My Grandfather's '37 Oldsmobile

James

Guest mercman86

James:

I am very sorry about the loss of your dad. He'll be watching over your restoration and just think how proud he would be of you when shes all finished.

Take care buddy!

James,

I'm very sorry for your loss, and at the same time happy that you saved your dads car, as he would be. I still have the '28 Pontiac that my dad and I bought about fifty years ago, and it's like he is still here working on it with me. A part of your dad will always be with you along with all the memories. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

kaycee

Guest Paul Christ

James,

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your dad. Once your car is driveable again, I'm sure you'll be able to feel your dad sitting right there next to you enjoying that wonderful Olds. Look forward to that time, and think of your dad often while working on the car.

Take care, Paul

Guest windjamer

James,I too am sorry for your loss,believe me your keeping and working on the Olds is the best medicine to relieve your pain. As someone else said,your Dad will be rideing shotgun. In the same section as this forum is a section Local Clubs, click on this and it will give you the name and address of the nearest club to you.Call them, I know there are members there that want to meet you and are willing to help. Good luck friend.

Guest bofusmosby

James, I am so sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I agree, he will be riding shot-gun with you when you get his old 37 running again. I myself just purchased a 1937 Pontiac, so I am very interested in following your progress.

On Ebay, there is a 1937 Oldsmobile that is up for sale, and they have some videos of the car in action. I am posting the link, so that when you are feeling up to it, you might get some encouragement on seeing a fully operationable 37 Olds. It'l probably bring back some memories.

Here is the link

1937 Oldsmobile Six F-37 Sedan for Sale

Keep the faith my friend, and looking forward to your progress.

Jim (AKA Bofusmosby)

Hey, Friends,

When I last posted here it was a little over two weeks ago, right after my father passed away.

I have not posted back since, but I have read ALL of your expressions of condolence and support and, believe me, I really appreciated EACH AND EVERY ONE as I read it.

They meant a lot to me.

My father was 90 y/o and had been in a terrible condition for quite some time.

So, even though the closing of a chapter is always momentous, it is somehow easier when you know that it really is time for a loved one to go.

I am still physically exhaused from two weeks of 20 hour days spanning the funeral planning, funeral, estate sale, and cleaning the house out after the sale, but I am slowly recovering (I used to be able to burn that candle at both ends, but I ain’t as young as I once was!).

And I’m looking forward to Spring this year, in a special way.

And speaking of Spring, and new beginnings... let me bring you up to date on the ’37 Olds!

I mentioned in my last post 2 weeks ago that “me and my friend Mike” had gone down and “rescued” the car from the sinking house. But that didn’t near tell the story.

I was up against a time deadline to get the car out of the house, nowhere to take it, and no one I knew to get to work on it with/for me. I had made a few calls but nothing had panned out. Then one night I just had this thought about my friend Mike.

You’ve heard of “jack of all trades, master of none”? Well, Mike is “jack of all trades, master of ALL”! Plumbing, electrical, mechanical, carpentry, you name it. And he’s always talking about doing this to his car, that to his truck. So, with this FLASH of inspiration, I just picked up the phone and called him, outlined my situation (he had seen the old Olds before), told him I understood that I did not know about his time or if he had the space, but that my brain was on fire with the possibility of him maybe being able to let the old Olds go to his place and us (him!) work on it over there. His reply: “Sure! That sounds like fun!” Two problems solved in a heartbeat. I asked him if he would come down and supervise the loading and hauling, and when would be a good time for him to do this, and he said “How ‘bout this Saturday?” Talk about tumblers falling into place!!!

So, Saturday I picked him up and we headed down to my father’s house.

The first thing I wanted to see was if the tires that I had aired up the day before, the tires that had been flat for 38 years, had held air overnight. Yep! Standing tall!

So, the first thing Mike wanted to do was “Let’s roll ‘er outside.”

(It was 65 degrees with a high blue sky, the first really nice day of Spring.)

And so we did.

Here, the old Olds sees daylight and breathes fresh air for the first time in 38 years.

Mike and I were both just giddy. There are no words for how good this moment felt!!!

807520072_WheSB-L.jpg

Here’s a pretty typical view of Mike. He couldn’t wait to start exploring the car.

807520137_SqXUe-L.jpg

And if he wasn’t in it, he was under it. You’ll see his face eventually but not quite yet.

807520149_EeYBG-L.jpg

When the hauler guy (who was ACES!) arrived and started wenching the old Olds up onto the truck bed (ROLLING along on nice round tires!) Mike was just beside himself.

He thinks this car is SO COOL! Spontaneous laughter seemed to rule the day.

807520167_evs6G-L.jpg

At this point, we are pretty much tied down and just about ready to rock ‘n roll.

