Here's a WILD ONE! (ebay)

Guest bchevy

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Boy!!!! Talk about getting your pannies in uproar! I'am almost afraid to ask why an Opel isn't a buick? Tom

It is very simple, and based entirely in fact. Buick did not make Opels. They were imported from Germany, and merely sold at Buick dealerships. That does not make an Opel become a Buick, just because they were sold at the same dealer. This section is for BUICK only. Any post relating to an Opel or Opel parts belongs in a different section.

Guest John Chapman

Buick Dr.

Beyond being sold at Buick dealerships, they were clearly marketed as "Buick Opel" and "Opel by Buick". Check the period marketing materials. Disenfranchising the Opel folks simply because the cars were built in Germany makes as much sense as doing the same to the McLaughlin owners. It's all about the cars related to Buick, not about an overly rigid adherance to Flint-based engineering.

Cheers,

JMC

Point taken. But I have a valid counterpoint to make, with the next paragraph taken directly from the top of the BCA home web page at www.buickclub.org:

Welcome to the Buick Club of America website. The BCA is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of automobiles built by the Buick Motor Division of General Motors Corporation -- Detroit, Michigan, USA.

There is a defining word in there, it is "built". It is excluding cars that are not built by Buick. Opel was never built by Buick. The BCA does not recognize Opel, and implcitly excludes Opel with that statement at the top of their webpage. If the BCA home page is stating that, and has no mention of Opel anywhere on their home page, or here at this site either for that matter (which the BCA site redirects someone to), then the obvious impression is that what is meant by that statement is cars manufactured (built) by Buick in Michigan, in the USA, and not any cars that are imported. I am not a member of the BCA. You are a member of an organization that publicly excludes Opel on its website. I am sure you can tell that I am biased, or prejudiced against Opel. I am only for real true Buicks, built by Buick Motor Division here in this country and actually had Buick emblems, and powered by a Buick engine. I am certain that there is less than 1 % of people coming to this particular section of this website that are looking for an Opel or Opel parts, or that have either for sale. The classic Buick community has generally rejected Opel, as I have, and as Buick finally did when they realized their mistake. You typically do not see any Opel at a Buick car show, or parts for them at a Buick swap meet. There really isn't a big interest in Opels here in the USA, and there is not any noteable interest in Opel here at this site. Opel is definitely disenfranchised from Buick, and has been for over 2 decades. Both corporately, and figuratively. That is my counterpoint. I am sure that most classic Buick enthusiasts share my feelings about the Opels that Buick imported. I would like to see replies from some of them.

Cheers.

Guest bchevy

WOW, I didn't mean to start anything here with this, just trying to get the word out on a friends car.

For the record, I didn't call it a Buick. grin.gif

Since the Buick Doctor asked....

I'm a BCA member since the 70's and my main interest is full size models from 53-66, especially Rivieras and Wildcats. I for one welcome the Opel posting on this site. The connection between Buick and Opel is "close enough", and I have admired the GT styling from the day it was introduced. In my mind allowing the post on this site and allowing Opels to participate in BCA events are 2 different issues, neither of which raise my blood pressure!

John

Guest Dynaflo2

As a side note, Opel has not been completey kicked to the curb by GM, at least not as recently as the Cadillac Cetera ("The Caddy that zigs."). It was an Opel product badged and marketed as a Caddy. So I was told by a pal that owned one.

I must be off...

Guest my3buicks

Nor has Opel been kicked to the curb by the BCA - the statement earlier that the BCA does not recognize Opel does after my research appear to be not true. It will, be placed on the agenda for the Rochester BCA board meeting for discussion and a final ruling eventually. From all I can find out, this has beein discussed but never ruled on. I believe there is an Opel registered for judging at Rochester this year. I would like to see Opel come aboard as a possible division of the BCA with all the same benefits as any other Buick or BCA member.

Guest bchevy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nor has Opel been kicked to the curb by the BCA - the statement earlier that the BCA does not recognize Opel does after my research appear to be not true. It will, be placed on the agenda for the Rochester BCA board meeting for discussion and a final ruling eventually. From all I can find out, this has beein discussed but never ruled on. I believe there is an Opel registered for judging at Rochester this year. I would like to see Opel come aboard as a possible division of the BCA with all the same benefits as any other Buick or BCA member. </div></div>

TWO THUMBS UP! The whole hobby needs more thinking like this. I would put in a thumbs up Graemlin here but don't see one.

Keith,

I concur. And I almost bought one about three years ago, but the owner had just put on a metallic paint and special scheme, which he thought brought up the value of the car, but not in my mind. I kep an eye out for another.

And to answer the other question someone raised, the Caddy Catera was an upscale Opel. I also recall someone writing on one of these forums that the Pontiac coupe or roadster was to be sold in Europe as an Opel.

Just more cross pollination, which I think is a good thing.

John

TWO THUMBS UP! The whole hobby needs more thinking like this. I would put in a thumbs up Graemlin here but don't see one. [/

Did you say "GREMLIN"????? I remember them but be careful thats opening a whole new can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HA blush.gif

Guest bchevy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

TWO THUMBS UP! The whole hobby needs more thinking like this. I would put in a thumbs up Graemlin here but don't see one. [/

Did you say "GREMLIN"????? I remember them but be careful thats opening a whole new can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HA blush.gif </div></div>

Yep, I can say it, and spell it both.

Look at how it's spelled when you reply: <span style="font-weight: bold">"Instant Graemlins"</span>

it weren't ME

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you say "GREMLIN"????? I remember them but be careful thats opening a whole new can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HA blush.gif </div></div>

Ah...to have a Gremlin X with the 304 V8 would be a lot of fun...it would give a lot of more established quick cars a surprising run for their money...then again, a Hornet SC/360 would be nice too...or an SC/Rambler...Rebel Machine.... My first car was a Javelin AMX - sold to be able to afford the Wildcat - I still have a soft spot for some of those unique AMC machines.