Gerat Chadwick Six

uncletommy

Thanks Ed for reminding me of this thread. 

Ohio first required automobile registration in 1908.

In 1910 Ohio license plate #406 was  assigned to H. Coulby Rockefeller Bldg Cleveland for a Chadwick serial number #103 60 HP gas powered automobile. 

Charley Kulchar

• Like 1

Hi Charley, I remember well the first time I saw a Chadwick. It made quite an impression. They are large and unique. Sadly I think all of them now are in one collection......and they don’t get out much anymore. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Sadly I think all of them now are in one collection......and they don’t get out much anymore. 

Ed M, Did the one in California get sold? I haven't talked with **** ***** in a few years now, but he has been a long-time member in the Horseless Carriage Club Regional Group I have belonged to for about 25 years. He and I shared a table at a Horseless Carriage Club banquet some years back, and discussed his Chadwick for at least an hour. He was sure determined to make everything on that car as right as possible. I do hope he succeeded.

Although I maintain my membership in the club, I have been pretty much out of touch for about ten years now. I do still hope to get back into the activities before much longer.

I recall seeing a Chadwick in the collection of the late Mark Smith in Virginia this fall.  I believe it came from California along with the 1905 REO that I had gone to look at.

Edited by Akstraw (see edit history)

I have never followed the surviving cars closely. What I was led to believe may be incorrect. It was my understanding that there were two “correct cars”.........take that with a grain of salt. I was told there was one “floor sweepings” car. About eight years ago, it was my understanding that all three were in the same collection, but I only saw two of them at that time and managed a ride........another long story, to make it short I jumped in the car while it was coming off a trailer and being put “away”. So I managed a ride of about two or three tenths of a mile..........It was implied at the time the car probably wouldn’t be out of the shop running for a very long time...........that’s why I jumped in to their annoyance figuring I was my last chance in my lifetime to gat a ride. Please don’t post names or location details..........don’t want to irritate anyone.

Maybe someone knows the history of all three/four cars? If so, please comment if you are able without disclosing names/places of current owners.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

867369879_1915_Chadwick_Touring_CarSmall.jpg.f9fe9048e158d75a9836dc8bf93f25bb.jpgI would love to see an original Chadwick.  Attached is a picture of my grandfather’s 1915 Chadwick.  He and my grandmother are in the center.  I only found about the car a few years ago.  I can imagine how my father must have felt ridding in that massive car as a little boy.  A family member has the original picture.  In it, the kids in the family are photobombing the picture by peeking out around and under the car.  One is my father.   I have been trying to contact that cousin to get a scan of the picture.  I guess being a car guy runs in the family. 

Any info on the location on the originals would be greatly appreciated. 

• 1 year later...

This photo came up in the Forgotten Chicago Discussion Facebook group and I thought it would be of interest to people here. While the REO and Pullman ghost signs are the most obvious you'll also see a smaller one for the Chadwick Six. 

The photo was posted by someone who had discovered a large collection of slides showing Chicago architecture. This photo appears to be late 70's or early 80's. 

ReoChadwickPullman.jpg

Edited by WTSHNN (see edit history)
  • Like 6