1904 car cleaning suggestions

Guest John M

Guest John M

I have recently taken position of a 1904 Oldsmobile touring runabout with the french front. I was originally planning on a full restoration but so many people who have seen the car have convinced me to keep it in its original condition. This car has been moved many times in the past forty years but there has never been any cleaning performed on it during this time plus some before my father originally took position.

My question is what do I use to clean the wood body, the greasy rear axil, the under carriage with paint and the metal painted hood.

After cleaning I would like to enhance the paint on the entire car, what would I do to accomplish this?

Thanks for all responses and considerations.

Guest John M

I have recently taken position of a 1904 Oldsmobile touring runabout with the french front. I was originally planning on a full restoration but so many people who have seen the car have convinced me to keep it in its original condition. This car has been moved many times in the past forty years but there has never been any cleaning performed on it during this time plus some before my father originally took position.

My question is what do I use to clean the wood body, the greasy rear axil, the under carriage with paint and the metal painted hood.

After cleaning I would like to enhance the paint on the entire car, what would I do to accomplish this?

Thanks for all responses and considerations.

Neat car! I don't think some mild soap and water can really hurt anything. Try Dawn dish soap on the greasy stuff. Try not to get the leather wet though. Use Lexol on the leather.

I wouldn't restore it either. You'll have just as much fun driving it in its original state, and you'll spend a fraction of the money.

My father's 1911 Franklin is in similar shape. The engine and transmission are totally restored, but the rest of it is original. The upholstery is starting to come apart at the seams, but the leather is still supple, so I may try to re-stitch it. It's a lot of fun this way.

I would try car wash soap with soft rags and sponge. For the greasy parts varsol or kerosene.

If the paint is flaking or deteriorated don't try to clean it until you consult an antique or art conservator.

When the car was new they probably recommended cleaning with a chamois and clean water, nothing else. This is what they used on coachbuilt finishes.

Thanks for the photos! GREAT CAR! I'd take the dust off it but wouldn't go crazy removing road dirt & grease, exposing fresh original paint may take away from the overall look. Now for another question, leave the barss as is or polish it? I've see unrestored cars in the same condition as yours with polished or as found brass and they look good either way.

Guest John M

Here are two more pictures.

IMG_2385-1.jpgIMG_2386-1.jpg

Thanks for all the replies!!

What mechanically would you guys recommend to do at a minimum?

John....That is a great looking car! I think preservation is actually harder to do than restoration. Mechanically I would make sure it is properly lubricated at all points requiring said. This may take some thought though; as lubricants were far different when it rolled out the door of the factory in 1904. Also, old lubricants may have to be cleaned out before new is added. I hesitate to recommend any action as I am not at all familiar with this make and model. One thing I would recommend is that you spend a good bit of time studying the car an try to obtain all the literature and data you can before moving ahead. Get copies of parts books, owners' manuals, and production data if you can. Again....GREAT CAR!

John, I think we all forgot to welcome you to the Forum, that car sure made a grand entrance. It must have a great history having survived this long and never seen much hobby use. Getting that car functional will take some time, I'd start at the front and work my back taking wheels off and inspecting bearings and lubing everything. Flushing the transmission and crankcase are also must do things. Its 104 years old and should have everything inspected before you try to start it.

Not quite chocolate one! Please take the added on emblem off the front of the radiator!

Join the Curved Dash Oldsmobile Club as there are some members with similar cars. GM owns one, The REO Transportation Museum in Lansing, Michigan has a 1905.

GREAT car, I agree that I probably would not restore it unless that is something you really want to do. If that is the case go ahead. I would try to ascertain though if it is really an original car or if it has been "restored" at some point in time. There are a lot of cars that have been erroneously thought to be original which turned out to be a 50-80 year old restoration that just looks original! If it is not original that might change my opinion a bit.

John, if I can help in any way please PM me

John, I would not use any water on this wooden body car. If you get it wet and let it dry your are going to crack the body. We have restored 15 pre 1908 cars in the past 8 years and every time we put any water on the orig. wood it cracks. Call me and I will give you the name of products to use to clean this car.

Greg 717-574-6319

We have a 1904 10hp rear entrance in the shop we wil be starting shortly French front.

Hi to all- I had the pleasure of inspecting the car first hand, I can say with confidence that the car has never been restored. The only question mark was the seat cushions, and after examining them (and I am a trimmer as a hobby), if they were redone, they were redone in the original style back in the 20's or 30's when the "old methods" were still in common use (horsehair, hand stitching, etc). It's a great car, and John was a great host to allow me to see it in person! There are things that need to be fixed to make the car "roadable", and we discussed ways to do those that would hold to the adage "first, do no harm". David Coco Winchester VA.

Guest John M

Thanks for all who have given me priceless advice and encouragement in my special project. When the time comes I will email those who have invited me to for information to help bring this car back to life.

David, again thank you for all the kind wisdom you have shared with me. I will do my best to keep this car in original and good driving condition.

I will try to keep everyone interested up to date on my progress.

John