"Toybox" trailer project (2)

Barry Wolk

Update 2-19-2006

My trusty 1976 Craftsman 10" radial arm saw came in real handy cutting the ramps. Three passes with an 80-tooth carbide blade made clean work of it. After much thought and mock up I decided to make the ramps a little more equal in length. The section that attaches to trailer is 4 1/2 feet and the flipper is 3 1/2 feet.

340096_433_full.jpg

340096_434_full.jpg

The full weight of the spare and extended ramps took 10 full turns of the springs. It took only 2 full turns to suspend the shortened ramps. The spare must weigh more than I thought.

340096_435_full.jpg

I'm going to need an idler pully similar to this mock-up to keep the wire rope from rubbing on the arch support.

340096_436_full.jpg

The movement of the ramp was restricted by the length of the hinges so I created a floor pocket for them to rest in during transport. This gave me the additional travel necessary to tuck the ramps way into the trailer.

340096_437_full.jpg

Creating the 1/2" deep by 1" pocket moved the top of the ramps inward by 10" giving me all the clearance I need for the upper clamshell door. This pocket will be lined with stainless.

340096_438_full.jpg

I don't really but found them on the website you referenced as a distributor and picked them because they are half way close to me. Without knowing where Barry is I didn't know where to look for a closer distributor to him.

Ain't this internet thing just nifty? wink.gif It's amazing what you can find. grin.gif

Here are some places in your area but you might want to check my note at the bottom of this post

CORROSION FLUID PRODUCTS CORP.

1850 Bay City Road

Midland, MI 48642

Brands: Atomac, Automax, Durco, Noble Alloy, Worcester Controls

Phone: 989-496-2600

Fax: 989-496-2960

Email: rsackett@corrosionfluid.com

4475 Airwest Dr., S.E.

Kentwood, MI 49512

Phone: 616-554-9100

Fax: 616-554-9669

Email: rdingman@corrosionfluid.com

24450 Indoplex Circle

P. O. Box 337 (48332)

Farmington Hills, MI 48335-2526

Phone: 248-478-0100

Fax: 248-478-8970

Email: jandronaco@corrosionfluid.com

FLOWSERVE SALES OFFICE

11400 N. E. 30th Ave.

Vancouver, WA 98686

Brands: Atomac, Automax, Durco, McCANNA/MARPAC, Noble Alloy, Vogt, Worcester Controls

Phone: 360-546-5900

Fax: 360-546-5901

Email: mshaw@flowserve.com

And from the email address on this last one it looks like our buddy, Mark works here. smile.gif Might need to stick with him.

Good Morning Barry,

Since now we know Mark works for Flowserve do you still need me to find out who the rep we use here at work or has Mark given you a contact name?

You sure have a mind for detail. I like watching your hauler come along here. Thanks for sharing.

You may want to make a jig of the vehicle height and length and try rolling it off the trailer. My guess is that you will have to really tilt the trailer back big time and still not keep the car bumper from hitting the ground with the two piece ramp set up. My guess is the ramp that attachés to the trailer will need to be much longer.

My trailer is 12" off the ground and on occasion I need to use wood under the first set of wheels out of the trailer to keep the bumper from scraping.

No I actually did read that but I don't believe that 5% will even be close to what you need to get a vehicle out without scraping a bumper. The longer the ramp the better. I have had issues with scraping the ground and my trailer is 12" off the ground, with the front tilted much higher then 5% and a 6 1/2' straight ramp. I myself would make a jig with 2 bicycle wheels and have it as close to your Lincoln in height and length as possible and give it a try. Just imagine the frustration of getting this beauty done and having a problem like that.

The now two piece design will make the vehicle come down the ramp at a much steeper angle.

Good luck.

Barry,

Here is the REP that we use from ENPRO (Flowserve). Tell him that you were referred to them by UOP LLC in Des Plaines.

ENPRO

Eric Cook

121 S. Lombard Road

Addison, IL 60101-3084

tel 630.629.3504 *121

You missed the point. Look at the picture above. See the ramps? They are on the same plane as the trailer bed whe the trailer is tipped up 5° in the front. The ramps are split so that they will fold into the trailer (see drawings in first post). They will be hinged on the bottom of the split so the ramps will be straight when folded out. The picture I posted was just meant to represent the propostions of the split, not the angles.

Barry,

Excellent, just let me know if you want to source Automax actuators. I have a whole list of distributors, and who knows, somebody may owe me a favor.

I just started adapting my old open car trailer to become a "convertable" enclosed trailer. I will make a new post when I get a little farther along.

Mark Shaw

Vancouver, WA.

