1936 Buick Special - 40 Series.....FINALLY HOME!!!

72Rivi

Guest imported_Thriller

Very nice...welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Buicks.

I really like the styling of the '36s.

It's great to see your little one enjoying the new car as well...get them involved young and they'll stick with you through the hobby.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Rigo:

In one of the photos, I see what's called the body data plate. On it are some numbers that are the Paint Code, and the Trim Code. Those numbers will tell us what the car was like originally. Also, there is a number stamped on the engine and one on a plate on top of the right rail just behnd the battery (I's tough to see.) Those numbers will tell us when the car was made and are sometimes important when you're buying parts, because of Buick's practice of making running engineering changes. If you post these, we can get you information.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Rigo,

Who in Houston is going to do your Engine ?

Hopefully it is Lawrence Whatley as he know these engines like the back of his hand.

If you need any help in Houston, let me know. I have learned who is good and who is not around here.

Also, Our local Buick chapter is hosting the South Central Rogional in Salado Tx (just up the road from you, south ot Temple) on April 13 -15th. The show is Saturday the 14th at Stagecoach Inn. We always have some nice Pre War cars to look at and lots of people to talk to.

Come on up and bring your helper to check out the cars.

Bill,

I was referred to Faerman Automotive in Houston, Texas to do my engine work. But if Mr. Whatley is more knowlegeable in the Buick engines...I can reconsider. Send me some information on him or his number so I can chat with him. I will try to make it out to the Buick meet in Salado, I know where that place it at. Thanks a lot!!

• 2 months later...

Rigo,

I think some of the best pictures are the ones with you #1 helper, "Little Chief". If I remember correctly El Jefe means Chief...if I am wrong, ,let me know. It looks like you are moving right along probably because of all of the help from your assistant or is he the journeyman and you are the apprentice?

Good Luck.

Stevo

"El Jefe" actually means "The Boss", but The Chief is about the same. We are moving along, thanks to the great help the Boss provides me with. I'm sure he'll appreciate the time we have spent together working on the Buick. I'll update my thread with new pictures periodically.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear El Jefe:

I see that things are progressing with you and "El Jefecito" working away. In looking at your photos of the data plates, I can tell that your car was built in Flint (Buick only had 1 plant until 1937) in October 1935. Both the frame number of 2847841 and the body number of 7448 confirm this. I still can't read the trim and color codes for sure, but I think they're trim 246 and paint 40. Can you confirm that I'm reading them right?

About 25 years ago, I made friends with Pat Brooks, who was later president of the BCA. He had a gorgeous 1936 Roadmaster sedan in the dark green color. I can tell you that that dark green makes a great appearing car.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Gene Brink - There is no rust whatsoever on this car...it was kept in dry storage for over 40 years. I am very surprised about this. Most cars I buy are rusted underneath, at the bottom of the doors, and tailpan...but this Buick is gorgeous!!

Dave Corbin - Here are is the info on my plates:

1936 Mod: 40 (Does this mean it's a 40 Series?)

Style No: 36-4419 (What does the 4419 mean?)

Body No: 7448

Trim No: 246

Paint No: 428

If you can help with any info you have with these numbers, I would greatly appreciate it Dave.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear El Jefe:

Model 41 is a Special 4 door sedan. That style number of 36-4419 tells you the same thing, except that's "Fisher Body-speak" and 1936 Model 41 is "Buick-speak". I think I already covered the body number as being an October 1935 body and the frame number is an October 1935 frame number. The other numbers for paint and trim are numbers used in 1936, but I'm going to need a couple of days to check them. Other guys are welcome to jump in on those, too.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear El Jefe:

Paint code 428 is "Trouville Blue", wheel stripe is "Medium Cream".

Regards, Dave Corbin