High speed gears

scott12180

Hi all,

Has anyone out there undertaken the manufacture of high speed ring and pinion gears for pre-war Buicks (ie: 1938) ? I suppose these would be the same ratio as Buick Century gears. If no one has, it would be a good project. I would imagine there to be a good market for these. Others have done this with much success, such as Phil Bray's high speed gears for Packards.

--Scott

Has anybody put an overdrive on a prewar Buick? Gear Vendors has an overdrive that could be put on a torque tube rear end. You have to cut the tube and "spice" the overdrive in. A lot of machining but an overdrive should be better than a higher rear end. See: http://www.gearvendors.com/custom.html

There must be very many Buick owner wanting to have an over drive. If we go togeter we may motivate them to make a kit for adding an overdrive to a torque tube.

Jan

That's my point. There are a whole lot of 1930's Buick owners out there, and from what I can tell just about all of these cars would certainly benefit from an overdrive.

I don't own a Buick just yet --- been looking for a good 1938 for a while now.

Isn't there a Buick Club that could be "mobilized" to initiate a national project such as this? I'm sure Gear Vendors would be willing to work with a club on a large number of overdrive kits.

Overdrives are great. I have one on a 1926 Packard (non-torque tube) and wouldn't be able to drive the car with a fraction of the enjoyment I get with the overdrive.

--Scott

Not only 1930's Buicks need an overdrive. There are many more post war Buicks with torque tubes. It will not be possible to make a kit for all models but drawings and instructions could be produces for the different models.

Jan

Looking at the gearvendors site provided by GUFFIN it appears overdrives are already available for torque tube drive cars, if you can afford the $'s.

I recall someone advertising high speed gears for several early 30's models in the Buick Bugle. The same vendor was also seeking expressions of interest to have enough numbers to manufacture high speed gears for 1934/35 series 40 Buicks, I was interested but apparently the numbers weren't enough to make the exercise affordable.

I think the vendor may have been joe Krepps?

I guess the problem is many of us would like to increase highway speed and decrease fuel consumption with a set of higher speed gears but with so many different models ( meaning different gears for most ) it is just not economical to have a small run of each manufactured.

Guest Faust

I am not sure that "high speed gears" are the answer. It means sacrificing low speed "grunt". I think the auto manufacturers have always recognized this and that is the reason for two speed rear ends and overdrives. I think that the concentration should be on overdrives. It seems to me that this has been accomplished before, didn't pre '55 Chevys have a torque tube and overdrive?

The Buick engine has enough torque that lower gears do not cause a problem. My 1940 came with a 4,4 axle, and they had a 3.9 as an option. I now run a 3.4, and there is no problem at lower speeda, and it is now easily driven at turnpike speeds with no trouble.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Scott:

For everyone's info, the 1938 Buick self shifter cars had a 3.615 rear end in them (47/13). My 2 door model 48 will cruise at 70+ easily. Finding that set of gears might be difficult, but a pilot for measurements might be around. I would think it would fit some earlier and later Buicks. In regards to low end torque, I would think that there's plenty. My 39 Roadmaster with the 320 will run in high from 6 mph up.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how many units would need to be ordered before Joe Krepps would arrange manufacture?

Specifically, I'm interested in a high speed gear set for 1934/35 series 40 Buick. There are a number of series 40 owners in Australia who would also be interested but our numbers would never be enough, so how many of you in the US would be keen to purchase a set if orders were taken for that model?

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart,

As you know I have asked this question many times. There must be dozens of 34/35 8/40 owners in USA that would love a high speed rear end. Come on guys let's hear from you. If enough interest is shown then they could be made.

I am interested in a solution for my 1938 40 series. I have run it up to about 60 - 62 but wouldn't want to stay there. My current gearing is the stock 4.40:1 and it seems quite happy around 45 mph. Anything beyond 55 is a bit scary. I am amazed at folks who seem able to do 60 - 65 with their Specials - mine must not be quite up to factory standards, I guess!

To me, splicing in an overdrive would be more effort than it's worth. If overdrive had been a factory offering, that would be a different story.

JEFF

Yours is an easier solution than those with 34/35 8/40's. Easier because I believe that the '38 Century ( and maybe later years?)diff centre will bolt straight in and will give you a much higher top end speed. Don't know the exact ratio or extra mph but I have been told that 38 special with century gears will cruise at 60mph with ease. Someone else with more knowledge on this changeover may wish to comment here. Of course the downside is finding a good set of Century gears but they will still be out there you just have to ask!

Getting back to 34/34 840's...............does anyone have any further suggestions about gettting these gears manufactured?