Brass Lamp Restorer Sought

hddennis

Try Chidgey & Son in California. They are friends of mine and work on old car lamps. Tell them John Keiser referred you to them. We were in the Horseless Carriage Club together.

http://www.whitepages.com/business/chidgey-son-el-cajon-ca

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

If you want jewelry like quality, and don't mind paying the price, the work of Rick Britten is beautiful.  Just google Britten Brass Works.  There are others who do a nice job with brass lights, but his work is incredible.

For brass horns, one can usually find a local music shop, they almost always have someone who restores instruments, and can restore an early brass horn.  That's an interesting business, using steel balls and magnets and all sorts of tricks to fix!

Took this photo of a 1911 Kissel at the Gilmore Car Museum Pre-War Show a couple of weeks ago.  Was told the brass work was done by Britten.  It was like jewelery.

Scott

Scott20160521_131318.jpg

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your help on this. Received light in this morning's mail and found out it is the smaller 4 inch version and love it even more. Unfortunately it will require expensive restoration and not just polishing like I first thought. Has anyone ever had a brass headlight door spun? Is it outrageously expensive?  Could a cracked door be soldered after straightening if the lamp was only for display?  I really hate to let this little jewel go but am afraid it's restoration would far exceed it's worth, thoughts anyone?

lamp 1.jpg

lamp 2.jpg

lamp 3.jpg

lamp 4.jpg

lamp 5.jpg

lamp 14.JPG

I posted a response to your original - yes, you could have  a door respun but it's going to be very costly.  First, a form needs to be made - perhaps even multiple forms depending on how complex it is.  There will be a lot of hand work involved and you'll be paying a hefy labor charge.  You'd need to send the entire lamp as the door would need to be fitted.  You might get away with just sending the door to use as a pattern but if I were restoring it, I'd want the entire lamp to ensure everything fit.  No, I don't restore them for others, have just done a few for my own collection but have never resorted to spinning parts.   If it's just a book-self decoration I'd say just polish it nicely, silver-solder the crack after you straighten everything and when you buff it, the crack will be less noticable. 

Terry