1950 Super Convertible

MrEarl

Guest Peter Bird

Nah, I miss it too much, and nobody's to blame. I could have had the chassis repaired but chose not to. It has gone to a panel beater who by all accounts has restored it into a gorgeous car. Happy ending, even if not the fairy tale I wanted it to be. Cheers Ken.

If anybody here on the Buick site needs a first-hand - hands-on look at the car, I am within 15 minutes of the seller. I've offered to look it over, and to provide any help. Where I live is about half-way between the New Orleans French Quarter and the Airport.

Would be glad to help any potentially serious buyer.......

....and I do have some personal knowledge of vintage Buicks !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest Peter Bird

Did somebody end up buying this car?

I sent a message to owner, but, no reply. Understandably he or she might not be willing to ship this beautiful classic out of the USA.

Guest Peter Bird

Man. In my dreams! I would love that car like my little sister!

Come to think of it, I used to bash her when I was a kid LOL!

Only softly tho...

Nah, wasn't me, sadly.

I really thought about this one. Seems like it's gone now. When he mentioned last drive in May '86 - I was there. I didn't think much of it at the time, but that drive was at my high school. I was a year behind the seller in school, so I'm thinking he got to drive it at/around his graduation. The name sounded familiar - my stepfather used to go to a marine supply store with that name - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the seller's father's store. I bet my dad lives within 5 miles of where that car was parked.

I thought about calling my dad, asking him to check it out (with cash in hand), have it hauled to his house (he stored a car in his garage for me before, though it might not go over so well now), until I could have it transported out here... But really, I need to work on what I've got. Though a convertible might be worth more when it's done, I had a convertible out here for a little bit, and the season for it isn't near as long as it was when I lived in either Florida or New England. (Here, it goes from too cold to too hot in about 12 hours, so enjoy your annual drive with the top down.)

I'll be happier with the hardtop (and maybe some AC). Besides, I read everyone's analysis on price, and it's basically only worth spending big money to make it nice if it was handed to you with a big pile of money... I already have a couple of those (that didn't come with piles of money)...

• 2 weeks later...
I really thought about this one. Seems like it's gone now. When he mentioned last drive in May '86 - I was there. I didn't think much of it at the time, but that drive was at my high school. I was a year behind the seller in school, so I'm thinking he got to drive it at/around his graduation. The name sounded familiar - my stepfather used to go to a marine supply store with that name - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the seller's father's store. I bet my dad lives within 5 miles of where that car was parked.

I thought about calling my dad, asking him to check it out (with cash in hand), have it hauled to his house (he stored a car in his garage for me before, though it might not go over so well now), until I could have it transported out here... But really, I need to work on what I've got. Though a convertible might be worth more when it's done, I had a convertible out here for a little bit, and the season for it isn't near as long as it was when I lived in either Florida or New England. (Here, it goes from too cold to too hot in about 12 hours, so enjoy your annual drive with the top down.)

I'll be happier with the hardtop (and maybe some AC). Besides, I read everyone's analysis on price, and it's basically only worth spending big money to make it nice if it was handed to you with a big pile of money... I already have a couple of those (that didn't come with piles of money)...

Eric ...I too had some mild interest in this car...interesting that you may have personal knowledge of the car from back in the day..it is still available I emailed the owners son and recieved an answer this afternoon. My concern was it was has been in New Orleans parked since 1986. First thing that came to mind was Hurricane Katrina and flooding...I asked about this and there was no assurance from the owner that Katrina was not a factor. In this thread Marty Roth offered to go look at the car as he is from New Orleans. I asked and he answered he had looked at it. Essentially this is a solid#5 car needing total restoration or maybe $5000+ extra needed to make this a #4 somewhat ugly but dependable driver. Observation was the flood water reached the center of the hubcaps but for a few days only. No immediate steps were taken to remediate any potential damage.

The 2015 Collector Car Price Guide (I recieved in the mail today) puts the value of this car in #5 condition at $5640. The flood water is a wild card surely the brakes etc need to be done but I'm maybe overly concerned about the old Dynaflow trans. The price guide values this car in #4 condition at $9400. A #1 car is estimated at $47,000. The car might be worth a shot at #5 pricing but i would have to add $1500 in shipping and then begin to outlay time and cash to make it a fun driver. Trying to make this a show car could get real pricey...the 50 had quite a mouthful of chrome teeth. The flood water and questionable Dynaflow make me pass even at #5 pricing.