Vintage Fabric Source

29 Chandler

Well, you're going to have an interesting time with that restoration! Most closed cars of the era had either solid or striped fabric interiors, most often mohair. Your car has what appears to be a solid color mohair bordered by a Jacquard style decorative fabric. Jacquard style fabrics include brocade and damask patterned material.

Such materials are available, but you'll have two challenges. The first is finding a match to what the car originally had in it, and the second is finding a trimmer willing to take the time to do the job as done originally. I'd guess there's a third challenge, and that will be paying for that time!

The basic material is available from Hirsch, Lebaron Bonney, or other suppliers. SMS deals in a lot of unusual period fabrics, and they may have a brocade, though I've never dealt with them. My guess is you'll have to find the patterned fabric through a regular fabric store.

Nice project, good luck with your restoration!

I try to deal with SMS they would never answer there phone . When it was it was a answer service and they never got back to me . I am using Bill Hirsh. Great people to work with. Kings32

Guest Skyking

Doug at SMS has his own looms and makes many patterns. I would suggest calling him and sending a sample.

Kings32, we must have been typing at the same time. It's been a while since I've spoken to Doug, maybe things there have changed. He had odd ball patterns I've needed......

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Thanks guys you have given me hope. The body is from a 1914 Chandler sedan with what we think is a Willoubghy body. This is possibly the last one left as Chandler only contracted with Willoubghy for 1914. In the end I want to do it right as there is only one pattern to go from, what is left on this car. Before we get to this stage the body (wood and aluminum will need to be rebuilt). Its a long term and costly project, but one I fell worth saving.

Here is a picture of the body today. We just brought it home about a month ago.

post-31249-143142991801_thumb.jpeg

post-31249-143142991804_thumb.jpeg