63 Hood Emblem

63 Red Riv

Something some previous owner came up with to fill an empty hole.  A red/white/blue Buick trishield is correct for '63.  Jeff at CARS has the correct one in reproduction; I've posted a catalog link below.   You might also check with Gene Guarnere to see if he has something NOS in his vast assortment of parts.  He advertises in the Riview under the name of A B & G.

Ed

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/hood-emblem-1963-buick-riviera-p-1448.html

That is obviously a factory emblem.....I'm wondering where it came from as it is awfully small in diameter

to be used anywhere else. I'm wondering if it could have been there from the factory perhaps late in the model year?

I'll "horseback" on this post:

I need to remove my old (current) emblem from the original spear (original spear has been modified not to my liking) and put in in a NOS spear I have.

I really want to keep the original emblem. Can anyone tell me how to remove the old, original emblem from the spear without destroying it?

Could very well be the speaker grill as you suggested Pat. Though, if anyone has a second gen they could measure the center cap on the speaker grill. The hood emblem for first gen riv is around an inch in diameter. 

67 speaker grill.jpg

Also as for removing the emblem, it has been a very long time but if I recall correctly there is a little hole beneath the emblem, so if you were to take off the spear you should be able to get some de-adhesive or something behind it, though don't quote me on that as I've never had the need to take off a hood emblem before. 

This listing shows the hole, I believe its the last picture. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Buick-Riviera-Hood-Spear-Trim-w-Tri-Shield-Hood-Ornament-Center-Bonnet-/231921858230?fits=Year%3A1963%7CModel%3ARiviera&hash=item35ff9eb6b6:g:racAAOSwQjNW8ly~&vxp=mtr

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)