807520181_Ae7wy-L.jpg

Our journey up the road started with a fair stretch of expressway, and before we left I asked the rollback driver if he could accomodate me by staying in the right lane as much as conditions allowed. And I asked Mike if he would mind driving my car from my Dad’s house to his, and to stay to the left as much as possible. (“Sure”) That left me in the copilot’s seat with my trusty E-1.

First leg of the trip was up the meanest part of I-75.

807520201_4yAmv-L.jpg

And on for a while.

807520208_vGeTa-L.jpg

Eventually the big city starts to thin out a little bit.

807520225_m9dRj-L.jpg

And finally, with the sun getting low in the sky, we’re breathing country air.

Destination: Talking Rock!

807520235_CaTfp-L.jpg

We got to Mike’s just as it was getting dark.

The hauler dude dropped the old Olds right on a dime, just where Mike wanted it.

I paid him.

And then paused to take me a (headlight lighted) picture, in the gloaming, of the old Olds in its new home.

807520242_haTcE-L.jpg

It was a good day.

More later,

James

Edited by James (see edit history)

James,

Seeing the car out in the daylight really shows how beautiful it looks. It is really in wonderful shape, I’m sure that it drew much attention rolling down the road causing many to wish it was heading to their house. It's definitely a family jewel… Scott

I am sorry for the loss of your Father, but having been through a similar situaion, understand completely.

On the other hand, I am really happy that it looks like the folks here persuaded you to keep that car. What a great prize it is, which you will appreciate more as time goes by. I wish I lived closer so I could provide some hands on help with it.

Enjoy the coming months, it will be frustrating at times, but ultimately a hell of a lot of fun.

Zimm

Guest kaycee

Hi again James,

'Glad you got your car moved so well to a good site and with the help of a good friend. The old Olds will be a lot more comfortable back on the road itself rather than on a car hauler, which will come in time. Your dad would be proud of his son! Take care, and keep us posted.

:) kaycee

Guest Ctskip

The Olds looks great. Even better under daylight.

How ironic it is, that just as you take yours out into the light of day, I take mine which has been outside for 50 something years and moved her inside under cover where she'll spend the next couple of years.

Take your time and enjoy every moment. Enjoyment is what it's all about.

Ctskip

James,

Reading about your dad's passing brought back some memories. My dad was a real car guy. He loved going for rides in my cars.

This is him in my 1923 Buick Model 45 touring, Easter 2006. A month later he was gone...

Dadin1923Buick-Easter2006a.jpg

So, I've got a pretty good idea of how you're feeling...

Working on the Olds will be great therapy.

James,

Seeing the car out in the daylight really shows how beautiful it looks. It is really in wonderful shape, I’m sure that it drew much attention rolling down the road causing many to wish it was heading to their house. It's definitely a family jewel… Scott

See... I've been looking at some of the pictures of some of the cars you guys have. And compared to a lot of y'alls, this particular model Olds seems pretty ordinary. But it is a "family" car, MY family's car, so yep for me it IS a "family jewel"

Thanks for writing Scott!

I am sorry for the loss of your Father, but having been through a similar situaion, understand completely.

Thanks Zimm.

On the other hand, I am really happy that it looks like the folks here persuaded you to keep that car.

ME TOO!

What a great prize it is, which you will appreciate more as time goes by. I wish I lived closer so I could provide some hands on help with it.

Wish you did too. But if you will keep checked in and see if you can answer any of my questions COMING UP SOON, that will be about as good!

Enjoy the coming months, it will be frustrating at times, but ultimately a hell of a lot of fun.

It's going to be great ! ! ! :)

Zimm

Thanks Zimm.

Hi again James,

'Glad you got your car moved so well to a good site and with the help of a good friend. The old Olds will be a lot more comfortable back on the road itself rather than on a car hauler, which will come in time. Your dad would be proud of his son! Take care, and keep us posted.

:) kaycee

Ya know, as I start to think more about this, I really do still have a pretty good memory of driving this car.

I put in a LOT of hours behind the wheel of this vehicle.

And it's just such a different experience from driving a car of today.

I got nothing against A/C and huggy leather seats and CD players and cruise controls.

But just something about that old engine, the three speed manual shift, living by the sound of the pitch of the revs of the engine constantly telling you what to do next.

Preaching to the choir I assume.

But I'm really looking forward to the experience of DRIVING this car again!

Thanks Kaycee

James

The Olds looks great. Even better under daylight.

How ironic it is, that just as you take yours out into the light of day, I take mine which has been outside for 50 something years and moved her inside under cover where she'll spend the next couple of years.

Take your time and enjoy every moment. Enjoyment is what it's all about.

Ctskip

That's my plan!

Thanks Skip

James,

Reading about your dad's passing brought back some memories. My dad was a real car guy. He loved going for rides in my cars.

