Dodge 21" Disk wheels wanted and 1927? front axle

carlisle1926

I'm in need of several 21" Dodge disk wheels. I'm turning the remains of a 1923 chassis into a speedster. I currently have two nice 20" wheels and two 21" wheels. I would rather run 21". I need as many 21" wheels as I can get. Also, my original front axle has incorrect hubs and it is bent. I have been told that a later axle 1924-27 will have more of a drop than my original and it would be better suited for a speedster. let me know what you have. Jason Barnett (713) 817-8997 Houston TX. I will not be using the original rear axle. Willing to trade these nice red 20" wheels for decent 21" wheels.

CIMG8989.jpg

CIMG9028.jpg

CIMG9027.jpg

CIMG9029.jpg

Edited by carlisle1926 (see edit history)

I seem to be finding a lot of 20" disk wheels, but NO 21" wheels. Any idea why this is? What years were the 21" wheel produced? Also, One of my 21" wheel lock rings isn't very good, so I could use another lock ring if you have it. I might just end up having to use 20" wheels if some 21" don't surface soon.

Jason Barnett

Edited by carlisle1926 (see edit history)

During the 1920s and into the depression the price of 21" Dodge size tires was at least double that of 6.00-20 truck tires, the most common and competitively priced truck tire of the era. The truck tires had more plies for stronger casings, higher load rating and much longer life ( more miles due to thicker rubber treads) and could be shoehorned onto the Dodge wheels. Since the 20" wheels just bolted on the same hubs the junk yards often had 20" wheels "pre-sold" to waiting owners wanting to switch over. 21" wheels went right into the gondola headed for the melting pot as there was no sale for them.

During the 1920s and into the depression the price of 21" Dodge size tires was at least double that of 6.00-20 truck tires, the most common and competitively priced truck tire of the era. The truck tires had more plies for stronger casings, higher load rating and much longer life ( more miles due to thicker rubber treads) and could be shoehorned onto the Dodge wheels. Since the 20" wheels just bolted on the same hubs the junk yards often had 20" wheels "pre-sold" to waiting owners wanting to switch over. 21" wheels went right into the gondola headed for the melting pot as there was no sale for them.

That explains a lot. But, does any one know what years they were manufactured? All of the books that I have on Dodge Brothers cars shows them going strait from 24" tires in the early 1920's and into 20" tires without mention of a 21" wheel any where in there. I'm completely confused about the 21" wheels. It seems like with Model T and A Ford's using 21" tires from 1926-29, there would be more of these wheels out there. Were the 21" wheels used just on trucks or something?

1926 and early 1927 ONLY for the 21" disk and wood wheels to the best of my knowledge. This is why you are having a hard time finding a set. It took me YEARS to get a set of disks for my sedan and just as long for a set of 21" wood wheels for my coupe. I would keep looking here and DAILY on the HAMB classifieds. A good price is $50/ea. plus the ride.

Good Luck to you!

Bill

I still need four wheels and possibly five if any one has them. I'll take what I can get at this point as long as they are not rotted out. Since posting this ad, I have acquired the front axle that I need. Since starting this project, I have also learned that there isn't a guy that is into Dodge Brothers that I don't get along with. Thanks for all of the help.

Here is what I have on hand--- I have two 20" wheels with bad lock rings and I have two 21" wheels with only one good lock ring between the two. I would still much prefer 21" wheels, but 20" will do. (713) 817-8997 Jason Barnett

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Jason, I have a front axle from a 1925 DB. Don't know what model, as it was cut up to make a tractor (oversize rear end and two transmissions). It probably was a sedan of some kind, because I also have a 1924 DB Touring, and the cowls don't match. I can get a photo to you if you're interested. Willy