1931 Cadillac V8

31caddy

I'm searching for any information someone can give me on 1931 Cadillac v8, three window coupes. I recently purchasd one at a car show and was told that it was one of 125 cars made for the golf tournament of 1931 -- it has the golf door. i have been looking and cannot find anything on it. Did i get screwed?

Looks like a solid, complete car to me and probably a decent price for such an animal. It appears that someone already did some carburetor work on it, so let us know how it is mechanically--I presume it runs. And the top is still present, hopefully the wood in the body is still in good condition too. A good find!

I do think that perhaps the seller was giving you a line about the golf tournament special edition nonsense, however. Golf tournament "special editions" for advertising are a relatively new thing in the sponsorship world, and probably not something GM was doing in Depression-addled 1931. Many 2-door luxury brands had golf doors in their bodies and it is not at all uncommon to see them on cars of this vintage. I think it is unlikely that this car was specially built for any specific event or is any kind of "limited edition" thing. By definition, all Classics from this era are "limited." I wouldn't concern myself too much with the car's rarity; no matter how many they built originally, there can't be many left today!

I'd also try the Cadillac-LaSalle Club website ( http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org ) and post a link to those photos <span style="font-weight: bold">55 Chevy</span> posted. If I had to guess, it probably has a body by Fisher that was a "standard" Cadillac body that year, although customers could probably get just about any combination of colors, interiors and top fabrics they wanted, so the cars weren't exactly "off the rack" in specification. They should also be able to direct you to some reliable production numbers and specifications on the car.

From the excellent Cadillac Database http://www.car-nection.com/yann it appears that the V8 2-door coupe was the least-expensive Cadillac model in 1931, though I can't find production numbers specific to that model. Cadillac built about 10,500 V8 models in 1931, so as the lowest-priced car, I'd figure the 2/4 passenger coupe to have one of the larger production numbers, possibly second only to the 4-door sedan. Here's some more info:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In their first issue for 1931, Automobile Topics said that the LaSalle and Cadillac Eights were at their lowest prices in the last twelve years. The Cadillac organization was offering new body stylings throughout its four lines, all suggesting greater fleetness. The Cadillac and LaSalle V8 had been refined and restyled to the dictates of a new year and the V16 had returned to confirm its claim as the aristocrat of motordom. Sixty-three body styles revealing the choicest artistry of Fisher and Fleetwood craftsmen comprised the four lines, which ranged in price from $2195 for the cheapest LaSalle to $15000 for the most expensive V16 (LaSalle range: 2195-3245. Cadillac V8 range: $2695-3795. Cadillac V12 range: $3795-4895. Cadillac V16 range: $5350-15000). Bodies if the V8 and V12 were lower and more graceful. The LaSalle V8 and the Cadillac V16 adhered closely to the contours which had made them signally popular. Performance of both the LaSalle and the Cadillac Eights had been notably improved. The LaSalle engine had been enlarged, while the weight of the Cadillac engine had been reduced, thus heightening the ratio of horsepower to weight in both cars, with a resultant increase in the motoring satisfaction which they rendered. The V8 Series "355" was all new.

Fisher "Custom" on 134" wheel base V8 chassis: 2-passenger Coupe ($2695), 4480lbs</div></div>

I think you made a good purchase on a solid, desireable full Classic. It'll take a lot of time and money to restore it, but it will also be a very rewarding project and you'll end up with a great driving Cadillac. Enjoy and happy motoring!

Can't comment on the golf connection, but I think you got a lot of car for the money. As for "rare," there are a fair number of Cadillac coupes around -- the most popular colors seem to be a combination of tan and cream, or maroon body and black fenders. They are great-driving cars, and at the price you paid, your car is well worth restoring. The carburetor appears to be wrong -- this car should have an updraft unit. Otherwise, your car appears to be pretty complete. I think you made a good purchase if your purpose is to restore a full classic car.

Looks like a decent enough 31 and fairly complete. I would say a good value for money. In addition to the updraft carb, there should be a "carb. cover" that covers manifold cross over, a "gooseneck for air cleaner, an air cleaner and an air cleaner cover mounted on top of ail cleaner, and a vacumn tank system to supply fuel. Heads should have spark plug covers that make it look quasi overhead valve (you see studs coming out of head w/large turned knobs on them). Top looks vinyl covered or something, but all I have seen are sheet metal (so this could be very rare ?) All Coupes and convertible 31's had golf doors. Outside of the v-16 and a couple of V-12 cars, most all cars are fairly the same, though 31 Indy pace car cars may be something to look into for "specials.".

