make something and enjoy the process of figuring out how to do it.

Yep, I agree.........for a one time use, and the satisfaction to say "I made it"..........plus having that $200 still in your pocket :).

Edited by r1lark (see edit history)

Trust me, I did look at buying a replica but Australia has extremely strict importation rules of guns of any description. You even have to have a shooters licence and lockable storage for an air rifle. When this thing is finished there is a good chance I'll need a permit to have it as it will look like a real gun. The way they look at things here is if it can be mistaken as a real gun then you need a permit. A broad description I know but I didn't make the rules. If you ignore it then you run the very real risk of being arrested.

That being said it is only a prop and will probably sit in the back of my 34 when completed as a prop but it only takes one eager law enforcement officer and both myself and the club could be in trouble.

Just thought I'd let you know why I couldn't get one and save myself the trouble. But as Richard said, it's kinda fun making something out of scraps that I've never done before. Enjoy as my brain is already ten steps ahead of  when I am with it in the design and making of it.

Cheers

Ian

Using the existing aluminium tube from the speargun I inserted that into the end of the aluminium box section through to the speargun end and used two pieces of left over red gum which I hammered in place to hold the tubing in place. I poured aquadhere glue ( woodworking glue ) all over the place and I'll let this dry for a few days to achieve maximum strength.

CIMG1058.JPG

On 7/5/2016 at 6:28 PM, 28 Chrysler said:

I have an Air Soft BB gun version of the 1928 Thompson with the drum.

It looks very real except the orange end and I will not carry it in the back of my  28 Chrysler Touring car.

To get it in my violin case the drum has to be taken off.

006.JPG

Ian,

Thinking about the problem you may run into with local law enforcement having a real looking weapon. Would you be able to make an orange cap like the one pictured  for the end, or would that not make a difference? Even if the orange cap was removable so you didn't have it on during shows.  I imagine this would help anyway. 

I could run it past them but I think I'd know what they'll say.........If you were driving down the road and someone pointed this thing at you....I bet you wouldn't be looking at the orange tip !

I agree with you that this should signify that it is a toy / prop gun but who knows what they are thinking.

Okay, so the next step is to provide some sort of support for the aluminium tube sticking out the end of the gun. I used a small piece of wood which I cut the width of the inside of the housing and used a file to make a concave groove. Tapped this in place and again used wood glue to hold. Had my first attempt of making the wooden stock and handle from some framing scraps from a job they are doing next door. Not happy ( especially the handle ) but I may have access to some nice wood offcuts a friend may have. Found the blade in the jigsaw I'm using bends due to thickness of the timber so I'll have to use another friends bandsaw to get a better result. Its coming along !!!

CIMG1061.JPG

CIMG1062.JPG

CIMG1050.JPG

CIMG1052.JPG

I sanded back my wooden stock and sat it next to aluminium boxed piece with the tubing sitting out the front. Starting to take shape !!

For the sight at the back of the gun I used another bit of aluminium channel and angled each end. I then pop riveted it to the top of the gun

CIMG1055.JPG

CIMG1056.JPG

CIMG1057.JPG

CIMG1063.JPG

I'm with you.....the vertical grip does look a lot nicer overall.....sort of gives character to it.

Went shopping with my wife to a store we have here called Savers. This is run by a charity group and if you have unwanted clothes you can drop them off.

They check them and put them in the store for you to buy.

Found a pin strip suit ideal for what I'm after which cost be $25.......but they had a 50% off day so I got my suit for $12.50 !!!!

All I need now is a hat, spats, braces, tie and a cigar !

Moving on......

I found an offcut of conduit at work which fitted perfectly inside the aluminium tubing so I'll use this for the barrel end. I cut the aluminium tube to the correct length and inserted the conduit for a trial fit.

Tricky bit is the ammunition cartridge. Thought about it a bit and then raided my mum's place and "borrowed" a biscuit tin. Perfect fit !

Next I'll mount the biscuit tin when I get a minute.

CIMG1064.JPG

CIMG1065.JPG

CIMG1066.JPG

IMAG2552.jpg

CIMG1059.JPG

CIMG1060.JPG

Thanks for that, looks great on the back seat !