Barry,

Just like a convertible car;.... you can put the top down! I have different sized sedans and open touring cars that I towed in my big heavy enclosed trailer. After outfitting my truck with mirror extensions to see down the sides, and paying for lots of extra fuel to pull that big "air brake" down the road, I wondered why I had to use such a tall wide trailer. I still had my older open trailer that towed my sedans just fine, but it didn't protect the open cars from the elements (both criminal and weather related).

I realized that I had the big trailer just so I could drive my cars into it and walk out through a door. Thats when I decided to build a convertible trailer that can be adjusted to fit the height of each car. This should significantly reduce fuel consumption for the tow vehicle and it can still be converted to an open trailer to haul other stuff.

I plan to winch the cars in and out just like your "Toybox" trailer.

Mark Shaw

Vancouver, Wa.

I've enjoyed watching Barry build his trailer. I think he has some really neat concepts in that trailer. I can't wait for him to finish it.

Your project is the one that really sparks my interest as I've thought about doing something along that line to my open trailer, more so for using it to haul things other than my car(s).

Thanks Novaman.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Large aluminum hinge making with woodworking tools 101</span>

I needed to fabricate two 14" x 3" hinges for the trailer ramps. The pivot for the hinge will be under the ramp so the weight of the car will pinch the hinge closed.

I got quotes from two local fabricators and $75.00 in material turned into $400.00 without welding. I decided to give the trusty old Craftsman radial arm saw a go at fabricating them myself. Aluminum-specific 80-tooth carbide blades cut aluminum like a hot knife through butter.

340096_445_full.jpg

Since I recently squared up the radial arm saw to cut the ramps I used it to cut the 1/2" x 3" bar stock to length. Then I cut the 1/4" wall tubing to 1 7/8". This length allowed for the installation of a 1/8" thick machine spacer in-between each hinge segment. This spacer will be replaced with a nylon washer after welding.

340096_446_full.jpg

Test fitting the pieces.

340096_447_full.jpg

I used a laminate trimmer with a carbide 45° blade to put a 1/4" chamfer on the 1/2" aluminum plate to create a V for the hinge segments to sit in. This creates more surface area for welding the hinge together.

340096_448_full.jpg

Test fit the assembly and determined areas where clearance was needed.

340096_449_full.jpg

Used the 45° blade set deeper to cut away clearance areas using the C-clamp as a stop for the trimmer.

340096_450_full.jpg

Hinge wings with clearance.

340096_451_full.jpg

Everything seems to fit well.

340096_452_full.jpg

Off to the welder.

340096_453_full.jpg

When you get done, we need a movie of it working!! cool.gif

Was looking at your drawings again. Any chance of attaching the lower door so it opens and closes with the ramps? Depending on the pivot point, might need some kind of slider on the ramp for a pin to ride in.

Just a thought.

You read my mind. I was just looking at that yesterday. Should be quite simple. I believe I can attach the lower clam shell to the ramps with wire rope attached in-line to a spring. When the ramp drops the cable would go limp. When raised the cable would go taut drawing the clamshell up to its stops and the spring would hold it without being totally rigid. Possibly a small turnbuckle for adjustments.

Good suggestion!

They sure do Diz. I was taught to never wear long sleeve shirts in the shop. Ouch! What's that smell?

2-24-2006

Actually, the welder came to me. I wanted to see if everything should be welded while attached to the trailer. Apparently I have things jigged well enough to weld on their level welding tables.

I checked all of the clearances to make sure the spare tire would fit in-between the lowered bottom half of the clam shell door and the ramp in its lowest position.

The plan is to have the bottom of the clamshell door pull up into position attached to the powered ramp. The door would be held up in position by cables with spring tensioners pulling the door against its stops.

340096_454_full.jpg

The spare tire rack will double as a lever for activating the motion of the ramps. I think I'm going to go with a linear actuator to provide movement. I've found one with buit in limit switches that adjust similar to those on garage door openers.

340096_455_full.jpg

The lever you see sticking out under the ramps is the means of providing movement. The cabled counterbalance springs so equally balance the load that it takes very little effort to fold and unfold the ramps. The lever will be shortened significantly based on tests of the mechanism.

340096_456_full.jpg

2-26-2006

Finished installing the rear clearance lights after polishing the roof in that area. Test fit drip rail and drilled holes for riveting to new 1/8" thick aluminum header. Finished the flexible wiring harness for the lights and rear facing camera on the upper half of the rear door. Installed reversing switch for linear actuator. More polishing.

340096_457_full.jpg

2-27-2006

Spent 6 hours at the welders today. It's a good thing that I stayed and helped/supervised. I had the undivided attention of certified welders. These guys did beautiful work. National Tool and Die Welding in Livonia, MI.

