Door Glass Keeps Breaking (1952 Ford Customline)

Guest 52Customline

Guest 52Customline

Hey All,

This is my first post! It's also about my first classic  :D .

My fiancee and I have wanted an early 50's Ford sedan for a while and we finally found what we were looking for: a 1952 Ford Customline. We love her! Of course, there's some work to be done. Luckily, the previous owner had already rebuilt our straight 6, replaced the clutch, and purchased new Coker tires and wheels. However, they have and we have been plagued by the front passenger-side window constantly cracking. I removed the previous window, but per the original Ford shop manual there should not be a foam or adhesive glue application into the window retention channel. When I removed the current window there was an adhesive gasket that was hard-pressed into the current sheet metal U-channel at the bottom of the rocker assembly. I was able to remove the window and the gasket, but my question is...

What should I replace this gasket with? What could be causing this constant cracking of the window (it has been replaced 4 times by the previous owner)?

It appears that the guide channels are in alignment and the felt lining is in good condition. Do I need to put more damping into these channels? It appears that it is cracking consistently at the bottom corners of the window--so could I provide some sort of damping locally at these areas? I've considered 3M VHB tape, or maybe general weather stripping. I'd really appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks so much in advance!  :)

Tanner

post-154619-0-80169600-1441133585_thumb.

post-154619-0-32581600-1441133663_thumb.

post-154619-0-71120900-1441133666_thumb.

post-154619-0-82029200-1441133668_thumb.

Sometimes slamming the door too hard will cause the glass to crack. If I recall correctly, it usually happens when the window is rolled all the way down. By the way, it's refreshing to know of someone enjoying the merits of an inline six cylinder automobile. I have six cylinders in my '55 Ford. Six cylinder engines are rarely seen amongst all the V8's at car shows.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 52Customline

Thanks for the advice! 

We think it's a combination of two things: (1) shutting the door too hard when the window is rolled down into the door and (2) misalignment in the channel and pushing too hard to roll the window up--creating a moment at the bottom of the glass. We're going to try a new installation and see how it goes!

The gasket between the channel and the bottom of the glass is called glass setting tape and is avalible in various thicknesses.

It is a type of rubber strip and when you dip it in Kerosene it becomes very soft and pliable so you can wrap it along the bottom of the window and then jam it into the channel.      When it dries (which it will do quickly) it will set and hold the glass in place.  You can paint more Kerosene on it as you go to keep it moist if you have to.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/glass-setting-tape

• 1 month later...
Guest 52Customline

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Thank you for the correct name: glass setting tape! Sometimes finding the right term is the hardest part. I was able to find the glass setting tape online, so I'll be installing the glass in a couple days--fingers crossed! I'll also double check alignment once the assembly is back in place. I'll report back hopefully with a final verdict.