1936 Dodge Sedan four door

classicnut

Just acquired a 1936 Dodge four door sedan. Am interested in finding out exactly what type and model it is. Serial # on passenger door jam reads: 4160509, there is a number that is stamped on the firewall that reads: 91216, there is also a number on a plaque on the firewall that reads:D292690TS, engine number reads P25 405487 there is a diamond symbol before the P25 and a star symbol between the first set of numbers and at the end. Dashboard is intact and from left to right is the headlight knob, radio knobs, then the oil and gas gauges, speedometer which also has floating power and Dodge written on it, then heat and amperage gauges. I've seen all kinds of Dodge Brothers, Touring Sedans, etc.. Would really like to know exactly what to say when someone asks me what kind of car is that (and what parts to look for)? Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me.

Classic Nut

Your car is a model D2 1936 Dodge Brothers sedan. The Touring Sedan would have the hump type trunk on the rear. The Standard Sedan would have the rear mounted exterior spare tire. For more info on the car you can e-mail me at keiser31@charter.net I used to have a 4-door Touring Sedan with dual side-mounts (fender mounted spares). John

Hi,

I'll try and answer the questions that I can. All the models in 1936 were called "D2", not that they didn't have names like sedan, touring sedan, etc, but their official model designation was "D2". When it comes to the 4-door sedan, Dodge just called it "The Sedan" in their sales brochures. The serial numbers (or VIN today) for the 1936 production run started at 4015051, which would put yours in the earlier part of the run. The engine looks like it came out of a 1954 Plymouth. A 1936 Dodge motor would start D2, not P25. This was not an uncommon practice since the old L-heads remained basically unchanged for so many years. Posting a picture of it would help the forum here identify what is original, etc.

Thanks, I will upload a picture hopefully by tomorrow. My car does carry a front mounted spare tire on passenger side and does also have the humpback trunk as far as I know. The trunk looks like a hump. I will try and get the picture tonight.

Thanks!

Guest Rob1960

sorry about that. Here's my 36 dodge 2-door touring.

---------------

I don't think your photo attached. I would really love to see it.

Albert

post-39317-143137910706_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
Guest Bettafisherman

Jack I really like the pictures, I like the air intakes coming out the side! Mine will look original, I have wire wheels for it. Tonight I was working on the wiring.

Thanks!

Guest Bettafisherman

Keiser31 I really like the pictures. I like to see original pictures of cars. My Grandfather had over 200 cars, and I have a ton of pictures of what he owned. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, 37.

You will notice that my 36 has a 37 grill. I didnt like how tall the 36 grill made the car look and the 36 grill I had was not in very good shape..

Thanks for the compliment Fisherman. Thats a 383 with the long rams from an old 413 '300'.

Fun Stuff.

That's good - but how do you tell?

The '37 grill is shorter and wider than the '36 grill. The '37 body is more rounded and "puffier" looking. The '37 has an integral steel roof with no insert. There are no horn covers on the front fenders of the '37. There are a lot of other minor differences, but those are the most telling.

Guest jackbrosnan02

<table border="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left">

</td> <td align="left"> Motorhome </td></tr></tbody></table>

Hi-I had Verdone castings make a new casting of both levers some years ago. They still have the molds and should be able to provide you with a stainless casting of either lever. You'll need to pull out your tubes to make the repair to either lever. Consider replacing both levers while you have the tubes out-the original levers were fairly brittle potmetal.

Martin Lum

1930 Desoto CK owner

Edited by jackbrosnan02 (see edit history)

John, You touched on exactly my thoughts on the grill. Although it in fact the 37 grill bolts right into the 36 shroud, hence they are the same dimentions. It only looks shorter and wider.

I learn something new here every day...thanks, JACK M. Oh...I have not forgotten about your speedo cable.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

G'day "Mudgy"!

Also, the "D5" indication in the T.J. Richards firewall stamp is indicative of the '37. Look around on the front floor pan (I think right hand side) for a Dodge Serial Number Tag and a Series Number plate from the Australian rebuilder also.

