1949 Buick Super 4dr restoration project

49_buick_super

Hey Dan,

Been following your thread with much interest; kudos!

Can you tell more about that dual master cyl? Looked all over for one when I did my '49 Roadmaster brakes, couldn't find one. Did this piece come from Wilwood? and what exactly had to be fabricated?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Hey Dan, ... Can you tell more about that dual master cyl? Looked all over for one when I did my '49 Roadmaster brakes, couldn't find one. Did this piece come from Wilwood? and what exactly had to be fabricated?

Steve,

He told me the brake master cylinder was Ford, like this: Master Cylinder

Next time I get to the shop I'll get more details on the fabrication. I'm fairly certain the push rod was a fabrication but can't say at the moment about the brake pedal pivot.

I will gather up more information for a more detailed post a bit later.

Thanks for your comments, Steve and Mike.

Dan

RADIO RESTORATION

I want to put in a good word for ALAN KRISS (BCA #5609) regarding the restoration of the old radios in our Buicks. I made an effort to do this restoration on my own but ran into some things that were beyond my skill set. I sent my radio to Alan. Last night, I spent over an hour having a wonderful conversation with Alan. He is so very knowledgeable about these radios. He will take the time to talk to you about your radio and give you some good basic information about its operation and the history of its manufacture. All good information to know. I have no doubt that the radio in my '49 is going to be playing better than factory new because of the modern day components that go into a restoration. Better manufacturing techniques for the capacitors, resistors and tubes all work together to give a superior result. Alan advertises in The Buick Bugle. The price is very reasonable. If you have a radio that isn't working, I would encourage you to give Alan a call and talk to him about restoring it. To be fair, there are others that offer this service in The Bugle so there are choices. But for the restoration you are reading about in this topic, Alan is the radio man. :)

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Another fun part of the project has been "disassembly archaeology." You find some interesting things when you take your car apart...:)

Not sure if these are inventory control slips or what, but the date is July 13, 1949.

post-61965-143142136565_thumb.jpg

And a tag from inside the old seat covers - 1954...

post-61965-1431421366_thumb.jpg

Another slip tucked inside the upholstery of the rear seat arm rest...

post-61965-143142136613_thumb.jpg

And a door handle - never used - left by a factory installer on the floor and covered by the carpet. I shed the first light of day on it since 1949 when I took up the carpeting in the back seat area. This is just where I found it.

post-61965-143142136695_thumb.jpg

And another slip left inside a rear seat arm rest, placed by the factory installer in the still tacky glue used to attach padding...

post-61965-143142136722_thumb.jpg

Dan

post-61965-14314213655_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142136708_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77
And a door handle - never used - left by a factory installer on the floor and covered by the carpet. I shed the first light of day on it since 1949 when I took up the carpeting in the back seat area. This is just where I found it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]208112[/ATTACH]

Cool! I love the "archaeology" aspect of car restoration. That's one of my favorite parts. You can't get much more "factory original" than that door handle! I bet the original owner never could figure out where that darn rattling sound came from.:)

And the shop has lost the first part out of many hundreds I've given them. It happens...

I'm looking for this part. If any of you guys can help me out, it would be much appreciated. I've also posted in the Wanted to Buy area.

EDIT: CANCEL. Shop has found the part. :)

post-61965-143142143293_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

More progress. The wiring harness installation has commenced. The main harness has been installed through the body into the trunk and out to where it will feed the tail lights and backup lights. The full air cleaner is on. The windshield wiper motor is on and the wiper transmission is reinstalled on the firewall. The voltage regulator is mounted and the horns are also installed.

post-61965-143142166398_thumb.jpg

Dan

post-61965-143142166274_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166296_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166316_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166336_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166357_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166378_thumb.jpg

The doors are now complete with glass and channels. I am very happy with the quality of this work. The glass fits perfectly as do all the vent window seals. (Steele Rubber and Sanderson Reproduction Glass). I delivered the door panels today and they should be installed soon. I am very pleased with the outside stainless trim. The doors have not yet received their final alignment adjustments.

post-61965-143142166535_thumb.jpg

Here is a view of a completed wheel. (The correct valve stem covers have not yet been installed.)

post-61965-143142166555_thumb.jpg

Looking at getting the car back by the end of September. Keeping my fingers crossed. The shop wants to display this car at the Goodguys Southwest Nationals in November. Never had that in mind when this started but I've warmed up to it now.

Dan

post-61965-143142166434_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166454_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166474_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166495_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142166515_thumb.jpg

Edited by 49_buick_super
spelling (see edit history)

DISASTER AVERTED!!

Whoa! Looking at/drooling over pictures of the work completed and all the sudden it jumped out at me. The wiring harness has been mis-routed. The wiring harness needs to be run behind the roof bows rather than along the roof margins above the doors. The location where the harness is now installed would conflict with the installation of the headliner and door windlace retaining plates. I just cannot fathom the depth of my despair if I had discovered this after the wiring was complete and all dressed in to instruments behind an installed dashboard.

