Smart Signal Magnetic Wireless Turn Signals

STuTZ693

A good idea and if you can't find these specific ones for sale (the site only says they are accepting deposits for when they do build them) you can get something similar for bicycles. I see them often here in Portland, they are wireless but tend to be in one unit, not separate flashers like these so not as ideal but would work for cars like mine without factory hazards.

Now that I'm thinking about this, I bet you could take apart one of these systems and install the lights inside OEM or OEM-style chrome signal pods so you could leave them in place all the time. Maybe you could even fit them inside the existing brake light housings.

Has anyone actually received delivery since February '14. I waited 3 months (from Nov '13), called numerous times asking when I will receive delivery. I was told after 3 calls that the company was bought out and production should resume soon. I decided to ask for a credit of my $25 deposit, which was promptly credited. John, the POC, said that I will still receive my set. Never to hear from them again. Potentially a nice product if a collector has more then one car. But... Ron. BTY the total cost is $360 + options.

What would you use for front turn signals and can 4 lights work on one control unit. Looks like it would be limited to just the rear which would mean that you would still have to use hand signals to alert oncoming traffic (in theory anyway)..

I wouldn't put anything on the front and still use hand signals. My biggest concern is alerting the people behind me as to what I'm doing. Every close call I had was from someone following too close.

What would you use for front turn signals and can 4 lights work on one control unit. Looks like it would be limited to just the rear which would mean that you would still have to use hand signals to alert oncoming traffic (in theory anyway)..

I talked to the guy "selling" these a couple of years ago, same story it is now "will deliver when production resumes"....I, too, would like to hear from someone who actually received and uses these lights....

Those smart signals I'm sure are the cat's meow but that's a lot of money.

I purchased signal stats, front and rear lights (act as both signal and brake lights), wire and wiring loom for two cars and the brake light switches (made for Model A Fords....very adaptable) for about $200.

Installation a PIA to install but it seems anything worth having is....... :rolleyes:

post-93523-143142653915_thumb.jpg

post-93523-143142653917_thumb.jpg

I have had the same experience. I sent in my $25 Dec 2013 and have been waiting ever since then. I have called and have had several nice conversations with John Peterson, founder and CEO. He offered to return my $25 but I'll just hope and wait. I need the signals for my 1932 Packard far more than I need the $25. The story is always "in a couple of months, we have a new supplier", but nothing so far.

Howard

The advantage of this system is being wireless, of course....advantage multiplied if you own numerous old cars, so you could easily transfer from the car you drove yesterday to the car you drive today....with that in mind the price, while steep, isn't awful....

I don't understand why he's having trouble getting them made, obviously there's interest in purchasing them...my wild ass guess is that he's trying to get them made for cheap overseas and having trouble finalizing a deal....

I don't recall seeing anything regarding brightness or battery life, or some kind of notification to let you know the batteries are weak. If they are magnetically attached and contain batteries I wonder about the possibility of them falling off (like some of the cheap sets used to haul cars or for temporary use on trailers).

I'm not associated with Smart Signal, although I am tempted to buy a set if they ever make them available. That being said they advertise that they are made in a factory in the US. I can only assume a component is hard to get or they have really, really slow workers.

They advertise the battery life as being good for a 500 mile trip on one charge.

On the website it says the inside signal controller will indicate a low battery in the units.

Supposedly the magnets have an 80 pound force magnet.

Now all they have to do is get some units made, distributed so we can get some reviews.

Carl

Guest Skyking
I wouldn't put anything on the front and still use hand signals. My biggest concern is alerting the people behind me as to what I'm doing. Every close call I had was from someone following too close.

"Hand signals" ?? Does anyone today even know what they mean? People today don't even know the proper distance to keep between cars at certain speeds. I would be very reluctant to even drive a car today without turn signals......................

Bob,

I have a few cars without turn signals and I just use hand signals. Do many people understand what they mean? Probably not many. However around here half the people don't use turn signals anyway including the cops so I don't get overly worried about it. I'm tempted to purchase these lights if they ever become available, in the mean time I'm just going to enjoy my cars as they were manufactured.

Carl

Petri, I had my order in in Nov '13. after March'14 I bailed and got my $25 back. Peterson said that he would keep me in Que when the next set comes out. Frankly, I have reasons to believe they never will. I know the company that bought him out. I'll bet it was just for patent rights. Ray Horton of the Model A Ford Club bought a set just before Oct '13 and received his. he had to order an additional part which eventually came. Check out the story on the Ford Barn.

Ugh, I really would like to have a set of those lights. Interesting that some people have actually received them in the distant past. I can live without them I guess and $25 isn't a fortune if I lose it. But what a way to do business; it reflects on the times we live in. I'd like to read about it on the Ford Barn; I'l try and track it down. Thanks Rons49 for the update.

Howard

I looked at them. The controller box looks like a Heathkit box put together by a 12 yr old. For that kind of money I would expect a more professional box other than a toggle switch (prone to breaking).

I'll pass as my arm is also wireless and it works every time in every vehicle and it has an option that these don't.... a middle finger for those other occasions.

I have bought turn and emergency LED signals called ELights, from The Egypt Garage, 388 Mason Road Sutie 4a, Fairport, NY 14450. Their web site is theegyptgarage.com, telephone (585) 598-6060. They cost $150 and were easy to install.

They are remote with no wires, and I use one set for both my 1923 Buick and my 1931 Chevy. They are battery operated, only work at the rear of the car and are NOT self canceling. This means that after your activate the turn signals or flasher, you have to remember to push the cancel button. They are VERY bright LEDs. I like them.