If your engine is original the Engine Number (on the left side near the front of the block just below the head and between #1 and #2 cylinders) will start with a "D5" and then go from 1,001 to 294,170. The Serial Numbers on your '37 may be either from 4,530,451 - 4,789,907 (Detroit, MI) or from 9,118,501 - 9,149,360 (Evansville, Indiana).

If you really want to catch some more info on your '37, you should start another thread with a title piece that addresses your '37 in the wording so people with '37's can be attracted to your car's info more directly than buried here in a thread for a '36 Dodge.

Have fun with your car down under!

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

... Mine will look original, I have wire wheels for it. ...

Hi Betta!

If you really are going to "look original", the wire wheels will be wrong. They only used the 14 spoke steel artillery style wheel in either full enamel paint or (very rarely) chrome spokes and enamel paint for '36.

Hope you do a full restoration on that nice looking, more rare, "'36 coupe" than the (heaven forbid) "resto rod" angle. (As you can tell, I am all about originality when at all possible! Sorry "Jack M"!)

Wire wheels would be too "old" for that model car, and sometimes a pain to keep balanced.

Post some bigger photos when you get time! Have fun!

1936 D2, I dont take offence. My 36 (in my opinion) was not restorable when I got it. Some one had cut it up and shoved it behind the barn when they couldnt figure out what to do next. It had NO suspension. I woud love to own another one that is original.

35 years ago when I traded into it there was not as much stigma against hot rodders that there is now.

I say , As long as you are having fun what else matters.

Guest Bettafisherman

1936 D2,

Do you know what kind of grill the 1936 coupes have? I don't have one...

Here are some pictures of recent things I've done. I have wired the steering column, replaced the steering wheel, put the back fenders on and brake lights. I still have to put in the gas tank, engine and trans. I want to keep the car all original, but I have a ford V8 from the 70s going in it. That is what I got with the car. Merry Christmas everyone!

1936 D2,

Here are some pictures of recent things I've done. I have wired the steering column, replaced the steering wheel, put the back fenders on and brake lights. I still have to put in the gas tank, engine and trans. I want to keep the car all original, but I have a ford V8 from the 70s going in it. That is what I got with the car. Merry Christmas everyone!

Same as the sedans...

post-37352-143138384124_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138384126_thumb.jpg

1936 D2,

"keiser31 has pegged the grille for you. Good photo examples. (BTW...good luck finding one!) :(

Keeping the car all original is an admirable thought but the above "bold" is a contradiction. If you haven't messed with the motor mounts and engine space yet, I am sure, given a rather short period of time, you could come up with a nice straight 6 Chrysler Product engine and transmission that would drop right in there. That engine (size and style) was used for many years on Chrysler, Dodge DeSoto and Plymouth products. If you can't find a '36 Dodge D2 engine specifically in your area, I am sure you can locate one of the others from about '34 through maybe '39. Almost any of those would be a far sight better than a modern "FORD" V8! :eek:

Just my opinion! Also, the photos you mentioned in your last post did not come through.

Have fun with your project.

OMG....not another "off brand" engine in a MoPar?!?! PLEASE reconsider and think about a MoPar 6 or 8 engine. The mention of the Ford engine in a MoPar is as bad as putting a 350 SBC (small block Chevy) in it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Bettafisherman

Hey everyone thanks for the help with the grill. For the engine, thats what I have. The car was already modified for the V8 and the engine and its transmission was recently restored, and since im short on money, it will just have to do for now. I'll post some pictures tonight. Thanks!

There is 28 Victory Six on Portland Craigs list (or was) That has a Ford engine in it. The seller stated that Henry and the Dodge brothers were in cahoots of some sort and niether would be here now if not for the other. He stated that the Ford motor was in line with being correct for what he was up to.

Never heard that one before.

There is 28 Victory Six on Portland Craigs list (or was) That has a Ford engine in it. The seller stated that Henry and the Dodge brothers were in cahoots of some sort and niether would be here now if not for the other. He stated that the Ford motor was in line with being correct for what he was up to.

Never heard that one before.

Dodge Brothers DID make parts for Ford, but that is about the limit of the "cahoots", I think.