1969 versus 1967 430 V-8s--differences

Pete Phillips

This is just an observation or "beware" for anyone who thinks the 1967 and 1969 430 V-8s are interchangeable. I am working on a '69 Electra whose 430 I decided to replace, after seeing the internal rust damage. I found a complete, 67,000-mile 430 in a 1967 Wildcat in a good salvage yard 100 miles east of here. Pulled the engine out and hauled it home, and found some interesting differences. The oil pan for the '69 has the sump in in the rear of the pan; the '67 has the sump in the center! I haven't gotten to the oil pump pickup tube yet, but I'm sure I will have to make some modifications there. The '69 has been an Oklahoma car since new; the '67 came from northern Texas near Wichita Falls. Both are factory A/C cars.

The '69 engine (second photo) has very jagged, sloppy-appearing openings at the base of the valley where the lifters are housed. It just looks like very poor foundry casting work. You can't see it in the photo, but a couple of the housings for the hydraulic lifters are extremely thin--more evidence of sloppy foundry work. The '67 engine (third photo) has very uniform openings which are much more gradual and smooth, and the lifter housings are all good and thick.

I also found differences in the intake manifold and carburetor fuel line inlet. One takes the fuel line straight into the front of the carburetor; the other has a 90-degree bend in the fuel filter housing and takes the fuel line in from the right side. Heater hose nipples are also in very different locations on the two manifolds, and to be expected, the '69 has more vacuum hoses and ports in its intake manifold, perhaps due to increasing environmental regulations in 1969?

I will try to attach some photos of the two engines. Any comments or insight?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

post-32059-143142987748_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142987758_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142987779_thumb.jpg

The oil pan and sump are specific to the car they were built for. Ex the Riv uses a center sump and another model will use a rear sump depending on how the steering linkages are designed. The carb diff is due to the 69's have an electric pump in the tank and the fuel line routing on the R side of the car and the 67 has a mechanical pump on the LF of the engine and the fuel lines crossing inside of the cross member under the engine. Mechanically there should be no major differences in the engines them selves. The 67 actually had better heads. I could easily swap a 430 and 455 either way by only changing the pan and pick up tube.

I might be mistaken, but it seems that many of the "front entrance" fuel lines for the QJet were on QJects "Made by Carter", rather than Rochester. All of the Rochester QJets I've seen have the front-side fuel filter/inlet, using the typical "rock" filter. Possibly the apparently larger filter in the front entrance carbs was a larger filter and cost marginally more than the smaller "rock" filter, so things were standardized for the "rock" filter and side inlets? There were "nylon mesh" filters for the marine applications and also "pleated paper" fuel filters, too, but the "bronze rock" filter seems to be the most common.

Perhaps it was a "packaging" issue for some engines, plus the rh frt mechanical fuel pumps, also? As the side entrance certainly makes for a more compact package.

NTX5467

That '67 appears nice. I'd use most of that. The '66-7 qjets has side inlets like Chev and '68 forward front inlet. Intake to carb linkage interference sometimes happens with later carbs on early intakes. Casting flash and core shift are not so very good and seen alot, but not a big deal with a driver-good luck. Dan Mpls. Mn.