Ford model T tank

Guest Rp1967

Ford designed this small 2 man tank during WW1 and 15,000 were ordered but only 15 were built in 1918 before the war ended.

Only 2 are known to exist , one at Fort Knox(but its drive train was updated to a jeep engine) and this one at aberdeen proving grounds ( with its original twin model T engines).

post-100370-143142969484_thumb.jpg

post-100370-143142969487_thumb.jpg

post-100370-14314296949_thumb.jpg

I knew of some Fordson tractor experiments but this is new to me too.......... :D

I can't imagine how one of those things could even move seeing as a Model T has much of all it can do to get from point A to point B....... :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention the artical said its top speed was 8 mph.

Years ago I transported a rare Buda engine from Indiana ....

That is when I met Fred Ropkey & was privileged to tour the Ropkey Armor Museum in Indiana

Among the collection of restored tanks is an M917 .....

@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_light_tank

@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_light_tank#mediaviewer/File:M1917_Tank.jpg

Jim

Seriously doubt they were built by Ford. Henry Ford was an ardent pacifist who said publicly that he would give his entire fortune to end the war. I believe he was sincere, he spent $450,000 on his Peace Ship project in 1915.

He also refused to make any war materials although there were quite a few Model T ambulances. I don't know if he made an exception for life saving, or they were built by others on Ford chassis.

It is possible they were experiments or test beds with Model T power plants chosen for the planetary transmissions. One of the problems with the first tanks was there was so much friction in the track mechanism that they ground to a halt every time you threw out the clutch and shifted gears. The solution was a planetary trans that would supply continuous power when shifting. WW1 tanks had planetary transmissions patterned after the Ford, after the war makers like Cotal made 4 speed car transmissions. These led to the first automatic transmissions which also use planetary gears.

These tanks were indeed made by Ford and they are well known within the Model T clubs. I remember hearing about a T expert (he had an odd name which I forget) being called upon to assist in the restoration when it was acquired about 20 years ago. There's a trivia question I always ask,"What was the first year Ford had a self starter"? The answer is 1917 in these tanks. If it stalled in the middle of a battle the soldier couldn't walk out to the front and crank it. It wasn't put in regular Ts until 19.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Seriously doubt they were built by Ford. Henry Ford was an ardent pacifist who said publicly that he would give his entire fortune to end the war. I believe he was sincere, he spent $450,000 on his Peace Ship project in 1915.

He also refused to make any war materials although there were quite a few Model T ambulances. I don't know if he made an exception for life saving, or they were built by others on Ford chassis.

Don't forget the Eagle boats... fully loaded with guns and depth charges. Henry must have had a little fight in him!

• 2 weeks later...