Transmission leak question

bhclark

HELP!

I've got a leaky transmission. (pretty sure it's an ST400-'65 Wildcat)

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things

1. Duh, the main gasket

2. the "connector" (this is what it is labeled on the tranny diagram, but I can find no other reference to it.)

This is a small item that is hooked up behind the linkage and in front of the speedo gear. It has electrical wires running from it.

So, I have a few questions.

1. What the heck is the "connector" and what does it do?

2. How do you get it out? It twists about 45 degrees in each direction but doesn't seem to want to come out. I'm assuming it's the o-ring that needs replaced?

3. If I pull the pan to replace the gasket, should I replace the strainer and strainer o-ring or can these be cleaned?

Picture attached. (I just wiped this down half an hour ago)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

post-41915-143137886022_thumb.jpg

I would put my money on the electrical connectors O-ring being bad. Congradulations, since it is a 1965 transmission, that is a switch-pitch model, which is very desirable. Google switch-pitch for an explanation.

Reading my factory service manual, my 1964 non-switch pitch electrical connector has locking tabs on the back. If your 65 is the same, you will need to drop the pan, and then squeeze the tabs and the connector will come out, and which point you can replace the o-ring.

It doesn't look like a horrible leak.

I recommend parking on cardboard. grin.gif

Just a note of caution: Be VERY gentle when you squeeze the tabs on the switch housing. The plastic will probably be brittle from the heat and exposure to transmission fluid for all those years. I broke one of these on my '64 Riviera and it was hard to find a replacement (expensive too!). If you are careful, you should be able to remove the switch without any problems. Good Luck

I'm wondering if they're already partially broken, as the connecror feels very loose. (do you have a part number for that tab, as I can't find it in my parts list.)

I'm currently trying to source all potential parts before deciding to tackle this myself.

Any advice on how to minimize the mess created by the transmission fluid? I've never dropped a pan before. As long as all I touch is the filter and connector, I can't do any damage, right?

Thanks!

Dropping the pan is a sure fire way to make a nice mess. If at all possible, you could go to Home Depot, or equavilent) and buy a large plastic tub for mixing cement. This ought to be big enough to get under the entire transmission for the task.

Then loosen and remove every other screw on the pan. Next, start from one corner (which ever is easiest for your application) , remove the screws from the corner and then loosen but do not remove the rest of the screws.

If your gasket is holding everything together, the pan will not drop. You may have to break the seal from the corner where you removed the bolts first. The objective here is to let the pan down slowly in one corner so the fluid pours out in a controlled fashion into your receptacle.

You may want to watch out for the situation where you break the seal and the pan drops off entirely all at once because all the bolts were loosened too much.

Good luck

JD

I believe that electrical connector you need is available new but I cannot find the exact source. I was able to purchase a replacement back about 10 years ago when I broke mine. You may have to do a bit of internet searching to find it. I think it would be best to avoid a used part because it is likely to be as brittle as your original one. Dropping the pan and replacing the connector is messy but not terribly difficult. Take your time and you'll be OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any advice on how to minimize the mess created by the transmission fluid? I've never dropped a pan before. As long as all I touch is the filter and connector, I can't do any damage, right?

Thanks! </div></div>

Changing transmission fluid on a car without a drain plug is one of the most fun things in the world. Just get prepared first by pouring fresh ATF down both arms, drizzle a little in your hair, and maybe a hint on your chest. Then you are ready to change it.

I say loosen all the bolts, and then break the seal. Let that drip out for a while. I recommend a tub, as posted above, and plenty of cardboard under the front of the car if you value what you are chaning the fluid on. You really can't hurt anything in your transmission by taking the pan off unless you decide to get busy with a crowbar.

Dropping the pan is a great time to change the filter and its o-ring. Is should just snap into place or have a single bolt. The filter is available at most auto parts stores, I bought mine (still sitting on the shelf) at O'Reilly.

if it's a car you might be keeping for a long while, and want to change fluid every 20k as I reccomend, you might as well go to the extra trouble and instal a drain plug in the pan while you have it off. Find a safe place in the pan where a short plug won't interfer with anything in the trans, and drill a 1/2 hole in the pan. You can purchase a drain plug at any parts store. Commercial hardware stores sell special nuts that are only half as thick as a regular nut. Put the nut on the inside of the pan with the plug screwed in tightly through the pan, then braze the nut in place.

A little extra trouble, but the next time you have to drain the fluid, you will be a happy man. I have serviced many a transmission in my career, and all the afore mentioned problems are made even worse when the pan is full of "hot" fluid, and doing flat rate, you don't have the luxery of waiting for the fluid t cool.Nothing like a pan full of really hot oil down the front of your shirt to make your day. doesn't smell very good, either!!