What mileage are you getting?

Aaron65

Hey all,

Normally this is a stupid question, but my '53 Special with Dynaflow does TERRIBLE on mileage...at least in town. I just filled up and it got 9 MPG!!! It normally does at least 10-11 around town, and up to 20 (!!!) on the highway, but it's been idling a lot while I tune and it dumped about a half gallon on the garage floor when the tank overflowed...any mileage numbers, straight 8 guys???

My 55 got 16 mpg on the way to the Nationals with the AC on. My 63 with a 401 used to get around 12 combined, I haven't checked it with my new carb setup, although it got 95 miles on the first quarter tank, which optimistically means I can go 250 miles on a tank versus 190 plus or minus. I guess we'll see. The 401 takes premium gas, though.

Mike

Guest imported_UncleBiggy

10 MPG in big city driving which I no longer live in such environment. Have had running 49,51(2), 52(3) Roadmasters, plus 1 51 Super never could coax anymore than that,,,the 56R got maybe 12 MPG. An old time Buick mechanic once told me two words>>GAS EATERS.

A former co-worker's 66 Electra which ran so quiet all you could hear was the tires on the road, got 8 MPG on the open highway at 65 MPH.

"City" driving can be highly variable. Key things are time spent with the engine running at red lights, not to mention the many accelerations. Even on the new computer-controlled higher gas mileage cars, sitting in the parking lot just long enough to eat a hamburger, you can see the "Average Fuel Economy" readout drop about .5mpg. On similar new cars, one cold start will drop things up to 1mpg.

If you might want to do a correction factor for the idling time, you might use 30mph divided by minutes to add additional miles to your actual miles traveled, for computing fuel economy. This additional factoring might put the fuel economy in a more realistic orientation.

The earlier fluid coupling and such automatics were not that fuel efficient in town/constant start-stop traffic, but on the open road, when things were "locked-up" pretty much at a constant speed, then they were more acceptable.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Uncle Biggy, Gas Eaters sums it up pretty well! NTX...I agree about the old Dynaflow...10 around town if I'm lucky, 15-20 on the open road...then again, 130 horsepower pushing 4000 pounds is going to equal some big throttle openings! Glad it's not just mine!

Guest imported_UncleBiggy

Probably what shocked me most in the Buick MPG experience was my best friend's (and later mine) '68 GS 400. The car isn't heavy at all compared to the Riviera, and yet with the bone stock mechanicals--10 MPG! No jackrabbit starts or peeling rubber. Road mileage wasn't that great either,,,from Phoenix to LA (390 miles at the time--I-10 wasn't completed quite yet in Arizona) took around 32 gallons one-way.

my 47 Super gets 12 - 14 mpg on the hiway running about 65 - 70.

I just took my 64 Riviera on a long drive and got 13 -15 mpg on the hiway. OF course it gets a lot less around town when I am peeling rubber. It eats premium though.

My 88 Station Wagon would get 17 mpg until the torque converter quit locking up, now it gets 13.

Guest my3buicks

here is a list of my average fuel economy on trips my Buicks have given me,

53 Super 15.8, 57 Century 16.3, 69 Electra 16.9, 67 Special(300) 19.7,

61 skylark 21.2, 72 Centurion 16.1, 72 Centurion # 2 16.3,

Rendezvous AWD 23.9, I keep my tuned up well, but push them on the highway, so I feel the mileage they have all given me has been very good all things considered.