Road Wheels

bhclark

Can anyone explain the difference between the mid '60s road wheels(for, say a '65 wildcat) and the road wheels from '71-'72?

The bolt pattern and center hole appear the same, but I am told the "offset" is different?

What does that mean and will the 71-72 wheels fit the '65?

Thanks!

The offset is the distance from the mounting surface of the center of the wheel to the outside edge of the tire rim. To the uninformed, you cannot tell the difference in the wheels. But this difference is there just the same. Here are a few differences. The earliest rims ( 63/64) did not have black paint inbetween the chrome spokes, it was grey or Argent colored. in 67, the rims were different on Disc Brake cars. But as I understand it , by 68 all the chrome wheels fit either the disc brakes or the drum brakes.

Your 71/2 rims ought to fit the 65. The bolt pattern is the same but you should put the rim ( minus tire) up to the drum and try to bolt it down. You may find the mount surface does not lay flat on the brake drum. If not it is because there is a ring welded to the rim inside the cone shaped area in the center. This ring is welded for the offset and while it can be removed, it is a shame to do so. Perhaps if your rims are in good shape you can find someone to trade off for the right ones and not disturb that ring. At one point in the last 3 years the BCA Bugle had an excellent article on the rims and how to tell one year from the next. Can't remember which issue. Anyone else remember that?

Seems like there were also some stamp codes listed in those articles, plus the correct center caps to use with each model year's particular models.

The difference in the disc brake wheels might not be evident to the naked eye, but the difference is in the inner contour of the rim, to clear the disc brake caliper. Putting the two wheels side by side, the difference would be readily apparent, but if you are just looking at them, you might miss the differences.

There are also some differences in the height of the center "peak" of the wheel. Again, you might miss the differences if you didn't have the two wheels side by side, but there's about a 1/2" difference . . . which ALSO affects the spokes' curve toward that center peak of the wheel. This particular difference might also relate to whether or not the wheel is for a big car or an intermediate Skylark, but I'm not sure about that.

Key point is that although they might "look all the same", there are really more little and distinct differences from year to year that make them different from each other. For the record, the Chevrolet Rally Wheels are the same way--those used on the Corvettes are basically "zero offset" whereas the ones used on the Monte Carlos and Camaros and Impalas had a different offset, more inline with their normal offset, even for the same rim width.

To talk about "offset", which (as stated) is the + or - distance of the wheel's mounting surface (on the inside of the wheel) from the actual centerline of the wheel rim, might be a little confusing. "Backspacing" is a term that is more widely used, but can also relate to "offset" somewhat. Backspacing is something that you can easily measure also--just remember that you only measure to the vertical step of the rim, the step where the bead mounts, rather than to the physical outside of that outer rim lip . . . so that you don't get figures that are not "in spec". Many of the aftermarket wheel catalogs show how to measure "backspacing" dimensions.

Wheel "offset" can be somewhat affected by the stated rim width (which affects where the centerline of the rim is with respect to the mounting pad of the wheel). The "backspacing" dimension is much more affected by wheel rim width differences, as you typically have to mention BOTH dimensions to fully describe the wheel you might need.

Hope this helps,

NTX5467

John,

The '67/'68 Disc brake rallye wheels looked like the chevy style wheel except it had a Buick center cap. I have attached a photo of the '68 wheel options. You can see in the note (*) that the chrome plated wheel was only available with drum brakes. The "V6" ralley wheel could be ordered with drum or disc brakes and they are quite rare to see or find these days.

wheeloptions.jpg[/image]

Guest my3buicks

The rallye wheel was not available as a stand alone option in 67 - but was standard on disc brake cars, also of course used on the GS340 with or without disc brakes.

It's been several years since I looked at the Chevy version of the illustrated "V6" wheel. They were 14" wheels with either 5.5" or 6.0" rim widths (I'm thinking 5.5") and were on '67(?) Impalas with disc brakes. The center cap in the illustration, with the Buick emblem in the middle, is commonly referred to as "disc brake center caps" in the Chevy world (the center has "Disc Brake" imprinted on it). They were quite rare for a while, but are now in repro as Chevy caps.

Finding them was a chore, too, as you kind of had to read between the lines in the GM/Chevy parts catalog listings to find them. Not to mention the multi-piece situation! Polished stainless steel base, 4 particular part number hex head screws, center cap "dome"--just to do one wheel. The "dome" would be specific to the car line using it (i.e., Chevy, Buick) while the other parts would be the same for the different car lines.

As I recall, that particular center cap is cataloged as a two-piece cap, with the center dome being attached to the base piece with four hex head screws. Repros are sold as an assembly, as from Wheel Vintiques and other similar vendors.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

Am I correct that the dish on the Chevys is shiney? Buick center caps had a frosted/brushed look in the dish part - also GS & Specials had the tr--shield and Skylark had the Bird.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm liking those 69's more each day!!!

JD </div></div>

me too smile.gif

The Buick V6 cap has a "brushed" finished where the chevy is polished. The brushed "dish" part of the center is not currently being reproduced since it was a "Buick" only feature and there is not a big demand for reproductions.

In '68 you could order the "V6" wheels without disc brakes so that must have changed from '67.

Wish I knew more about big car wheels so I could help with original question.

Guest my3buicks

This is from James D Brothers article in the Bugle on Buick Wheels:

The 2nd type was offered only on the 1965 Wildcat & Riv, this design was unique to 65. It can be also used for earlier years if the register ring and spot welds are removed. This design is the same as the 1st but a register ring was spot welded into the hub because of the wheel hub diameter change in 1965 from 3 1/2 inches to 2 3/4 inches. This wheel has a 2 inch center cap mounting hole. This wheel can be used on full sized cars without dic brakes 1966-1970. Rim code Unistyle

This super araticle on wheels was a 2 part feature in June 2002 and August 2002. Maybe someone could figure out how to post the information/articles. Back issues are always available from the Greater Pittsburgh Area Chapter.

http://www.buickclub.org/GreaterPittsburgh/

Thanks for the Article.....That clears things up for me tremendously!

Thanks Ted for the offer.

I will not be in Milford tonight, but I will definitely be in Sharonville on Sunday.

I got confirmation from the chamber that they are going to hold it this Sunday rain or shine.

The "Chevy" dish is polished, but like many OEM polished metals, you can see the polishing abrasive "marks" in the metal (when you get the light just right and up close). I suspect that you could obtain a "brushed" appearance with the correct application of steel wool or ScotchBrite (a fine grade, possibly "red"?) with the cap's "dish or dome" mounted on a wheel and spun (minus the ornament). Seeing a "real" OEM Buick item could be a guide in how to make the "altered" repro stainless piece should look.

Just some thoughts.

NTX5467