Steering wheel repair

WJW

I'm interested in the same subject. I have a '51 S88 with a really nice steering wheel, except for one crack at the very top. It's not too wide, perhaps a 1/16 or so.

I used to restore old tractors and there were places you could send your steering wheel and they would remove the old rubber/plastic down to the steel, and re-mould it back to new. I haven't seen any services like this for autos. Of course, tractor wheels were much more basic, they were meant to steer, not impress.

Hope someone can help us! Thanks

Yes you still can get wheels recast but it's very pricey. I think i've seen some "repair" kits advertised but have no experiance. What I do is drip super glue into the crack or ding and quickly before it hardens dust baking soda into the glue. The glue instantly hardens into a hard sandable plastic. I then sand and prime the wheel and paint with acrylic enamel. I know, I know, it sounds crazy but I have a friend that is a professional model and prototype builder who works with all kinds of plastics and casting materials. They use this technique in the shop all the time to repair defects. The first wheel I repaired this way is now in service 6 years and still looks like new. Try the technique on some junk parts first and see how it works....Bob.

It seems to act as a catylist and filler. My friend gave me a "puffer" they use to apply the soda. It's just a little squeeze bottle with a tube to puff the soda onto the glue. When the soda hits the glue it very quickly solidifies into a plastic. The nice thing about the glue is it gets right to the bottom of thin cracks. You can build up multiple coats if necessary. I would say to get some junk plastic, or whatever, and play around till you get the hang of the process and see if it's right for you. I've used it on a number of wheels, interior plastic parts, etc. with excellant results. Just fill and sand. The price is certainly right and it works for me........Bob

I just looked over the POR 15 kit. I'm not running POR 15 down I've used some of their stuff with good results.........But, if you look at the kit, they are charging $79 for a few ounces of epoxy putty you can buy for $3.95 at any good hardware store. The rest of the stuff is crap you most likely have laying around or can improvise. Of course I'm known for being "frugal". I buy the best tools, paint, materials, etc. that I can, but if I can do something better/cheaper I'm right there......Bob.

I have use POR-15 products with great success. You won't be able to glue the wheel back together so you need to fill. My friend has been restoring antique vehicles for 30 years he simply just uses some brand of premium body fill and then paints the wheel. He did a very cracked up wheel for me a few years ago and it is holding up excellent.

There are many vendors out there that do steering wheel repairs and the last one I had sent out was $95 and that included having it painted. There is a guy here locally (Daves from Carlisle) that has a good reputation and advertises in Hemmings.

The super glue/baking soda doesn't "glue" the wheel together it is a sandable filler that's best suited for smaller cracks. But there are lots of ways to skin the steering wheel repair cat that give acceptable results. Enjoy the project and profit from gaining new knowledge and experiance.....Bob.

Actually you guys inspired me. The wheel on the 55 I'm restoring now is a mess, I figured beyond worth saving. I was just going to buy a new one. After looking again at it today, I'm going to restore the damn thing myself. I'll probably use some of everything mentioned since it has cracks ranging from hairline to Grand Canyon size. Should be fun..........Bob

Guest Silverghost

I have had good luck using a two-part Epoxy called PC-7 which you can find at most hardware stores!!! It is very strong + will fill small cracks as well as replace large missing chunks!!!

Another Product that is similar is called Marine-Tex Epoxy... It can be drilled sanded molded and painted!!! It can be found in Grey-Black & White...Most marine & Boat supply stores have it!!!

Both Epoxys have high-strenth bonds + can be shaped, drilled, sanded etc...And Painted!!!

Both products will make a half-pint and cost under $20. !!!

Go for it. What's to lose and you may learn something to help us all out. I have used Marine-Tex for spot repairs on my Amphicar and do like it however it has a short working window that may or may not be good for you. Good luck and let us know the end results, good or bad.