This is him in my 1923 Buick Model 45 touring, Easter 2006. A month later he was gone...

Dadin1923Buick-Easter2006a.jpg

So, I've got a pretty good idea of how you're feeling...

Working on the Olds will be great therapy.

1940_Buick,

What a great picture!

I bet you DO know about how I'm feeling and what working on this car is meaning to me.

Therapy indeed!

Thanks.

Guest daytona

What a great picture....

That car must of brought back some great memories for your dad. Mine passed 10yrs ago and I never had the chance (or the car) to give him a ride he was real Buick fan as well. Now I have the car but....

Thats the problem with older parents:)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Friends,

A wonderful opportunity has arisen but it is TIME CRITICAL.

Me and Mike have been making some slow progress on the old Olds.

Slow because he’s pretty busy being a school teacher and with a family, church, etc.

But he just told me,

“Hey I’ve got a week off for Spring break coming up.

I could work pretty much that whole week on the car IF I had some parts to work with.”

But he didn’t give me much lead time on this.

I wasn’t really anticipating this, and he just told me.

So... I’m sort of scrambling to see what parts I can come up with ASAP.

Really need to get them by Friday April 2, to make the most of Mike’s available time.

Or by Monday the 5th say.

Here’s what would do me the most good.

For a 1937 Oldsmobile

6 cylinder, 4-door sedan:

Style No. 37-3619

Body No. 47919

1-

original “Shop Manual” for this car

2-

Carburetor Kit 1033 or 1034

3-

Distributor - Delco Remy 647F

4-

Water Pump

I have not seen any numbers that apply to this.

Is is just “a water pump for a ’37 Oldsmobile”?

Any or all of the following types of help would help me:

- if you have one of the above yourself that you could sell me (#1 by far!)

- if you know of a retail source which handles such items as this that I could check with

- if you know how to “confidently locate” any of these items on eBay

[ I have tried eBay myself and just feel a bit in over my head.

[ somewhat confused by many of the “descriptions

[ don’t have a “feel” for who is a trustworthy seller vs. not.

[ etc.

[ so please don’t just say “look on eBay”

[ but if you could locate any of the above and give me an ITEM NUMBER... ! ! !

If you can HELP in any way, PLEASE contact me through my profile this forum.

Either PM or eMail fine.

Much obliged for any help!

James

Edited by James (see edit history)

Hi James,

Ebay is ok if you have a level of comfort with it. I would definitely pick up a Hemmings Motor News at your local Borders or whatever news shop you have available to you. Look in the Oldsmobile section and you can find any number of things.

Good luck!

Frank

Guest bofusmosby

James

I see that Kanter (1-800-526-1096) sells the water pump for your car. The price is $139.78 with a $59.00 deposit required. They come with a lifetime warranty. Thye sell the carburetor kits as well. They vary in price, depending on which one you need. I didn't see just the distributer cap listed, but they sell the tune up kit for $50, which includes the cap, rotor, condenser and spark plugs. I checked on Ebay, and I found some manuals for sale, both in paper, as well as on disc for the computer. I recommend you get one in paper. I have both, and on the computer disc, the pictures are not that clear. Not enough detail IMO.

Guest raywilks

try your local NAPA store, talk to theie oldest pars man. look for a store in a small town that has been there awhile. if you get a parts man who will work with you, he can have it all overnite. they sell Echlin ignition and you need the following:

dist cap RR95

rotor button RR83

points set CS 777a

condenser RR 134.sorry, i do not have catalogs back far enough for the carb kit and waterpump, but they do.

also, on this machine search Rock auto parts. you will be amazed what they have, for 2 day service. good luck!!!

Hey Ray,

You were the first person to post in this thread.

And another along the way.

Good to hear from you.

I've been thinking "specialty", hadn't really considered NAPA.

Thanks for the suggestion.

One sad little point, I DO live out in the boonies, and there WAS this NAPA store in this small town nearby, with an old guy there.

But our little NAPA store went the way of much these days, out of business.

I'll see what I can find thereabouts though.

Also will check ROCK.

THANKS!

Jim

Hey Jim (bofusmosby),

No, I wasn't really thinking toward a CD shop manual either.

But what about the "reproduction" ones I see on eBay?

No "collectibility" of course.

But aside from that...accurate? complete? readable?

Get one?

Or better to get the original?

Thanks,

James

Guest bofusmosby

James

I wish I knew the answer. I have a 1937 Pontiac, and I first ordered the CD for the computer. I wasn't satisfied with the quality of the diagrams/photos, so I ordered an original from ebay a few weeks later. I paid $15 for mine, so if you wait, you'll see some better prices. As far as the quality of the reporductions, I haven't seen one yet. Maybe someone else here can answer that. I didn't buy an original for the "collectability" factor, but for the needed info inside. If the repos are of top quality, then to me it really wouldn't make any difference. You could always buy an original service manual later on.