Look at these pictures:

post-61965-143142169676_thumb.jpg

Whew!

Dan

post-61965-143142169606_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142169631_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142169654_thumb.jpg

Edited by 49_buick_super

Dan, thanks for posting this catch. This is a major help for me since I have to redo my harnesses.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff.

When last we communicated you mentioned your wiring harness. I think you said you were working to preserve a previous restoration on that beauty. My experience with this car was that the wiring harness was probably not bad enough to worry about from the dash panel aft because this wiring is so protected from real environmental extremes. The worst decay in my wiring was everything forward of the firewall - for obvious reasons. I just decided to do this as an option because I have the car so completely opened up. If you have a good headliner in place, you might want to give serious thought to replacing the main harness through the body. It would be a shame to disturb an original headliner that was in good shape or a headliner that had been replaced in a previous restoration. I can't see any way to run the wiring through the body without disturbing the headliner and the attendant problems that would cause. My tail lights, license plate light, backup lights, dome light and rear cigarette lighter wiring were all in acceptable shape.

Dan

Now for the disclaimer. Nothing I said here applies to any car that has set outside for years, unprotected from the elements, rodents, and intrusive bush and tree growth. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The wiring harness mistake has been corrected, as seen in this photo. And an overall view of the car from the passenger's side.

First fire has been promised within a week. The complete upholstery package is in the shop and ready to be installed in the car. I was given what I considered to be a solid estimate of two weeks to completion. When I left the shop today, the rear fenders were being brought in for installation and the dash is nearly complete and ready.

post-61965-143142187858_thumb.jpg

Dan

post-61965-143142187837_thumb.jpg

Progress observed today:

Both rear fenders have been installed along with the tail lights; the headliner, door windlace and B-pillar upholstery are being installed today; both front inner fenders are installed; the throttle linkage is installed; the battery is fully installed in tray with hold-down; and the dash has been installed with all instruments and some controls. The paint on the dash and all the reveal mouldings is a split scheme of Verde green over some light green/gray/touch-of-blue color that I've never been able to identify from color charts. You can't tell from the photos but in person you can see that the colors are factory correct. I'm pretty sure that all the heater hoses and the gas tank were installed after I left the shop today. Front fenders go on after the wiring has been completed in the engine compartment.

First fire has been promised for Monday or Tuesday of next week.

post-61965-143142198265_thumb.jpg

Dan

post-61965-143142198116_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142198139_thumb.jpg

post-61965-14314219816_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142198181_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142198201_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142198222_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142198243_thumb.jpg

Dan,

This reminds me of when we had a house custom-built. This is the adrenalin stage! I know the color you mention on the lower portion of the dash, and your description is very much what I've observed. I will be pulling my dash to repaint it and I need to find that color number to have it mixed.

Your car looks great now and will be amazing when you drive it home - I am guessing it will even smell like a new car!

Geoff

The gas tank is installed and plumbed. The engine has been test cranked for oil pressure and fuel pump operation. Passed.

First fire had been scheduled for Monday or Tuesday of this past week but now is set for next Tuesday. The exhaust is going back in before she fires.

post-61965-14314220832_thumb.jpg

Dan

post-61965-1431422083_thumb.jpg

Edited by 49_buick_super

I've been asked a few questions about the installation of the brake master cylinder with the Wilwood disk brakes. Here are photos looking up from below the frame. In the one photo taken directly below the exhaust manifold throat, note that there is plenty of room for the exhaust pipe to drop away from the manifold and take its normal route through the frame on its way aft.

post-61965-14314220834_thumb.jpg

Dan

post-61965-143142208362_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143142208382_thumb.jpg

Edited by 49_buick_super (see edit history)

Dan,

This is coming along nicely! I would hate to drive the car - I assume you installed disc brakes because you intend to put some miles on it. The car looks flawless - I'm looking forward to the drive report.

I was under my dash looking for the dash mounting bolts and couldn't see them from below - where are they on the 49?

Geoff

...I was under my dash looking for the dash mounting bolts and couldn't see them from below - where are they on the 49? Geoff

Geoff,

On the '49, there are screws along the windshield margin of the dash, visible after the reveal mouldings are removed. Then under the dash there are bolts for braces that are behind the wiring maze on the drivers side and behind the glove box/defroster assemblies on the passengers side. Some in the area of the radio, too.

I do intend to drive it. It's been nearly 7 years since we last drove it. Too long for me and the bride. Any more cars we obtain in the future will be cars that we can maintain in top condition but always ready to drive. This is the second complete restoration of a vehicle I've been involved with and the last. No more restorations.

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super
context clarification (see edit history)