"Toybox" trailer project (2)

Barry Wolk

Dear Barry,Great job.Have you given any thought to how you are going to weather proof the upper and lower clamshell to the sides of the trailer?By the looks of things the only time you can access the spare tire is when the bottom clamshell and ramps are down and fully extended,not much fun on the side of the interstate.diz smile.gif

Thanks Diz,

The upper and lower doors will have a flange that ovelaps the trailer body on both sides. It will overlap within 1/4" of the existing rivet line. There will be a gasket underneath the flange. The top of the door will fit against a compression seal and is further protected by the new rain gutter at the door header.

I don't quite understand your question about the spare. I will have full access to the spare by opening the top and detaching the lower by some means of quick disconnect, like a truck tailgate cable. I can either take it straight out the back (with help) or I can lay it on the ground and detach it. The latter is my preference as I am handicapped and my back is already suffering from this project.

Were you able to view the QT movie?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Barry,Great job.Have you given any thought to how you are going to weather proof the upper and lower clamshell to the sides of the trailer?By the looks of things the only time you can access the spare tire is when the bottom clamshell and ramps are down and fully extended,not much fun on the side of the interstate.diz smile.gif </div></div>

Diz

With six wheels on the trailer, I'd bet he could get the rig off the interstate on five smile.gif

Diz,

Unless I have a catastrophic tire failure I'll know about it long before it fails. I've installed the SmartTire system of sensors in the tires that detect temperature and rate of rise, pressure and rate of drop.

The four screw jacks are fully capable of lifting the entire trailer off the ground so I'll not even need to carry a jack, although I probably will. The lifts are capable of 24,000 lbs.

There's an air chuck just behind the rear wheel on the passenger side capable of delivering 150 psi from a 5 gallon-storage tank. Enough to drive an air impact. The trailer will have a large inverter so I could use an electric impact, if needed.

In an emergency I would leave off both wheels from an axle dump the air from that axle's air bags, add air to the other two sets of airbags and adjust the ride height sensors for proper balance. The axles already have travel restraints that would keep them from dropping into the danger zone. The two remaining 8,000 lb axles would be more than capable of handling the 12,000 lb package.

The garage space is 21 feet long, 3-feet longer than the car, so there are many load shifting possibilities.

it looks good,

my only thought is, the air stream vaccum at the [@!#!$] end of the trailer pulling the doors off at 70 mph.

The rear end is naturely a low pressure zone, and you will get water and air pushing back into the doors.

Those two little wires will create a flapping motion, and the lower claim door would flap and crack.

Take a look at the link below:

http://www.convertiblelincolns.com/

not of the lincoln parts, but for the Dynamax toy hauler that he's got a picture off. I saw on at an RV show last weekend. Big $$

Considering that the lower rear of the trailer had the worst corrosion it turned out pretty good. The first picture shows the original condition on the right, steel wool cleaning in the second and buffed out on the left.

Second picture is the finished assembly.

340096_488_full.jpg

340096_489_full.jpg

Back in place. Check out the reflection of the spool of wire.

340096_490_full.jpg

Started on the upper half of the clam shell by making a template of the curvature. Used dividers to strike a parallel set of lines and rough cut with a jig saw. Used a sanding disc to smooth the outside of the arc.

340096_491_full.jpg

Once the outside curvature was smooth and accurate I used the sanding drum to make the rib a uniform width along its length. I'll use this pattern to make two out of poplar. These will be attached to the horizontal ribs already in place on he upper shell.

340096_492_full.jpg

The template is in place followed by pictures of the arc that the door will take.

340096_493_full.jpg

340096_494_full.jpg

340096_495_full.jpg

340096_496_full.jpg

340096_497_full.jpg

Now for a really dumb question?

Are you going to have a bumper? For your parking mistakes, and the other guy who could really screw up your ramp if he hit you.

Not a dumb question at all. See the two 2" x 6" frame rails? There will be two air pistons alongside the frame members to act as guides for a bumper that will extend 22.5" when the tailgate is up.

As far as me backing into something I think the TV camers should help in that regard.

That's still on the design side but I do have two cylinders on the way.

340096_463_full.jpg

3-7-2006

Fabricated two door bows from the template.

340096_498_full.jpg

Checked fit and installed with spacers to simulate 1/2" door gap. Door gap will be covered by an aluminum strip and seal.

340096_499_full.jpg

Removed wood lateral struts and trimmed aluminum tabs so that material will lay flat on new forms.

340096_500_full.jpg

Installed door panel and scribed for trimming door gap.

340096_501_full.jpg

Trimmed eges and secured panel to new arches.

340096_502_full.jpg

Propped door open to determine length of lift pistons

340096_503_full.jpg

340096_504_full.jpg

Checked for clearance.

340096_505_full.jpg

This is what it looks like unloading the car.

340096_506_full.jpg

Concept drawing.

340096_98_full.jpg

3-10-2006

Reassembly of upper door after installing reinforcements. Metal was heavily corroded but yielded to massive amounts of elbow grease.

340096_509_full.jpg

The "eyebrows" over the rear windows are no longer necessary as the new window will not open and are sealed with a rubber gasket. The holes were filled with rivets and polished to blend in with the surrounding metal.

340096_508_full.jpg

Outside for the first time since fall. It was 65° here today. I actually opened the bay doors to warm up the interior.

340096_510_full.jpg

Trying to find the right tail lights. The rear windows will be blacked out.

340096_511_full.jpg

Still have lots of polishing to do.

340096_512_full.jpg

Hey Barry, How about starting a "Toybox" Trailer Project (3) thread? We have fast Internet service and a fast computer but with all the photos this thread is taking awhile to load now. Some of the folks here have dial-up service and it makes it very slow for them.

This is a fascinating project to watch come together. Hopefully in the future I will get to see it in person. laugh.gif

What do you think?