James,

If you find a reasonably priced shop manual on Ebay, be sure some photos are included that show how the pictures look in reproduction. They are usually fine but sometimes darker than the original. The good thing about a cheap repro manual is you can really "use" it, leave it in the garage, not worry about greasy fingerprints, etc. If you can buy an original manual do so but you will want to preserve that better than a repro.

Guest Ctskip

Maybe sombody has the page or two you need and can copy them and will e-mail them to ya. That'll get you going. As for parts I'm no help there.

Did you ever get a cover for her yet? They help

Ctskip

Guest Ctskip

James,

there's a thread that might be of interest to you. It's in the general discussion section. It's called 'survivor value?' Some good stuff there.

Ctskip

James, My early post-war NAPA catalog lists the '37 Olds water pump repair kit as Allied Grapho CS 135, fitting all '37-'49 except V8's. The pump itself is Allied Grapho CP 158. Of course, over the years their supplier may have not remained the same.

A "Motor's Auto Repair Manual" from any of the early post-war year gives very good coverage, all the way back to 1935, and would be about as good as a "factory" manual for your purposes, and they can be bought very reasonably. I have a '46 edition, if interested send me a pm. Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ctskip

Well? We are waiting for some pictures and a story to go along with it. How did you make out? Did ya get to go for a spin?

Ctskip

• 4 weeks later...
Guest raywilks

james, are you ok?

we have not heard for a while. thought you had it going your way. please update us when you can. regards, ray wilks

• 1 month later...
Guest windjamer

:)Anyone know what happened to James?? I thought his post was quite interesting, but maby James just lost interest:(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to EVERYBODY (too many to name, you know who you are!!!) .

ALL the people who have written and encouraged me in this thread.

I got an eMail from Ctskip today saying “we miss you” and “how’s it going” (thanks, man!).

That impelled me back over to the forum just now here.

Lordy! You mean it’s been over three months since I’ve checked in here? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !

Where to start?

Well, no windjammer I haven’t lost interest.

It’s been sort of like this...

When my stepmother was selling my Dad’s house out from under me, I sort of had a gun to my head and HAD to treat the ’37 Olds as top priority.

And I got it out in time, and hauled safely to my friend Mike’s house, where it is safe and sound, and under cover.

But at that point, with the car secured, OTHER THINGS, rose to top priority.

Mainly, lawyers, trying to get my father’s Will probated and his estate settled, etc.

And I’m not the best multi-tasker around.

I tend to get wrapped up in one project ‘til it’s finished.

So... I’ve been sort of “distracted” from the car.

BUT... I am not totally without progress to report.

By fits and starts, in between all the lawyer crap:

We’ve got a new distributor in it.

And we’ve rebuilt the carburetor.

Got a new battery for it.

Got the old oil (sludge!) drained out, and some new oil in.

Engine turns free, btw.

Got a new ignition coil in it.

Disassembled the starter and except for needing some lubrication it checked out fine.

Got the running boards taken off, to take up the road, when I get a chance, to Mr. Acuff to strip and remold them.

And maybe some other things I’m not remembering.

Main thing next needs to be the water pump.

And work through the brake system which we haven’t done yet.

And the wiring is all “crumbly”; am thinking to just get a new wiring harness for her.

So... sorry not to have stayed in touch with you guys, who have meant so much to me.

But, as I said, my “head” has been elsewhere.

And nothing really to take a picture of to post, or anything.

I’m thinking (hoping!) that the estate will be, if not totally settled, at least pretty much under control by (???) the end of the summer (?), Labor Day maybe?

Then maybe during the fall, really make some progress with the car.

By then maybe most of the most important mechanical work can be done, and I can be getting me a new interior in it (which it REALLY needs!) and just the tad of body work it needs.

I promise I won’t forget y’all.

And as I get into more “photographic” progress I’ll for sure post pictures.

And in the meantime will also just try to check in for any “conversation” that may be going on here!

Thanks again to everybody,

James

P.S. Met up with a fellow, just yesterday actually, who turned out to be a hill neighbor I had never met, out in his 1930 Model A (painted Navy with Gold spokes Jeff!). Sort of "viscerally renewed" the feeling of how nice it is to have something like this to tool around in!

Guest bofusmosby

Glad to here you are still with us James. I completely understand about other priorities, we were just concerned about you because we hadn't heard from you in so long. At least you have the car, and its safe. Its been sitting so long, another couple of months or so won't make any difference. :)

Keep us posted, and yes, we like photos. I look forward to reading more of your progress, and seeing the photographs.

Take care

• 4 weeks later...