Salvaged chassis... need help ID'ing

Guest d3500ram

Guest d3500ram

Thread 2 of 2:

Hello folks... I salvaged 2 items from the scrap yard. Someone was going to throw these away, but I figured I would try to find a rightful home for them as someone must think they are useful.

They seem to me to be very unique pieces that I would hope the enthusiasts and experts here may be able to at least help me at least identify the year and model. One is a chassis the other a differential. I am just going to list the photos with self identifying numbers. PLEASE ask me questions of which I can provide you more information if needed. If you need specific close- up photos, dimensions, etc... please request where needed as I would like to help you help me.

My goal is to find homes for these items as I think they may be worth something to some one; I cringed at the fact that some one was going to throw them away. At the very least they could become some "lawn art" for an awesome antique store (or they may be worthless???)

Below is the chassis... axle in another thread located here: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/salvaged-differential-housing-need-help-iding-290280.html

chassis-

275:

2aj84lw.jpg

276:

x40pd5.jpg

277:

ohsg9f.jpg

279:

16gfleq.jpg

281:

2mmvlk.jpg

Edited by d3500ram (see edit history)

That frame is 21,22, or 23 Buick 6cyl. If you measure the length I can id the series, also the length between the two spring mounts, 22 vs 23.

The rear end housing looks like it is from the same frame. It looks to be in good shape

There is home for it.

Post this on the Buick Prewar forum. If you were closer I would take it.

JB

Buick 22-6-55 Sport Touring

Definitely 6 Cyl. Buick, no newer than 1923. Quite a few of these cars have survived. I would also be interested in it except for the distance involved. I have a 1918 with a so -so frame. I am sure you will find it a good home.

Looking at the pics again, I see the frame # tag on the rear crossmember.

That means it is not a 23, (23 is behind left front wheel). The first # on the # tag looks like an 8, 8xxxxx. I'm thinking 1922.

JB

Guest d3500ram

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have added some more photos with comments. Will try to get a better photo of the tag, but it is hard to read even in the best of light. The other thread I posted about the differential is from a Buick (at least the fasteners are imprinted with the name.) So I guess I can assume these two items are from the same vehicle.

Is there any resource of a drawing or photo of what the chassis components are and how they are installed sans the body?

photos:

What is this shaft? It is about located approximately in the middle as seen in photo 276 above.

282:

2mmvlk.jpg

There is a slight crack on the passenger side. it was repaired with a plate inside as shown in the following photo.

286:

rlmc14.jpg

Here is the repair. It is so well done it almost looks like a "factory repair."

288:

2rwxs1d.jpg

This is the part number on the underside of the leaf spring mount (???) on the rear.

290:

530fw3.jpg

This is an underside view of components on the drivers side towards the front.

293:

1zmjcle.jpg

The bolt is the center spring mount. The front of the spring is forward of this mount and

the rear end of the spring is on the axle housing. The 4cyl series uses a different rear

suspension, this style is used only on the 6cyl chassis. You can go to 1929buick.com and

look at several buick reference books, that show pics of the chassis. Even with the crack

this frame is quite useable and the rear end has a lot of good brake parts.

JB

• 4 years later...
Guest d3500ram

UPDATE: I have not been very active and have received a smattering of interests in this, but the items have been picked up by an antique car gear-head who intends to put them to proper use. It took a while to find the right home, but at least they did not wind up in the scrap pile.

I appreciate everyone's input in helping me ID the parts in order to advertise. In the short time here, I did get a chance to wander the forums and photos. Y'all have a neat group here and I wish I had the time to get back to car tinkering again. My hobby interests right now do not include cars anymore.