Did some more work on the gun........thinking about the biscuit tin, its a little flimsy so when I mount it to the gun I'll need to reinforce it. Found some old pieces of polystyrene from a packing item and I cut these out to fit inside the tin. Again did a test run and they give it some bulk and make it feel a bit firmer. First step in fitting the tin was to put in one rivet at the base of the tin to hold it together. This will enable it to stay together while I can still open it and fix it to the base. It will also leave enough room so I can put the polystyrene inside before closing it up. Used two screws and fitted the tin to the wood inside the gun.

IMAG2553.jpg

IMAG2554.jpg

IMAG2556.jpg

IMAG2555.jpg

Next step is to glue the foam using PVC glue and slide each layer into the biscuit tin while pulled apart.

While holding the lid closed I rivited every 3" or so to hold the lid down.

While this is drying a neighbour just finished making some shelves and had a few offcuts of Australian Hardwood. Excellent !!!!

I cut out the stock just to see how it would look and this a lot heavier and hardier timber to work with. Happy with the rough cut out so I'll sand down a bit later. 

Tricky bit is the front wooden grip but I have some ideas already.

IMAG2557.jpg

IMAG2558.jpg

IMAG2560.jpg

IMAG2559.jpg

IMAG2531.jpg

No wonder there is little progress on the Dodge ..... I must dig out the parts I have for the gun I started years back... I looked up the regulations  RE: Imitation Firearms here in Victoria ... What a can of worms you have opened young Ian  ...  I  tried to attach the Firearms registry link, but it wont open here ... I have emailed it to you     

The permit { If you can justify it } costs $ 188:20   not sure how long it is valid for.

Edited by Ken_Lincoln (see edit history)

Ken your a worry........never thought of putting a Whisky bottle in a violin case.

Unfortunately our regulations here are insanely strict.....then again it probably stops idiots like me pointing at someone !

Ill be back on the Dodge as soon as I've finished this.....won't be long.

Again using my scrap timber I cut out a front grip. I used a drill to first show where the finger indentations went and then a band saw to shape the rest of the grip. After that a round file and shaping files to get the approximate shape I need. Then a orbital sander to smooth it over. Still a way to go but the idea is coming together. Also started working on the end of the barrel. With the flared and of the conduit I cut a small piece of conduit and glued that in the front and then I used a spacer ( the black bit ) and glued that in also. This will close the end in enough to form a reasonable looking barrel end. I still need to round it over but I have to let the plumbers glue dry for a few days.

IMAG2602.jpg

IMAG2601.jpg

IMAG2594.jpg

The device on the end of the barrel is a Cutts Compensator, designed to make the gun more manageable.  Early Thompsons without the Cutts on the end of the barrel tended to ride up when fired at full auto.  The Cutts actually tended to force the barrel down during full auto and made the gun easier to handle.

Cutts 1.jpg

Here's a Thompson with no Cutts and the large hundred round magazine.

Campbell_Thompson.jpg

Ron, are you going to try and do the cooling fins on the barrel?

In case you wondered just how powerful these things can be, here's a video that should amuse about half of all Americans and probably horrify the other half and the rest of the world.  It's all legal, by the way and those are fifty gallon drums full of gasoline they are shooting at.  Just a relaxing summer night.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the video......they certainly had some grunt.

Interesting about the compensator too....I always wondered why some had vents on the front of the barrel.

I'm going to try and replicate the cooling fins of some description. My first option was to use "O" Rings but a friend of mine suggested another way which I'll work out and post when I get up to that stage.

This has certainly sparked a bit of interest !

Cheers

Ian

Using a spade bit I drilled 2 holes about 1/2" deep which will countersink the head of the bolt when I attach the handle to the gun barrel. I couldn't use a normal drill bit to drill the rest of the hole as the drill hit the wooden handle. This is a bit gross, so I used a bone drill. The ones surgeons use ( my wife had one as she use to work in operating theatres ) when you are asleep. This was long enough to go through and came out the other side so I knew where to drill the underside.

IMAG2593.jpg

IMAG2597.jpg

IMAG2598.jpg

IMAG2599.jpg