Finding a Battery

johnfarm

It's time to replace the battery in my '55 Super, and I've decided it's not worth it to me to spend the premium for a reproduction. However, neither Hemmings nor The Bugle seem to have advertisements for a modern maintenance free battery.

The parts manager at my local Buick dealer tried for two weeks, but came up empty on getting one from Delco. I drove about 45 miles to Sears today and lugged a Die-Hard home, only to find that it's about a half inch too wide, and an inch to short. The salesman insists that's what should fit, and indeed it fits into the battery pan, but is too wide for the holddown bracket.

So where else can I find a decent, long lasting replacement battery?

I just bought one for my 55 Buick. Since it's got it's senior G.N. and I can afford the point deduction I'm not giving another dime to the rapacious re-pro battery crooks. I bought a Group 64 battery from NAPA. 50 Month guarantee, no maintenance, $79.95. There are two small glitchs that need to be addressed other wise it's a drop in fit. The battery is one inch shorter than stock so I added two brackets to the hold down bracket to "catch" the battery better. The second is the Neg (grnd) post is to the out board side rather than inboard. I had to install a new ground cable 4" longer. That was it. I also used a hair dryer to heat and remove the labels so now the battery is plain black and very proper looking. Good luck.......Bob

NAPA and other parts stores including Autozone will have a truck/bus battery that the battery hold-down fits exactly, but is little bit taller than the original ( you may have to get longer bolts ). I can get the size number off one of mine if interested.

Willie

John

I am using the group 31 HEAVY-DUTY COMMERCIAL BATTERY listed in the chart that Bhigdog linked. The posts are centered at the ends, but my original battery cable fit fine. One battery that I bought was only available at the time with studs, so I had to buy some terminals (reuseable). That battery is one heavy *&%$#@*&^ and has no cute little handles.

Willie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That battery is one heavy *&%$#@*&^ and has no cute little handles.

</div></div>

I just replaced this exact battery in my 55 Special. I got a "repro cased" gel cell battery from the afformentioned antique battery place. Willie is right, though. I am a strong dude ( I helped Willie take his power steering gear out of his car with the fenders still on). I seriously had trouble lifting this battery out of my car when the new pretty one showed up.

That truck battery does fit perfectly though. I had to extend my battery bolts about an inch, though. I bought a threaded one inch nut (for lack of a better word) that I think is in the hardware section of a home improvement store, and cut the existing bolts, then rethreaded them with a die. Voila, baby, new longer bolts.

BTW, my repro battery cost $275 with shipping. Like Bob, my car is a Senior, but unlike him, I chose to buy the expensive battery AFTER it was judged. Duh.

Mike

I'm grateful for all the suggestions, and will proceed to educate myself some more on the options. Wouldn't you think that GM would be more supportive of the hobby and make replacement batteries - at least for those years where they sold so many cars, like '55 and '56? Then there's Sears, which has batteries for old cars, but in the case of '55/'56 Buicks, is making the wrong size!

John