1920 Premier

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting all the pieces ready for assembly of the engine. Using a few parts from the Connecticut parts car, mostly rod bolts and shims. The new Arias pistons look great, they have already been fitted in the sleeves. Built a stand for the crank and will fit each rod bearing before installation in the engine. Making new gaskets and cutting felt seals.

Still looking for a spring for my clutch:confused: It is a Borg & Beck there is a picture of it earlier in this section.

Took a pile of parts to the Nickel plating shop this week too, I get a little nervous with parts scattered all over the place !

post-54566-143138454681_thumb.jpg

post-54566-14313845469_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138454798_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20Premier
wrong picture (see edit history)

Working on instruments and electrical. Every wire labeled by application and numbered to the location on the Delco combination switch. Looks to me like it was all orange with black tracers, and the plug wires black. Getting ready to ship the instruments off for restoration. My ancestors put 21,373 miles on it before they reitred it. Then they took the tires off for the war effort, my dad remembers that part.

post-54566-143138464545_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138464562_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138464571_thumb.jpg

post-54566-14313846458_thumb.jpg

Chris,

If your looking for a source on the wiring, I've had good luck with Rhode Island Wiring Serice ( Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc. ). They seem to have just about every size and color combination and reasonable prices too.

I too have enjoyed watching the progress your making. Looks like quite the project.

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

www.aerrebuild.com

jason@aerrebuild.com

• 1 month later...

We have been busy with both the wood body and more metal work. The body is coming along very well, hope to have it ready for the aluminum skin soon. Began polishing with my new buffer, never had one before! Kind of fun and a lot of work getting the pieces ready. Started buffing on the packing nut for the water pump and then moved up to the intake manifold.

post-54566-143138502928_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138502938_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138502947_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are making progress! Did not remember how many little pieces needed to be plated. Getting ready for final alignment of the doors. Here are two of the hub caps awaiting nickel plating and their freshly restored emblems with new glass enamel and nickel. The other picture shows the under seat area, on the left and right are tool boxes, they will have metal lids. The middle section is where the magnetic gear shifter goes.

post-54566-143138530485_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138530496_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20Premier
wanted to ! (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post Jonathan. Good to hear from friends that I have met at Hershey. We are making progress on the engine, between farming and kids activities. Finally got the rod bearings where we wanted them. Learned a lot about scraping, blueing and a little plastigauge to see how close we were! The donor chassis from CT came in handy again, donating main bearing shims. We now have the pistons, rods, and crank in. Also put the roller tappets and camshaft in and the head.

post-54566-143138565745_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138565754_thumb.jpg

Guest prs519

I recall there was an article in Car Classics Magazine in the late 60s or early 70s about the

restoration of a 1917 Premier. Someone should have these magazines archived. They were often beautifully illustrated. Probably too old of news to be helpful by now, but thought I would pass that tidbit on.

I recall there was an article in Car Classics Magazine in the late 60s or early 70s about the

restoration of a 1917 Premier. Someone should have these magazines archived. They were often beautifully illustrated. Probably too old of news to be helpful by now, but thought I would pass that tidbit on.

I remember that issue and that article. I probably still have it buried in my stuff since I save everything.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest prs519

Me too, Keiser (we should get together some time for coffee and fantasize about the stuff we rat holed but no longer can find)! HO! Let me know if you get down this way to southeast Idaho. Premier 20 if you will PM your address I will dig and see if I can find this article and pass it on to you.

Perry in Idaho

A friend of mine and his son took their 1951 Buick Special, which they restored together, to the Buick National Meet near Boston this last weekend. Lucky for me they agreed to swing through Connecticut and pickup the rest of the pieces of the CT Premier. Jim also again helped out in making all this possible, thank you again. I thought that it might not ever all get here. Thanks for all the help.

The second picture is what the car looked like over 30 years ago when I first found out about the car. It was not in very good shape then, and even worse now, but well worth all the effort. Wish I would have purchased the car then, better late than never though?

There are some great people that I have met and talked to in this hobby that have helped me with this project.

post-54566-143138598929_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138598934_thumb.jpg

Guest 2moredoors

Great to see that you are progressing so well. Keep up with the news, maybe we will see you in Hershey again this year.

My Connecticut Premier parts arrived yesterday. My friends started their trip by driving to Astoria, OR in their '51 Buick and out onto the beach. They then turned around and hauled the car to MA for the Buick meet, then onto Maine to complete their coast to coast trip. Thank you to them for bringing my parts back.

We are getting closer on the body. A few more adjustments and the skin will fit over the wood again, then the doors.

Lots of work left to do!

post-54566-143138600837_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138600847_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are making progress, it seems slow, but we are moving along. Found a steering wheel at the Bakersfield Pre war meet this last spring. The hub fit another car, but the wood is a perfect match for our Premier hub. Nice to have an original wood wheel. We have also been working on new lug nuts, and a new part for one of the wheels. The body is also getting very close. Still seems like a lot to do. Starter, generator .........

post-54566-143138748334_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138748344_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138748353_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The body is very close to having some color ! Thought every one would like a peek at the under seat area, since most won't see it after the car is done. The middle lid covers the Cutler Hammer magnetic shifter and the two compartments on each side are storage.

Almost done with my wife's 69 Chevrolet pickup paint job! Just in time for Christmas.

post-54566-143138771716_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138771726_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Modern technology at work. 8 different points on the frame measured, plus height, giving us 16 points. A little nervous watching them pull on this 92 year old frame. Was well worth the effort, the body fits much better and so will all the rest of the parts and pieces.

post-54566-143138984195_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

This is a very good thread. I need to re-read the whole thing..again.

I would like to know how you ended up with this family owned car, and how/why you found the other one in CT so many decades ago.

My great grandfather purchased three Premier's. A 1917 as seen in post #62 (serial #1566), a 1920 6-D 7 passenger touring (#6087) and this 1920 2 passenger roadster(#6030). The first two my father never saw, this on has been here since. The Connecticut Premier I learned about in 1979, I was too young to know the significance of the car, too far and too much money for me at the time. Then through this forum a member who was helping with an estate told me about the car, this time I did not hesitate !

• 2 months later...

Thought I should let everyone know that we are still working. Working on the final touches to the body. A new striker that I made, patterned from the original drivers side out of bronze. We now have all the door hardware finished and working. Amazing how many companies that built pieces for this car are still in business. Sargent Lock Company supplied the new locks for the rear compartment doors just like they did in 1920 !post-54566-143141923227_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest Twelveseven

Hi Chris,

I am amazed over what I see. It's an enormous effort you've put into this. Nice to see the progress since I saw it more than two years ago.

I'll drop by here to keep an eye on how it's going.

- The Carpet Rack Assistant -

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I put the index together of all the Car Classics and Car Collector magazines, plus Nostalgic Car and Car Exchange. The index is printed in the back of most Car Collector magazines starting in 1996. The 1918 Premiere story appeared in the April 1970 issue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest mchmotorco

Just found your incredible project online,wish i found it sooner...I can help you with your question...The car from Harrahs ended up in a private collection in New York and is still there.I know the owner and can help you with any requests you have.The car is still like it was, unrestored and to the best of my knowledge, original and complete.If i can help at all Let me know,good luck, John