The hinge segments were separated by machine washers and will be replaced by nylon. The hinge assembly was tacked in opposing locations to minimize distortion. The segments were deep welded to the plates to ensure a solid bond. The residual heat didn't allow the hinges to open for close to two hours after welding. The aluminum expanded against the washers and locked the hinge up solid.

We ended up leaving them outside (23°) for about an hour and they unstuck.

340096_459_full.jpg

340096_460_full.jpg

During the cooling process the rest of the tire mount tubes and cross-braces were welded in place. The bolts that held everything together were removed after the joints were welded and their holes filled. After the hinges were separated the matched pairs were welded to the appropriate ramp pieces.

340096_461_full.jpg

The ramps stayed remarkably flat through all that welding. The hinged "flippers were installed and folded back against the longer section. Another cross brace was installed to keep the ramps the proper distance apart. The hinges were put through their range of motion and worked smoothly.

340096_462_full.jpg

Set the ramps back in place and secured them to hinges.

340096_463_full.jpg

Installed spare tire and hooked up steel cables to hinge pin.

340096_464_full.jpg

After 27 turns the counterbalance allow the ramps just hang wherever I set them. There appears to be very little pressure necessary to induce movement.

340096_465_full.jpg

The cable attachment points need to be extended for maximum width so this was as far as I could fold the ramps in. The idler pully also needs to be extended further from the wall to be effective.

340096_469_full.jpg

Kind of looks like a Praying Mantis

340096_467_full.jpg

The hinge in operation.

340096_468_full.jpg

Works like a champ!!

340096_470_full.jpg

This shop does lots of production work so this project was a breath of fresh air for them. I came out of there with a smoker's cough and I haven't smoked in 18 years. These were some hard working welders. The only time they took a break is when the coolant in the unit got too hot. I figure there was about 25 feet of welding in six hours. I also learned first-hand why you need to drill a vent hole. Molten aluminum spits under pressure.

I don't know if I could stand the repetition of a job like that. Every time I go there I see bins and bins of the same part. Year after year.

Any metal that you heat up to a molten state will spit unless that heated air on the other side has somewhere to go. On the race cars, we vent every tube so there is no blowouts from the pressurized air inside the tube blowing out the tubing wall. It doesn't take much to blow out the wall of .049 4130 (chrome moly)tubing.

Update 3-6-06

A week of inelegant fixes. Installed the new 500 lb actuator. It seemed like it was struggling to lift the ramps so I adjusted the counterbalance springs to assist the lift. Added so much lift assist that the lever broke trying to get the assembly to move.

The arm was to be reinforced as it was made of aluminum rigid conduit. I wanted to make final adjustments before finalizing its position. The more powerful actuator did it for me.

I fabricated a replacement out of 3/4" rigid conduit which fit perfectly inside the aluminum conduit. It functioned properly but didn't look vey good compared to the rest of the ramp so I made another arm.

This time I inserted a piece of rigid steel conduit inside the aluminum conduit and bent them together. The third picture below show inelegant but effective adjustment tools.

340096_471_full.jpg

340096_472_full.jpg

340096_474_full.jpg

The next step was to attach the lower clam-shell door. The shape is determined by the external butresses stamped out of aluminum. They were too long for the application so they needed to be trimmed to fit.

340096_473_full.jpg

I disassembled the rear panel and it laid down flat. I determined the exact length needed to make the horizontal seam line up correctly and installed another aluminum-specific saw blade into my 7 1/4" circular saw, clamped down my 8-foot level as a straight edge a zipped right through the metal. The edge was razor sharp and straight as an arrow.

340096_475_full.jpg

340096_476_full.jpg

340096_477_full.jpg

340096_478_full.jpg

Not recommended use of a radial arm saw.

340096_479_full.jpg

All parts cut to size.

340096_480_full.jpg

When I reassembled everything I realized the wood strips on the inside of the lower clam-shell door were interferring with the placement of the spare tire. The 2" wood spacers were no longer necessary as this was an insulated area in its former life. I removed the two-inch pieces of wood and replaced them with 1/2" aluminum struts. This will be covered in the same fiberglass reinforced panel material as the rest of the garage area.

340096_481_full.jpg

The lower door is pulled into position by wires attached to the hinge axle. As the ramps start to extend and drop, the lower door simply drops to the ground on cables that go slack until the door is pulled back up. I'll probably use some type of spring tensioner like that on a screen door. That should provide firm mounting with some give for flexibility.

340096_482_full.jpg

The wires are holding the door in position

340096_483_full.jpg

There's about 3" clearance between the lower ramp section as it swings by the lowering lower gate. I believe that that was just dumb luck.

340096_486_full.jpg

Lower panel snuggly in place.

340096_487_full.jpg