JMM

yeah we're just tryin to get as much info as possible and have it restored. I dont' k now much about it-- it says something on the tags under the engine about JOb number and body number - -i can find the job number and things about that but nothing about body number 533? anyone have any info on that one? Tryin to also find the original colors -- we were told it was nicknamed the bumble bee since it was supposedly black with yellow wheels? Thats why they made 125 total of these but we can't find anything about it.

I'm almost certain body number 533 is the sequence number. Your car is either the 533rd 2-door coupe built in 1931 or the 533rd body of any sort built by Fisher in 1931. GM often used the nomenclature "style number" to identify the type of body with the body number being just a sequence number.

My Packard buddy says he remembers seeing this car drive around the area, Midland City, Dothan & Ozark Alabama, it was owned by what he called Gypsies in Midland City, they parked it in a barn, passed away, and the barn eventually fell in on it. I will ask him if he remembers the original color.

I don't think there is such a thing as a wood kit for one of these, there aren't enough of them left to make it economically viable to go through the trouble to make a kit. You'll have to hand make any wood pieces that are deteriorated. Through the Cadillac/LaSalle Club & CCCA you'll meet other people with 1930 - 1931 Cadillacs who can point you to who makes what. When you join, just look through the membership directory & look for someone who has several 1930 - 1931 Cadillacs. Give him call & I'm sure he'll be willing to help you. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but they did make enough 30 -31 Cadillacs that I wouldn't be surprised if there's another one near you that you could go look at too.

If this car has a 134" wheelbase it is a Series 355. Not particularly rare as Classics go but still lot of car. We've worked on these cars and even though I'm a dyed in the wool Packard guy you can't beat an early Cadillac for dependability and parts availability. A show restoration on this car would likely set you back 75-125 thou if it needs all of the wood replaced, which it likely does. Nice find. Was the guy smiling when he told you it was a golf tournament special?

The 355 was almost identical engine-wise to the previous 353, so is covered in the Radco tune-up data for 1925-30 Cadillacs I have given access to on a thus-titled thread on this forum. Most important thing you need that I have never seen elsewhere in such good detail is the instructions for the updraft carb. Curiously, according to National Service Manual, the valve head diameters were reduced by about 1/16" and 1/8", and valve open periods shortened by a degree each end. This is obviously not the whole story, because the cam profiles may have also been changed, and port size also; but it is rather unexpected to find indication that they may have reduced the performance ever so slightly on the next year's model.

Ivan Saxton

If you got a quote of 50 grand for a 99 point restoration on a '31 Cadillac you must be dealing with a restorer who (A) works out of his garage for $8 hour or (B) is so inexperienced that he has no idea how many hours labor it takes to actually restore a car. Do the math...tires and tubes, likely $700, rebuild the engine, $4500 minimum, cost of materials just to paint the thing, maybe $1500, labor to replace the wood at least $4500, chrome maybe $6000, the list goes on and on. Interior? Carpet? Dash refinishing? Wiring harness? Exhaust system? Running boards? You would certainly be looking at a minimum of 1000-1500 hours labor to do any kind of a quality restoration on virtually any Classic. All I'm saying is just be careful what you commit to and investigate the true cost of restoration before you let someone take your car apart. A significant part of our business is finishing restorations for folks who were fed a line by someone who said they could do it cheaply and realized after they had taken the car apart that they were in over their heads. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. Just be careful!

If anything, you're being conservative on the costs. I'd guess $5,000 for paint and related materials alone, not including labor. And $15,000 for chrome (it adds up fast these days).

It's always cheaper to buy a restored car.

But the advantage of performing (or commissioning) a restoration yourself is that you get everything precisely the way you want it, and you know what was done.

Guest wombvette

The original build sheet will be available from the Cadillac Historical Archives. Go to the CLC website and click on Authenticate your car. There are no published production figures that I know of for each body style. But you can make a good guess, by using the total production of the 355A series (10,717), and the body number. The body number is the sequence number of that particular style, so if yours is the 5XX body and the serial number, in this case the engine number, is say about mid production, you would expect about twice that number were produced. The golf club door deal is a joke.

Ask for references - call the guy and talk to the guy he sent you photos on.

Nobody up to now has touched on the fact that ANY 1931 cadillac is rare and desirable, some more then others true, but what difference does it really make to be one of 125. One of's always make me wonder why people buy old cars in the 1st place. Did you in fact buy it as an investment? Or for driving pleasure once completed?